“The Drake: Five Star Service and More”

Drake Hotel Toronto
Ranked #6 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“The Drake: Five Star Service and More”
Reviewed 11 September 2011

The hotel is nicely renovated. Many old details remain (the terrazzo, in particular) and many new additions (the art, for instance) give the Drake a great look. It's not over-designed, by any means, and it comes off as interesting and real rather than mindlessly sleek. But it's the service that makes the Drake worth the stay. I arrived days before the film festival and the hotel was already packed. The sight of stacks of luggage behind the front desk was enough to tell me my room wasn't ready, but I was a few hours early, anyway. That was all right, I wanted a drink, really, and I told the woman behind the desk, Kayla, exactly that. She stepped from behind the desk and took me to the bar, introduced me to the bartender, Stephen, and asked me what I needed (a drink, a room), what I wanted to do during my four-day stay (bike, eat, art, drink), and moments later I was drinking a Creemore (a Canadian amber lager) Stephen recommended, and talking to Kiki, a Drake manager, about bike, eat, art, drink in Toronto . . .
Within five minutes of my arrival, I had three positive contacts with the hotel’s staff. And it was busy. Very busy. I was impressed. And I had three days, twenty-three hours and fifty-five more minutes of my stay remaining . . .
My room was a “crashpad,” Room 203, small, but smartly designed. I’ve stayed in larger rooms that felt smaller and were far less comfortable. The shower, sink and toilet were elevated from the rest of the room and each separated by a glass partition. The bathroom fixtures were modern and the glass surprisingly spotless. The queen-sized bed had expensive linens and four big pillows. I had plenty of racks and hooks to stow my stuff and the Drake even provided a terrycloth robe. My favorite touch was the umbrella. Every hotel ought to provide its guests with an umbrella, I think . . .
I loved Toronto. Always a glass of water with a glass of beer. Dogs allowed on the streetcars. Washroom sounds so much better that bathroom. Brunch 24/7. The quietest big city ever, seldom a siren or a raised voice. Best city to ride a bicycle in, by far, even though I saw a girl get doored on Ossington Avenue . . .
And the Drake. I loved the Drake. Kayla got me a bike to ride and when I broke it Jonathan, the hotel manager, got me another. When I wanted gallery suggestions, no one was more helpful than Meghan in the café. When I wanted to know who Jack was—the Jack mourned in chalk graffiti all over the walls surrounding city hall—Charlie and Meghan told me about Jack Layton, and I glimpsed the collective grief of a nation without reading a newspaper . . .
And then there was Tony. Every encounter with Tony was delightful. I always seemed to catch him as he was leaving, accounting textbook in hand, off to study, earnest and eager as he is, but equally as eager and earnest to take time out to get me a latte or a table for breakfast. Or just time to chat with me about my day, a solo traveler, 500 miles from home . . .

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank vsirin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 29 August 2011

I am an artist from LA with family and business in the Toronto area. I spent five nights at the Drake over a two week period and was just as impressed with the staff, service, room and food as I was when I last stayed there over five years ago. An urban hotel that you want to hang out at to conduct business, have fun and just relax. Not to mention the many food outlets are amazing. I can’t wait to come back; it just hit it on the nail. More cities should try this :) Gary

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Gary B
Greenbelt, Maryland
Reviewed 23 August 2011

We had never been to Toronto, and I found a recommendation saying this place was "hip". Indeed! We were by far the oldest visitors (by about 20yrs), were made to feel very welcomed and taken care of. The cafes were great, the room or "crashpad" amazing, and all the people who worked there were extremely pleasant and helpful. Couldn't recommend it more!

Especially if you're young, the nightlife is fantastic!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank avishc
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 22 August 2011

If you want to experience Toronto off the beaten path, make the Drake your home base. We loved the hotel itself (ok, yes: small rooms and breakfast was not to be repeated but), the staff, the boutique, using the Drake bikes to go down to the lake and its location for great boutiques, restos and cafes. Get a pass for the trams and use them to get into town if you're lazy.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank El_Mudo_11
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 21 August 2011

We had an amazing night at the Drake. Staff were exceptional and met all of our requests. The ground level bar was fun and cutting in line with our room keys was awesome. In room bathing products were very nice and the room was suprisingly spacious, comfortable and very well designed. 6 of us very much enjoyed lounging in the room and couldn't hear any of the bars until we opened the door.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank kristye28
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2011

I stayed at the Drake for just over a week. I was very happy with the location, the neighbourhood, and the gym membership for guests. I was solo so the crashpad room was alright for me, and I knew what I was expecting by reading previous reviews about the size of the room. The look of the room, hallways, and the entire hotel had a lot of detail. A friend staying in another hotel visited and loved the 80s movie quotes strewn throughout the place. Given its vibrant nightlife (which is eclectic and fun), I asked for and got one of the quieter rooms on the top floor and never heard a peep from the many bars. The only time noise was an issue was my last night from the neighbouring room; perhaps the couple had ordered something from the Pleasure Menu, which apparently and audibly did its job over and over again in the night and early morning. My other issue was the wi-fi signal that frustratingly got weak the further you went into the top floor hallway and became nearly zero upon entering the room. Glad they had the computer and printer for guests to use.

But the thing I’ll remember about the place was the genuine and superlative service from the front desk, the cafe, the bars, and the security guards on the busy nights. (You really do feel like a rock star bypassing the queues since you’re a guest). You get the sense that the front desk staff will go an extra mile to provide good, personable service. Kayla of the front desk got me hooked on the cafe’s scones near the end of my stay, and I have to come back to try the donuts.

I would easily stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank vansensei2001
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 August 2011

My husband and I got married in May 2011 at the Drake hotel - the staff, service, venue, food and room surpassed all our expectations.

From the earliest stages of the planning process, Ashley, the Drake's wonderful event coordinator, made planning our wedding easy and fun. She helped us create the vision we wanted for our special day, and did all the work, so we could just do the fun stuff.
The wedding night itself was perfect. The food was absolutely incredible and we received so many compliments from our guests. The music by DJ Dougie Boom kept the dance floor packed all night. We received so many comments from our guests about the amazing service at the wedding- from the wait staff, to the bar staff, to the hotel staff. Jerry was great at welcoming everyone at the door (he kept our party goers happy and kept crashers out!). Many of our guests were so impressed that they emailed either us or the Drake staff the next day. It was great to hear that the staff weren't just helpful to us, (as the ones footing the bill!) but they were equally as dedicated to making sure everyone there enjoyed themselves.

Jonathan, the hotel manager, was helpful both during the weeks leading up to the wedding and on the night itself.

Our room was great! Since it was our wedding night, we treated ourselves to the suite. It was quite large and I love the design of everything - the room itself is like a work of art - but there is also plenty of cool looking art on the walls - two TV's too. I felt like I could just hang out in the room for days! There are lots of neat little touches too - design books and magazines, gourmet snacks and drinks in the mini-bar, luxury soap and shampoo in the bathroom, etc.

My parents also had a room, the salon room, smaller than the suite, but it was still spacious enough for a bride, a niece, and three ladies to get ready for a wedding in, two photographers taking pictures, a mom standing by with moral support and a brother-of-honour...basically standing around I guess.

My parents commented that when they went to the cafe for breakfast, the staff knew who they were right away and asked about the wedding - my parents loved that!

The Drake is a great place to have dinner, to have drinks, to stay overnight, or to have an event. The atmosphere, the design and the food are all top notch, but I would say that the service and the staff are what sets the Drake apart.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple