“Home away from home.”

Ranked #6 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Montreal, Canada
“Home away from home.”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I was in Toronto for a short weekend trip to see a couple of art exhibitions, and decided to book a night at the Drake because I was also checking out a show at their music venue.

Since I was solo, I initially booked the tiniest room..with a twin bed, but was pleasantly surprised to have gotten an upgrade to a double.

I really loved the room. There were lots of nice little touches such as the Malin + Goetz shampoo and body wash products. And a welcome note with a little bag of popcorn. I also liked the practicality and usage of space of the room...the toilet, shower and sink. Nice warm and cozy lighting and exposed brick wall. I think it's the first hotel that I've stayed at where my room felt closest to being home. I was actually feeling a little sad to leave and wished I was staying longer than just one night.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank HC-Mtl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Turkish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We are definitely hotel enthusiasts and huge foodies so it was a no-brainer that we were staying at the Drake Hotel for our first visit to Toronto after viewing their beautiful website and many fantastic reviews and let me tell you, they did not disappoint.

Our visit started as we stumbled into the drake at the wee hours of the morning. We were greeted right away by Sebastien who gave us some really good pointers on the various must-visit restaurants and places in Toronto. Sebastien made us feel right at home as he shared his extensive (and impressive!!) knowledge about the drake hotel with us thus easing some of our travelling stress.

We stayed in the crash Pad, which exceeded our expectations. The room might be cozy but offers exactly what any traveller needs. In terms of cleanliness the room (and hotel for that matter) was extremely clean and satisfied all our needs.

The staff is very efficient and clearly a solid team tending to the needs of their guests in every manner. Must I say the attention to detail! Every corner we turned we were continually impressed by the artwork and constantly spotting something new.

With no doubt In my mind the staff of the Drake Hotel is unlike no other and will forever be our home away from home for any of our future endeavours in Toronto.

Room Tip: Check out the Vintage Photo-Booth for some memorable pictures!
1 Thank M_Andreecal
Stratford, Canada
Reviewed 20 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Drake during out recent visit to Toronto as it was highly recommended from our good friend. We absolutely loved it!!!! The location was fantastic, lots of trendy restaurants and cafes close by....never a dull moment and always something to do. The rooms were very clean and we loved the decor. Usually all hotels rooms like the same, but not at the Drake! The staff were extremely knowledgable and very friendly. We are definitely going to stay here on our next trip to Toronto.

Room Tip: The staff will work with you to ensure you get what you are looking for!
1 Thank Jenny F
West Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 18 October 2013

My wife and I drove from West Chicago, IL to Toronto for our Honeymoon. We wanted to stay in a unique place thad had a lot of style. My Wife found The Drake Hotel online and booked it on the spot. Once we finally made it there, I knew immediately that I was going to like this place by the vintage/stylish decor mixed with the modern graphics and classic furniture. It was as though the place was built exactly for me. The service was exceptional! Jon at the front desk was a fantastic help checking in along with Jonathan who was a rockstar at checking us out and getting us back on the road as quickly as possible.

The rooms are hot mix of artsy and modern style (with a kick of kinky thrown in). The lounge that is connected to the lobby was littered with vintage lighting, great music and a fun crowd. Service was very professional and dressed to match the atmosphere. I really cant say enough about how great this place is and how well they treated my wife and I.

1 Thank goast01
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Everything about my stay at the Drake Hotel was 100% fantastic. I was traveling alone with my 6 month old baby and trying to book a room at other hotels proved difficult once I mentioned I would have my baby with me. But not at the Drake Hotel. I had never heard of the hotel so I found it in an internet search, gave a call and Blair in reception happily booked us the smallest room as requested over the phone. But by the time we got there he had moved us into a much larger room (I think two or three upgrades up) at no extra cost. How nice is that?! I'm still blown away.

Beyond that, the room was great: perfectly clean, filled with cool and interesting things to look at and enjoy (the snack and drink selection alone are beyond any expectation - you won't be disappointed and you will want it all), comfortable mattress I wanted to take home with me, breakfast room service was incredible (I ordered the most basic one but it was still like a Thanksgiving celebration), the parking spot was a lifesaver with the baby and all, and the shower and bath products made it like a spa vacation.

I don't know where I can duplicate the experience of the beyond-excellent customer service and the value for what I got anywhere else on earth. I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Room 306 was awesome! Nice view of a tree outside. But I'm guessing all the rooms are awesome!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Beck S
Somerville, MA
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I was surprised to read a couple of reviews warning weary travellers in need of peace and quiet against staying at the Drake Hotel. The Crash Pad room I reserved, situated on the third floor, was behind two layers of soundproofing and as quiet and dark as a tomb when I went to bed at 10 p.m., the party still raging downstairs.

When you arrive, any time of day or night, you'll be greeted by a well-informed staff member who can hang onto your bags if you're too early to go to your room. I ate a salad in the dining room, then returned to the desk to learn that my bags had been spirited up to my room. Check-in was quick and thorough.

Okay, so you're in. Now what? A wacky doll-like creature left on the pillow! Intriguing visual art over the bed! Lots of sweet little touches, and then you realize that your room isn't just cute, it's beautifully lit and luxuriously appointed, with huge, comfortable beds made up with the softest cotton sheets and clean, thick carpets underfoot.

Ah, but what happens when you wake up? Well, you enjoy the Malin + Goetz toiletries and great water pressure in the shower, then tumble downstairs to the Cafe for fresh pastries, delicious coffee (and too many refills to count) and a complimentary copy of the Globe and Mail, served up by kind folks who clearly love their jobs and know all about the hotel and the area. There were all types in all of the dining facilities, by the way, and everybody (older people, young families, very young hipsters, single women like me) got treated with respect and good humor.

There's a streetcar stop across the street. The Bixi (bike-sharing) station is two blocks down. A cab ride from Eireann Quay, where Porter flights land, is about twenty bucks. The front desk staff are always on deck and will sell or lend you all kinds of stuff, like subway/streetcar/bus tokens and maps.

The Drake is adorable, and sometimes adorable can be irritating if there isn't any substance there. But the thing with the Drake is, its adorableness seems as though it was thoughtfully layered on only _after_ they'd taken care of being hospitable, friendly and safe. This, I feel is crucial. It's a great hotel and that gives it the wiggle room to be a quirky hotel. Great plus quirky is my favorite! Oh, and affordable. Great plus quirky plus affordable!

Highly recommended for all, although I think I'll ask them to remove the Pleasure Menu before I return with my two-year-old.

Room Tip: The Crash Pad rooms look smaller on the web site than they really are, and the space is used beautif...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank MorleyMcNeal
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2013

The Drake is situated in the trendy Queen St West area of Toronto and is surrounded by plenty of bars, restaurants and coffee shops. The hotel itself has a very popular bar and it gets pretty lively on the weekend so be warned - if you're looking for a quiet retreat this probably isn't for you. If however you're looking for a friendly, popular and cool boutique hotel you could do a lot worse. We'll definitely be going back.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple