“Excellent Customer Service and Unique Surroundings”

Drake Hotel Toronto
Ranked #5 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Burlington, Canada
“Excellent Customer Service and Unique Surroundings”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

The customer service was excellent! Jonathon, Hotel Manager, was very friendly and made sure we were taken care of completely. As well, all of the staff were very friendly and efficient. The hotel and room decor was very unique and interesting. The food was very good quality and delicious. Overall, the attention to detail for all services was over the top. We very much appreciated the experience at the Drake. A unique boutique hotel with an artsy edge. I can't wait to come again!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My boyfriend and I purchased the NYE package with an one night sleepover at the CPad. I would like to compliment and thank Jonathan on his thoughtfulness, friendliness and professionalism. He booked the reservation for us and was very thorough and patient explaining the different NYE packages to me. Upon check in, he remembered who I was, and my boyfriend's name (also Jonathan).
The next morning, we made plans with our friends who also stayed at the hotel on New Year's Eve to have breakfast at the cafe. Jonathan offered to call our friends so they can know where we were seated. This thoughtful gesture made us feel so welcomed and made our experience at The Drake memorable!
It's a posh hotel with friendly service and little surprises. I would definitely come back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 20 December 2013

What a WONDERFUL stay I had at the Drake Hotel, while on a business trip in Toronto. This was my first business trip away from my new 4 month old baby and I was traveling alone. I was extra lonely, but the staff at the Drake made me feel right at home! They graciously accomodated a new nursing mom with a late check out and ample fridge and freezer space. Jon welcomed me upon my arrival, carrying my bags to my room. Once I left the hotel for the airport, I made a HUGE mistake and left my wallet on the desk of the hotel. I couldn't believe my bad luck. I called the hotel and Jon and Jonathan worked wonders to deliver me my wallet, along with a snack for the plane and a souvenir teddy bear to ease my anxiety of my mess up. I have never been accomodated by a hotel without wanting something in return.....I was treated like family! I am looking forward to making this an annual trip and I will stay at the Drake over and OVER again! p.s. the room decor was so quaint, nostalgic and comfortable! I felt right at home, although alone, in Canada!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Sarah D
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 24 November 2013

The Drake Hotel in Toronto is one of my favorite Urban Hotels of all time. Location in Queen Anne could not be more perfect. The eclectic nature of the hotel is not to be beat...modern but funky and chic. From the trendy rooftop restaurant with great eats (I had amazing and unique sushi bites!) to the surprise and luxury of the sex toy room service menu. And finally the genius feature of the hotel is their "Crash Pads". This concept makes traveling solo a more economical and cozy choice without giving up any of the amenities. It is the only time I felt "special" traveling solo outside of a Bed & Breakfast experience....well laid out rooms with oversized single beds amongst cool design features and art. Every hotel should have a crash pad option if you are not going to spend any time in the room but want an option other than a hostel filled with college kids!

Room Tip: Stay on a higher floor for less noise.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Apple Tree Creek, Australia
Reviewed 22 November 2013

This is a bittersweet review as I really believe that this little boutique hotel is a charming hotel that would suit young couples. As for us (as an older couple) it didn't really suit us, the is no elevator so it is all stairs. The bedroom was quite small but definitely serviceable for our needs and as we were only spending a couple of nights there quite adequate. The staff were wonderful, very friendly and helpful (in fact I can't say I have met any friendlier staff than I did here). The nights were a little noisy with a public drinking area across the road and the cafe area down stairs. We had breakfast in the cafe downstairs which was very lovely. The hotel itself is a little out of the main area of town however there is a tram that runs directly down the road to the main center of town and the cost is very reasonable. For all those loving young couples that do stay there, there is a very interesting "menu" available.

Room Tip: We had a room over a cafe and across the road from a drinking location which was a little noisy.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Vernon, Canada
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I came to Toronto to visit my girlfriend and wanted to make it a special occasion. The Drake Hotel impressed in every way. The rooms are beautifully designed and the food was great, especially the Chicken & Waffles on the brunch menu. A special mention to Gordon, our bartender at the Sky Lounge, fantastic service and excellent cocktails.

• Stayed November 2013
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed 15 November 2013

So, I will be fair here. I am normally a business hotel kind of person and my wife and I are in our late 40's. So bearing that in mind, I will try to be as objective as possible.

The Drake is, without a doubt, interesting. When we booked, we wanted to stay close to some shops we were checking out AND we want to 'shake it up': a little searching on the WEB came up with the Drake: which of course is a famous 'hipster' boutique hotel in the Fashion and Design district of Queen West.

So in point form:
1. Location: well parking is in a municipal lot which is not a huge bother as its across the street: and if you want an interesting array of places to eat...the location is great: and easy access to the Gardiner Express Way, and a nice 30 minute walk to the business district (or 10 minute street car). So its actually a good location.

2. Service: Service at arrival was great, and the evening manager addressed our every need. Service in the second floor bar/dining...not great: 20 minutes to get a beer refill after ordering it..and that was pretty much the theme of the evening. The 'beautiful' people beside ( a group of young woman) were getting their shots of whiskey every few minutes...but my wife and I could not get the attention of the woman serving..and we actually laughed at the table about how she was talking it up with the young girls but blatantly either ignored us or was simply distracted by the 'hip' crowd (and the tables are 8 inches apart..so there was not way not see our attempts to get service). I would hope she was just distracted by her peers. Nice kid, just young I suppose...Too bad she forgot that's its people like me with the money to really provide the big tips!

3. Room: well...interesting and fun: very well designed and very 'hip' for such a small room. Hard to describe. Look..its an old hotel right..so you have to take certain things at pace. Many people complain about the noise, but that was never an issue for us in Room 302. The heater fan could not be stopped so the room was very dry, and the phone didn't work..but the manger noticed that and came up and gave us his cell if we needed to call (again, great service!!). But in General ..good.

4. Food: disappointing: along with the poor service, there was a genuine attempt to have very 'hip' food for a very 'hip' crowd: WAY TOO 'wannabe': They try to delver some very interesting plates...but they didn't pull it off well. I had the braised boar which was terribly dry and my wife's salad was...dull. Our starter as a mixed board which was plain and ok..but hardly anything to rave about. Again, trying to get a drink was very slow: maybe they were just having an off night..

In general, if you want an interesting night on Queen West, the Drake will do it. It's an interesting experience and worth trying once for the experience. You have to remember that nearly everyone working there is a young wannabe 'bohemian': I think they all are trying to deliver a good experience and for the most part it works: but don't expect the 'Four Seasons'...and at $289 for a very VERY small queen room...its not exactly a cheap experiment.

Would we go back? Maybe. If we needed to be in Queen West, then the Drake is a viable option...even for old boring people like us!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business