“The Best Hotel in the world with the Best Staff”

Drake Hotel Toronto
Ranked #6 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
London, United Kingdom
“The Best Hotel in the world with the Best Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

I can not stress how wonderful this Hotel is! The decor : outstanding, The food: out of this world, The drinks: try the Mojitos amazing!, The rooms: clean, gorgeous,wonderfully designed,pure indulgence The service: the best I have ever come across, The entertainment; blows you away
a score of 200%. My whole stay over the New year was a sheer pleasure and joy it felt like being at home but in sheer luxurious style. The staff are a huge part of the experience Jonathan, Greg (pronounced with Scottish accent!) Sonia to name but a few could not have been more helpful and even when I kept them chatting they did not bat an eye lid! the personal touches makes this Hotel standout, it would take far more than the 50 characters allocated to list them all. I would actually go so far to say i would go back to Toronto just so I could stay at the Drake :)

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank juliette l

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Turkish first
Arnprior, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2011

You stay at some places and you can feel the history.

You stay at the Drake and you can feel the vibe.

This place is the coolest hotel I have ever stayed in.

The rooms are ultra-funky, the restraunt is top notch and the bar (balcony and main floor) is the place to be.

The location is a little distance from the center of Toronto, but well worth it.

The staff are as hip as the place it self.

Definately worth the splurge.

Definately.

Room Tip: I had a street side room - corner room. Nice look out over Queen Street. Louder but.....
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank TBS-Funtimes
Saint Thomas, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2011

I took my husband to the drake for a romantic birthday weekend in November. We stayed in a den on a Saturday night, and had breakfast at the cafe on the Sunday morning.

Our room was gorgeous. My husband was blown away by the sexy ensuite bathroom with frosted glass sliding doors. I loved the rockin' MCM furniture pieces and fresh art throughout the room - especially the friendly stuffed figure propped up on our bed!

The staff was friendly and helpful. Not only did they remember to wish my husband a happy birthday as we checked in, but they also took the time to write a Happy Birthday postcard to my husband, which was waiting for us in our room. They really helped to make my husband's birthday special. When we were heading out to another venue, the staff took the time to ensure we had proper directions and knew the best route to take to our destination.

We slept soundly, with no issues at all. The next morning, we had a lovely breakfast in the Drake cafe. My husband was very pleased with his lumberjack breakfast (I especially loved the hashbrowns!) and I had the eggs benedict - amazing. My favorite part of the breakfast was my latte. Amazing.

All in all, the Drake hotel has surpassed all our expectations, and we will be booking another trip soon! An absolutely outstanding hotel.

Room Tip: Our den was very spacious, I can't imagine needing more room. I'm sure we would have been ha...
1 Thank Carlene M
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

My wife and I spent three nights at the Drake recently. At every corner the staff went out of their way to make sure that we had everything we needed. Jonathan, the manager, grabbed our bags and carried them to our room, then refused a tip. He gave us wonderful dinner ideas and then made the reservations for us. JIll, at the front desk, was also a warm, welcoming and kind host. Upon every return, she would ask us where we had been and about the interesting things we had found in the neighborhood. We had drinks at thte hotel every night - who would have thunk that the hotel was the place we would want to be? We had great service first from Kim downstairs then later from Stuart upstairs. The food was pretty good too. Who could complain about pretzels and proscuitto? The rooms are clean, interesting and large - at least much larger than the dumpy hotel we stayed in after we got bumped from our flight home. I would certainly reserve a room at the Drake for my next trip to Toronto.

Room Tip: We really liked 205. Didn't get a chance to see the others.
1 Thank Jeremy A
Fitzroy, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

Loved the music and artworks - great spot , highly recommended

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Wasaga Beach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

Our home away from home....our own piece of Heaven in the city...our wee delicious, cozy and perfect Crashpad of delight...our pretend 'apartment in the city'... Jonathan - the best hotel Manager ever...engaging, sweet, funny, accomodating, generous (did I mention funny?)...so eager to please - so intent to make your stay a totally sublime adventure - so keen that you are loving every aspect of your stay he is genuinelly crushed if it is less than perfection and will do whatever he can to make sure all is corrected. He will storm off mid-sentence with the speed of a gazelle making sure whatever it is you need is being taken care of immediately while stopping to say good-bye to this guest and welcoming the next guest with a hug...running out in the rain to get someone's luggage and helping someone figure out their parking situation (while off-duty). Bringing Chef Rose over to the table to share foodie-tips and making sure the wait-staff we will be seeing later has our table ready upstairs...again, whilst off-duty. He is a gem... a rare gem...enjoy him when you are there because you shan't find another like him in this vast city of cold impersonal hotels.
Kayla - she of the angelic smile - kind, impossibly pretty...a 'throw your arms around her like she is your long-lost little sister' kind of young lady....the way you want your daughter to turn out if you had one. Noteable mentions in the lounge and Sky yard... barkeep Gord - he of the jaunty vest and apt hand with a martini shaker - remembers us from several previous visits and still as lovely, friendly and generous as always...Asia and Stuart our dinner servers in the Sky Yard Fri. and Sat....perfect examples of exceptionally attentive and accomodating servers without exhibiting a smidge of 'acting this way for a good tip'...Stuart was spot-on with his wine suggestion - both were knowledgeable about the food and specials and answered all questions expertly and without the bored impatient exasperation one often gets by wait-staff in the city. I ran into Asia a few other times in the hotel and she addressed me by name and a big warm smile...love that attention to detail.The aptly named David Good was our server in the lounge Fri...he was quietly cheeky...attentive and sweet but with that saucy surprising edge that makes the Drake so fun. Jeff our 'Saturday drinks in the afternoon' server - extremely knowledgeable about bourbon and wine as well as clever, funny and able to fire back a quip - another example of making us feel like family here - the staff engages each guest so perfectly. This was our fifth trip back to The Drake for a two-day visit. We were treated, as usual, like family. The front-desk staff, starting with the beautiful Zoe at check-in who said 'everyone was looking forward to having us back' before she lugged my huge bag up the stairs, are exactly who you want to greet you when you are travelling. There is always a smile, always a "Welcome home", always an eager hand to help you with your bags, to bring you ice, to make sure you are having the time of your life....to ask how your walk was and what did you see?...when you have retired for a bite to eat they are there to top up your ice water without you having to crane your neck around to find someone...did I mention they are all impossibly glamourous and lovely looking?
The Drake staff have written the book on the fine art of hosting - this is very very rare. We poked around while having a drink at 'that other place' up the road from The Drake...quirky and eccentric old Dame of a hotel as well, but the staff was indifferent and dare I say a bit snobby?? Back home to The Drake and all is well.
The food is marvelous - we recommend the lobster nachos, the fresh burrata with home made pretzel and prosciutto, the half a chicken....the Drake burger is the best anywhere, bar-none and the fries are what fries should be - perfect golden sticks of deep fried Heaven - not soggy limp after-thoughts to fill up the plate...the edamame is limey, salty and exceptional, the mac and cheese divine with an unexpected hit of chili flake - there is no need to eat anyhere else as long as Chef Rose and his team are at the helm...don't even think about it.
Even check-out time was painless thanks to adorable, quick-witted Craig at the front deck - somehow during the course of check-out we covered a few bad 90's musicians with poor hair-do choices, former grocery store muzac selections, what a few former entertainment show presenters are doing now and 'who can remember their names while the Google search is doing its thing' and what to do on a wet cold day...
Ah... The Drake...even checking out leaves you chuckling, smiling and already planning your next trip back and hoping all those same terrific people are still there.
Drake staff - thank you once again for making our wee trip fantastic - you guys are the best! See you February 2013! Ms. Riley

Room Tip: Call and be specific about what you want or what you care about...good sleeper, ask for room 203 - l...
4 Thank WasagaBeachMax
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2011

Kayla: possibly the nicest human being I've ever encountered.
Jonathan: if you need anything done, he can do it.
The hotel front desk is nothing short of amazing.

Rooms are funky, cool and a lot of fun. Great use of space; glass shower walls are a blast.

Sushi bar in the lounge is the real deal; sit at the bar and soak up the atmosphere--incredibly friendly staff.

Hotel is about 10 minutes from the 'core' of the City--but, you don't need to leave this area, it's awesome!

Room Tip: Crash pad is fine--enjoy the food and drinks and pass out in your room!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo