“One of the best hotel experiences you will ever have”

Drake Hotel Toronto
Ranked #11 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I have stayed at a lot of hotels - luxury, business, generic, rustic, and then some. When I am in Toronto I forego my fixation on points (somehow I think I am chasing my tail, but that's another story) to stay at the Drake. It's not for everyone - in fact my first night there I was incensed the room was small and there was no elevator. But quickly (later that night) I got over that. As my colleague articulated so succinctly - when you stay at the Drake there is no need to go out, because Toronto comes to you. This is absolutely true. Music, food, art, culture - it's as if you have been invited to the greatest party you could hope for, and yet you can leave and retire to your room at any time. Unlike the ACE in NYC (itself a great spot), there is breathing room in Toronto, and you don't have to displace someone because you happen to be staying there and therefore have the *right* to have a seat in the overcrowded lounge. I've experienced that and it's not fun for anyone.

Let go of your expectations and let Drake seduce you with its singular focus on creating a very specific curated guest experience, like a playlist full of songs you've never heard but with each one you further open your senses and trust that you'll discover something even cooler around the next corner. Countless times I can count having a cocktail, a meal or seeing a band that stayed with me afterward.

From the deconstructed bathrooms (space constraints translate to design innovations), fantastic beds, and handmade dolls in the crash pads, to the dreamlike restaurant downstairs (sushi? sure. Poutine? yes. , to the roofdeck bar, to the nightclub in the basement. You will be amazed at what a team of dreamers can jam into a little hotel. And the staff is like an army of hip uumpa luumpas, polite, helpful, but deferential, arranging things discretely around you to insure your experience is what they want. Someone had a vision what what a boutique hotel experience should be and if you let yourself you'll get it.

Anyway, I could go on but I simply suggest you try it. Your expectations will be forever ruined afterward, but such is the way to live life - it's better to have tried something and miss it dearly than having never tried it at all.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Nick S

Reviewed 17 January 2014

Not only was my room clean, fun and design forward, but the staff was super friendly and made me feel right at home. It's clear they really enjoy their work and take pride in giving excellent service. The Drake is my new home away from home when visiting Toronto.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ianmtl
Reviewed 13 January 2014

After a while hotels get samey, and then you get to stay in a gem like The Drake. Great option for a fun weekend. Quiet a way from downtown but loads of trams and you dont really need to leave the hotel as they have 3 dining options and a live band basement. I would not recommend going here if you are on your first weekend away as the glass doors to the toilet might be a bit "too soon". Food and Drink selection was very high quality. High recommended.

Room Tip: They are small so if you have the cash go for the more expensive = larger room
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Landay2012
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I love the Drake. Seriously. I would adopt small animals with it and move to the country and start a small goat farm with it.

I go to Toronto once or twice a year, and I don't see myself staying anywhere else. I've stayed at the Drake on two separate occasions and both times have been excellent. The staff is wonderful, friendly and helpful. The rooms are very clean and the cleaning staff make up the rooms perfectly every time. Sometimes seemingly like magic. You'll be out for breakfast, come back to your room and your room looks like you just got there.

For a couple or on your own, I'm not sure where else someone would stay in Toronto if they weren't staying with family. Which, really, the staff at the Drake make you feel that way anyway. Well, you know, without the guilt of why "you haven't called lately" and "have you been eating enough."

I've read other reviews that have said the rooms can be "noisy," which, to be fair, when there's a party going on in the Hotel, then "yeah" and/or "duh". That said I've never experienced any inconvenience from the "noise" in the rooms. No more than any other hotel I've stayed in. yes, the hallways can be noisy, but I can't say I've spent a lot of time hanging out in hallways in hotels. I've never noticed any noise in my room, to be honest, and I've stayed on the side facing Queen Street.

The location is pretty much perfect. Close to the new restaurants in Parkdale, easy trek to AOG or straight down Queen for whatever. Travelling to and from is easy enough with the street car stations located right in front, and there is pretty much always a cab out front.

Even still, you might not end up venturing very far as there's always something going on in the Drake, either in the Underground or the Lounge. And the bartenders in the Sky Yard mix some just killer cocktails.

And the cookies at turn down service? C'mon! Cookies!

TL:DR; The Drake is pretty amazing. Clean, friendly and always has something happening. It's home, if your home was all kinds of awesome.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Misunderestimate
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed at The Drake because a cousin was having a birthday party there. They had the 2nd floor bar & outdoor patio rented for 3 hours before the public was allowed in. Bar staff was very responsive & servers with passed finger food were very nice. The food was delicious..not at all typical bar food. We reserved what they call a Crash Pad. But hotel was slow so they upgraded us without us asking. That room was a bit loud from the bar downstairs so we asked for a quieter room. They didn't have any larger rooms available so we opted for the Crash Pad. Small but totally adequate room..both rooms very "European" with en suite bathroom. Beds & bedding very comfortable, very clean rooms & bathroom with really nice soaps, lotions, shampoo & body wash which can be purchased as
well. Lots of snacks, drinks & fun stuff in the rooms that can be purchased as well. This is definitely a hotel that attracts a young crowd (we are mid 50's). Loud hopping bars(3) but floors with rooms are quiet & bar hoppers can't access the hallways unless they are a guest of the hotel. Even tho the staff & bar scene was much younger than us we were made to feel VERY welcome & the staff was beyond accommodating. Overall a great stay in a good location in Toronto.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank brittlady
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Awesome experience. The hotel was in a great location and the staff were helpful and friendly. We walked along queen st all evening for apps and drinks and finished with the rooftop fire at the hotel. Have been recommending it to friends and will continue to do so!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2014

The customer service was excellent! Jonathon, Hotel Manager, was very friendly and made sure we were taken care of completely. As well, all of the staff were very friendly and efficient. The hotel and room decor was very unique and interesting. The food was very good quality and delicious. Overall, the attention to detail for all services was over the top. We very much appreciated the experience at the Drake. A unique boutique hotel with an artsy edge. I can't wait to come again!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple