“Hipster's Paradise”

Drake Hotel Toronto
Ranked #7 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Stayed here on business for two days and had a great time. I opted for this over more standard alternatives like Royal York, Sheraton, etc. with no regrets. It's got a pretty lively restaurant and cafe, very original and spacious rooms, and a cool/hipster vibe. They also treat non-hipsters well and I must say the place was full of attractive people! Room was a little pricey at $279 but I stayed here more for the experience than anything, and for that, it's worth it.
My first night, we went up to the rooftop patio and ate lobster nachos, a root veg/greens salad, gourmet mac n' cheese, and a rum baba desert; three beers and a cocktail. Bill came to $100+tip and we were contently full of delicious stuff. Not a bargain, but again fun times!
The one cautionary note is that this place seemed to take forever to get to via streetcar from Yonge St./downtown hub. It's a great walk (lots of awesome boutiques/restos; the famous Bellwoods-Trinity Park) but I had to do the commute and found it a bit slow to get around.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank liam0b
There are newer reviews for Drake Hotel Toronto

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Loved this hotel. Really comfortable rooms, great location, friendly and helpful staff, wide range of food options - all yum and everywhere was spotlessly clean. Very hip place and thought I might feel a bit out of pace but the staff are so lovely that you can't but help feel at home. Alan, John, Jonathan and a young man from the Sky bar (sorry don't have his name) were particularity nice.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Helen M
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

I've stayed here twice over 3 years - the second time I got a welcome back branded bag of popcorn. A classy and cool touch from one of my favourite hotels. The staff are great, the bar and rooftop are great and so is the food. The personality of the place and the people in it put it into a 5 star rating for me. Love it and will be back for more popcorn and the comfy bed!

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank davefromebow
Reviewed 18 May 2014

In town for business, this hotel was recommended by a client with offices nearby. Reading reviews here on TripAdvisor, I was excited to stay but concerned that the hotel might be more style than substance.

I loved my stay and would have liked to stay longer because I felt like there was more to explore at the hotel. They obviously care about design, and it makes the rooms and the whole hotel interesting. I felt more creative and artistic just staying here. I stayed in a Crash Pad room. They are small, but so well designed that they feel like the perfect size. The attention to design is more than making the rooms cool, but also about using the space well. Loved the walk in shower (no tub) and the shampoo/soap/lotions. Loved the desk space and free wi-fi. LOVED the bed...so comfortable.

There are multiple eating and entertainment options in the hotel. Enjoyed an amazing muffin in the cafe for breakfast.

This place feels like a cultural center/icon more than just a hotel. Probably not ideal for everyone. I'm not sure a quiet room is a guarantee. My friend staying in another room on the street side had noise from people hanging out on the street (perhaps taking a smoke break from the club below), but he still loved his room. I'd read that some rooms could be quite noisy from the club below, so I asked for a room on the top floor away from the street, which I got. That room happened to be next to the air conditioner fans on the roof which hummed loud enough to make my room vibrate, and yet, I loved the room. Got used to the hum and had some great sleeps. (My biggest critique of the room is that the window shade lets in a good amount of light once the sun comes up...not great if you like a dark room.)

I'd stay at this hotel again in a heartbeat. Actually, I'd schedule a trip to Toronto again just to stay here.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Devon T
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

I have just returned from Toronto & my 4 night stay at The beautifully quirky and creative Drake Hotel! We were greeted with a smile and a stress free check-in by the charming Alan. The rooms - what can I say? They are not enormous but they are the best designed hotel rooms I've seen - everything you need for your stay and everything where it should be! I won't share all the wonderful room secrets, you will just have to go check it out for yourself!!! The staff here are exceptional and great fun! John at the front desk is professional and assisted us with restaurant bookings and all the info we needed.! Then there's Jonathan, who has left a lasting impression as one of the best guest services professionals I've come across in quite some time!

Thank you all for everything! Next time I'm in Canada I will be back!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jcee2013
Reviewed 2 May 2014

A totally hipster hotel, exudes innovative cool from every well-designed crevice. Super friendly and helpful staff. Amazing design. Great bath products in large bottles (i.e. no wasted half used mini bottles between clients). Comfortable beds and fantastic aesthetic in absolutely every space. Super breakfast in cafe, creative menu and great scones!

I stayed alone in the smallest room, the Crash Pad, but there's plenty of space for two. I will definitely stay here again. Actually, I may never leave...(writing this review in my room, on third day of my stay) :)

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank CarmenGervais
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Love the drake keep coming back for more the food is great love the atmosphere also love the fact that I can get a room on the spot which are awesome and it's close to everything