“Fantastic” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Vernon, Canada
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

I came to Toronto to visit my girlfriend and wanted to make it a special occasion. The Drake Hotel impressed in every way. The rooms are beautifully designed and the food was great, especially the Chicken & Waffles on the brunch menu. A special mention to Gordon, our bartender at the Sky Lounge, fantastic service and excellent cocktails.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Turkish first
Sudbury, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

So, I will be fair here. I am normally a business hotel kind of person and my wife and I are in our late 40's. So bearing that in mind, I will try to be as objective as possible.

The Drake is, without a doubt, interesting. When we booked, we wanted to stay close to some shops we were checking out AND we want to 'shake it up': a little searching on the WEB came up with the Drake: which of course is a famous 'hipster' boutique hotel in the Fashion and Design district of Queen West.

So in point form:
1. Location: well parking is in a municipal lot which is not a huge bother as its across the street: and if you want an interesting array of places to eat...the location is great: and easy access to the Gardiner Express Way, and a nice 30 minute walk to the business district (or 10 minute street car). So its actually a good location.

2. Service: Service at arrival was great, and the evening manager addressed our every need. Service in the second floor bar/dining...not great: 20 minutes to get a beer refill after ordering it..and that was pretty much the theme of the evening. The 'beautiful' people beside ( a group of young woman) were getting their shots of whiskey every few minutes...but my wife and I could not get the attention of the woman serving..and we actually laughed at the table about how she was talking it up with the young girls but blatantly either ignored us or was simply distracted by the 'hip' crowd (and the tables are 8 inches apart..so there was not way not see our attempts to get service). I would hope she was just distracted by her peers. Nice kid, just young I suppose...Too bad she forgot that's its people like me with the money to really provide the big tips!

3. Room: well...interesting and fun: very well designed and very 'hip' for such a small room. Hard to describe. Look..its an old hotel right..so you have to take certain things at pace. Many people complain about the noise, but that was never an issue for us in Room 302. The heater fan could not be stopped so the room was very dry, and the phone didn't work..but the manger noticed that and came up and gave us his cell if we needed to call (again, great service!!). But in General ..good.

4. Food: disappointing: along with the poor service, there was a genuine attempt to have very 'hip' food for a very 'hip' crowd: WAY TOO 'wannabe': They try to delver some very interesting plates...but they didn't pull it off well. I had the braised boar which was terribly dry and my wife's salad was...dull. Our starter as a mixed board which was plain and ok..but hardly anything to rave about. Again, trying to get a drink was very slow: maybe they were just having an off night..

In general, if you want an interesting night on Queen West, the Drake will do it. It's an interesting experience and worth trying once for the experience. You have to remember that nearly everyone working there is a young wannabe 'bohemian': I think they all are trying to deliver a good experience and for the most part it works: but don't expect the 'Four Seasons'...and at $289 for a very VERY small queen room...its not exactly a cheap experiment.

Would we go back? Maybe. If we needed to be in Queen West, then the Drake is a viable option...even for old boring people like us!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
7 Thank ncs_traveller
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

Simply put....we had a great experience. We were in the city from out of town for a birthday celebration and chose The Drake based on location and some knowledge of the hotel's history. We were met at the door by the staff, all in smiles. The young man at the front desk checked us in promptly and offered to carry our bags upstairs. When we opened the door into our room, a Crash Pad, we found a delightful room with lots of extras. ( I won't give them all away!) On Sunday, we enjoyed brunch downstairs ( I had the Short Stack...pancakes with blueberries, lemon curd and ricotta!). We will rave about the facilities and the staff to all our friends and family! Oh, and the reserved parking was great, too!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rgreen79
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

First I'd like to say that me n my fience were blown away by the decor in our room(studio) it was finominal. Never have I stayed at a hotel that was so sheik, artistic and original not even the high end Hilton or Sheraton could compete. I would definetly stay there again and next time take advantage of the bar, restoraunt and lounge. The staff were pleasant, and hats off to the person in charge of decorating the hotel and sure plus in my book. ;)

1 Thank Arthur R
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

Loved my stay at the Drake. It was even nicer than the pictures and it was perfect for our weekend get away.

The staff was incredibly kind and enjoyed the roof top patio.

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

It was my first time at Drake. My friends from Toronto were surprised that an out of towner from Calgary managed to stay at one of the coolest places in the city. It was absolutely fantastic. Even managed to drink a Chet Baker while Sam Ross was sitting next to me having a steak dinner during the wee hours of a Tuesday night.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Lee, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

So, I don't really understand why people stay in hotels belonging to big faceless groups, when there are cool places like the Drake to stay in the world. This was our first visit to Toronto but I'd say that there would be no better place to stay in the city if you want to get a sense of what it's like to live there, as opposed to being a tourist. The location is great, right in the middle of many cool shops and restaurants, and within a nice walk of pretty much everywhere - the tram also stops right outside the door. I felt like we were in Europe. We spent the first day just wandering up and down Queen Street West and having a whale of a time. The staff are incredibly helpful and nice, recommending places we just HAD to go for dinner, and they were right every time. Jonathan is a paragon of modern hotel management, sorting out a mix-up over our booking with the minimum of fuss. Our Salon room was great, very quiet (third floor at the back, sleep fans) - everything was clean, comfortable and worked well. One thing I would say is that you'd better be at ease around whoever you're sleeping with, because the semi-opaque glass door on the toilet is a definite test of a relationship. I believe in retaining a little mystery, even after thirty years, so I made sure I didn't look in that direction at the crucial times.

The Drake is cool, but also feels genuinely warm - a very modern combination.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple