“Funky Little Love Shack!”

Drake Hotel Toronto
Ranked #3 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
“Funky Little Love Shack!”
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

This place has nailed the boutique hotel idea!!

Classic old building retro fitted into a artisan style rooms, dining room and lounge.

Menu was interesting and uniquely fresh as was the Sky Lounge...even in THIS winter:)

The room was clean, warm and just as unique as the lobby and hallways! Lots of funky local art...appropriate for the area.

Jon and staff are very friendly, informative and helpful; at your call for dining and entertainment suggestions. We arrived a little early, left our bags with the front desk to make our hockey game. When we returned to get our keys, bags were in the room!

What steps them up is the services:
-properly stocked mini bar(bye bye airplane shooter bottles)
-fresh contemporary furnishings
-"in room" entertainment
-romantic gift shop (with class)

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Happywandererz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Not sure why it is high rated. I did not get a comfortable sleep, I can name dozens of other hotels in the city. The service, they do not even look you in the eye. Four Seasons model, whatever job you do, you greet the guest. Whether good morning or how you do. Toronto is great for restaurants and hotels. To me it pretended to be chic, but fell well short. really nothing good to say about it. It was loud with drunk middle age people. Totally different than the Ivy, which I think the best small boutique hotel in Toronto. Sorry, thumbs down Drake.

Room Tip: There is nothing good to say, honestly
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank John S
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Stayed at The Drake for work, because the area is interesting (just out of downtown) with many great restaurants. It has a great 2nd floor bar & outdoor patio, with decent, laidback staff.
Staff was very attentive, however very busy as there was an evening function happening during check in.
The room was great – modern - with great Malin & Goetz toiletries in the bath room and a great shower.
They did make an error and missed the second night of my reservation, however they did call around for me and were able to put me up in a room at the Gladstone down the street. Luckily, I had an email confirmation of the second night reserved, as the reception person questioned this. I would have preferred they assisted moving me to the Gladstone, as I did need to manage this hotel move between my work meetings.
They also did forget to include the VIP upgrade perks for booking through TripAdvisor, and did say they were going to follow up, but did not.
A great, however too short stay, due to the move, but would recommend this for future stays or the Gladstone because of the great location.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mark G
Toronto
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I stayed again on Monday night in the same room and it was noisy (in the bathroom you could hear the band crystal clear), but at least I could hear actual distinct songs instead of just horrible noise and bass with the entire room shaking like I did until 2:30am on Saturday night. I read a magazine and waited it out until about 1am when it went quiet. Was it more restful than the Satruday night? No, because the manager JONATHAN called our room early the next morning frantic about my original Tripadvisor review (see below), waking us up!! He thought it was scathing (it was not scathing about the hotel, just him and his attitude) and wanted me to take it down. I woke up to my hubby putting a laptop in front of me, asking me to remove it. I only did so to avoid a fight because he didn't know about my previous unpleasant interaction with Jonathan. When I took it down, Tripadvisor makes you choose a reason from a drop-down menu, and if I was being completely honest, I would have chosen "being harrassed by the owner/manager of this establishment", but I did not. Five minutes later, Jonathan, who was not on-site that day, called my hubby's CELL PHONE to make sure that I was taking it down. Um, inappropriate much? Dude needs some boundaries and to think about whether his actions are improving a guest's experience or making a guest feel BETTER about staying here...or whether his actions are self-serving and only making himself feel better. To call us early in the morning and wake us after having yet another horrible night's sleep there? To come between a COUPLE and cause an argument first thing in the morning over something so stupid and petty?? Come on. The proper reaction to my original review below would have been an APOLOGY and maybe buy me a latte in the cafe to help me get through my drowsy day!

If you have problems at the Drake, I suggest you speak with the guests services manager, Jon, instead of Jonathan because he just doesn't get it and can't get past his own agenda and defenses. Being defensive doesn't make a guest feel better about their bad experience. Seriously, get a hold of yourself, Jonathan!

Original review dated March 3, 3 stars (average): The place is just okay. I'm a former long-time Torontonian, so I "get" The Drake. It was never my scene, but I have been privvy to the VIP bottle service on a Saturday night just so we could have somewhere to sit in their nightclub for someone's birthday. The Drake was somewhere I would often go for brunch or sometimes the Underground to see a band. Room 201 is nice enough, but it feels more like a luxury hostel above a bar instead of a boutique hotel. No bathtub, just shower with some nice bath products.

Anyway, I understand why someone would be tempted to book a room here because Toronto's idea of downtown west accommodation does not extend beyond Yorkville really. This area was our stomping ground when we moved away just two years ago and it's nice to stay in walking distance to our favourite spots. BUT- I do not understand why someone would willingly pay $329 to NOT sleep on a Saturday night. It's robbery. I'm tired and pregnant and was given ear plugs by the front desk reception. Ear plugs aren't going to stop your whole room or bed from vibrating from 11pm to 2:30am. I mentioned this to the server in the cafe the next morning when I was expressing disappointment that I had to wait 40 minutes before brunch was available (I only agreed to stay here because I was looking forward to chicken & waffles!), and she turned it into a huge issue, calling over the hotel manager to interrogate me at my table about why my travel agent hadn't conveyed to me the noise reality on a Saturday night. Look, the booking was for my husband's work, I wasn't the main point of contact, and I don't care what you told a travel agent - it's disgusting to charge that much for that room with that level of noise/vibration reality! I did not ask to speak to Jonathan and I didn't feel much like having an argument about the whole issue. I was on no sleep two nights in a row and wished I had just stayed home with a toddler that woke me up crying every two hours than stay at The Drake. He just kept going on about how I should have known and I should have been fully aware of the noise, and how I would never find another equivalent hotel in Toronto during PDAC for that price. Dude, whatever - if you can sleep at night (assuming you're getting sleep because you do not live at The Drake) charging that much for that room, knowing the guests aren't going to sleep, then good for you. I don't care. At Long Beach Lodge in Tofino, BC (basically the coolest, best place to stay in Tofino), there was 1 room left on a Friday night, situated above their bar/restaurant. They offered it during high season on a weekend for $199. It's a nice room and equal to all their other beachfront room, except for the NOISE factor, so they offer it at a major discount to the other rooms. Not so at The Drake. Cuz you should have known.

Room Tip: Stay away from Room 201 no matter what day of the week.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
10 Thank MissusScamper
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I just stayed for 2 nights at the Drake and from the moment I walked in the door to be greeted by Jonathon I loved the place. The rooms are awesome, very quirky with great decorating. Chilling in the room were two splits of sparkling wine and a bag of yummy popcorn. The goodies continued with evening turndown that brought a plate of delicious cookies. I cannot say enough about the incredible staff, Jonathon in particular, who made us feel so welcome and like we were returning home. Jonathon went above and beyond in helping us with last minute arrangements which meant we had time to enjoy the city. We loved the location on Queen Street. Great little shops to explore and very close to Ossington. Loved taking the streetcar for more distant expeditions. This hotel is wonderful. It truly is an incredible experience.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Having stayed here several times before (and loving it), one always worries that standards may slip or the expectations that have built up may start to become greater than the actual.

Well, after 10 years of coming here, I think the expectation bar keeps rising. Front desk rushing to great you in from the cold (and carry your bags up without you even noticing), everyone knowing your name and saying hello, anything you desire always being provided.

The Cafe is a great spot to spend a few hours doing work and chilling; brunch continues to be the hot-spot in the city. Staff continue to drive this place: in particular Jonathan at the front desk is the quintessential maitre d'hotel.

Reluctantly I recommend at the risk of it being even harder to get a space whenever I'm in town next.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank theDiesta
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Philip at the front desk was amazing. I truly loved how everyone who worked there remembered me as I came in and out and was greeted with a "welcome home" that truly made me appreciate the boutique hotel experience. I wanted a stay that was convenience and beautiful and I got just that. Thanks so much to your hardworking team.

Room Tip: Even the small rooms are big enough.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo