“loud, louder”

Ranked #5 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Zurich, Switzerland
“loud, louder”
Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

we stayed 2 nights at the drake in toronto. our room was quite small but more than ok. clean and nice ambiente. the first night was ok for sleeping, the second absolutely terrible. our room was located next to the upper patio- the party on a Thursday lasted until 0200 am. not only was the music a problem, but the drunken guests. somehow they had a key to the hotel- locations or some of them really stayed at the drake... however, during 3 hours they kept coming and going, talking and shouting very loudly. when asked to stop, they just ignored me. at 2am we had enough and phoned the concierge- he came and after 1 hour the guests went to sleep. I realize that this is not only the problem of the hotel, but it is also his 'cause sincerely you just can't have a hotel (were people probably want to sleep), 2 bars and party going on and expect this will go on well. when we checked out the lady at the frontdesk 'apologized' once. for 500 dollars I expected a bit more.
if you are cool and hipster enough to care about those things and you don't need that much sleep, you'll like this place.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank orianajade_08

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2014

I LOVE THE DRAKE! Super friendly staff, great crash pads and amazing social scene. Can't recommend enough! The location is great for downtown. Its not the quietest hotel but not noisy enough to disturb your sleep. I stayed for 15 nights total and it felt like a real home from home. The staff here really make the place special!

I would say this is a great place for guests that are young professionals travelling for business as I was, wifi always works, there is desk space in the room to work from.

This was my second stay at The Drake, I travel to Toronto fairly regularly and I won't stay anywhere else now!

Room Tip: Crash pads are awesome for young professionals on business.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I love staying in a hotel when visiting my home town. I keep on returning to Drake every time because it feels like I'm on vacation. Just love the vibe, comfort, great service and perfect location. The rooms aren't the biggest but the design is just very cool. I always get the perfect nights of sleep after late evenings in my favorite city.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I LOVE this hotel. I will definitely come back here any time I am in Toronto because of its vibrant energy, amazing food in all the bars/cafe, and artistic feel. The rooms are great. Small but perfectly formed because of their thoughtful design. I couldn't hear any of the other guests in their rooms or people in the upstairs bar. Air con works a dream too. Free popcorn and champagne on arrival (although the champers was a bit bleurgh). You cannot deny that this is a place for trendy hipsters but it's a lot of fun. Based down the Roncy end of Queen Street West so lots of good bars, restaurants, galleries and shops within walking distance. Try The Good Son and Barque for good meals. Trinity Bellwoods Park is also lush.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We leave tomorrow by which we will have stayed for six nights and absolutely love this place. My husband and I are in our fifties but we were bringing his 15-year-old son to Toronto (all of us for the first time) and I wanted something a little different to the usual corporate hotels we inhabit. As usual Trip Advisor was invaluable in helping me to choose The Drake Hotel.

It's fair to say that The Drake is in an area on the 'Up' rather than being in an established part of Toronto but it is friendly shabby rather than threatening shabby. And that means you really do get fantastic value as you are obviously not paying for high overheads. Not once did we feel uncomfortable in our urban surroundings. We walked on several occasions down Queen Street West (an incredibly long street) towards the centre of town and encountered no problems but lots of interesting shops and people. - There's also an abundance of cabs (cheap into the centre and to the Harbour Front) and there's a tram line outside the hotel.

We had a Salon Room, the 15-year-old had a Crash Pad across the corridor. In the Salon Room, once we got over the surprise of having a shower and loo at the end of the room with only a glass panel across (I think you do need to be comfortable with your room mate), and a rack with coat hangers instead of a wardrobe, we found it a really effective use of space and very well equipped with thoughtful home comforts/drinks/snacks and lovely toiletries. Needless to say the 15-year-old with his I-POD docking station in his crash pad loved it beyond words. It truly is a place where old(er) and young can mix with harmony.

For a small Boutique Hotel, it offers so many ways and places to eat and drink - an outside rooftop terrace, a Lounge strewn with lovely books (old editions that you can take down from the shelf and actually read whilst having a drink and waiting for others to arrive), and a lovely Café with a terrace where you can have breakfast. The breakfasts are superb - ranging from the Drake Breakfast - sausage, egg bacon etc to a breakfast that a carnivore like myself would never usually contemplate - Eggs, Avocado, Tomato, Salad and Rye Bread - an ALT rather than a BLT. Sounds a strange concoction but, having tried it the first day, I had it every day thereafter. There was a smashing waiter called Taylor that remembered all our orders and preferences - from choice of morning beverage to how we liked our eggs. In The Drake, you can snack throughout the day/night or have the full works. We ate on the terrace or in the Lounge on four evenings which says a lot about the quality of the food and the range offered - typically pork ribs and high-end burger for the teenager, steak frites for the husband and sushi for me. (Puddings could do with a bit more thought - not great variety). The food/ ingredients represented excellent quality and I am amazed to read that people think this place is pricey. I thought it fantastic value - try the Starving Artist red wine - the cheapest on the menu and very drinkable indeed.

Staff almost without exception are efficient, charismatic and charming. Very young, very competent and obviously proud to be working in this quirky, confident place with its commitment to supporting local artists - both of the live music and visual sort. Other reviewers have complained about aloofness. Yes, the occasional staff member was a little aloof and grand but perhaps that indicated that they lacked the confidence of the ones that were supremely friendly and confident. But nothing enough to spoil the atmosphere of a hotel and its various eateries that knew what it was about and did it very well. Would fully recommend.

Room Tip: We had 308 - a salon room that was far away from any live music
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank SueQLondon
Hanover, New Hampshire
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Upon arrival to the confusing and busy lobby, there were two desks. The closest was manned by two girls who simply stared at us. The second, directly behind theirs, turned out to be the hotel registration desk. The clerk was more than happy to check us in once he closed his personal email. Apart from giving us our room key and taking my credit card, he didn’t say much. (failed to mention that parking is across the street in a pay-per-hour lot, or how to get to the room itself.)

Right away, we didn’t feel welcome in the hotel: the best way to describe it would be that we were imposing on the sanctity of self-created importance and hip-ness that floats the Drake Hotel the place to be in the rapidly-gentrifying West Queen district. The hotel staff is young, beautiful, and entirely unhelpful. This would be completely fine, save for the fact that we were treated in a condescending manner that at some times, felt like it stemmed from some kind of unspoken judgement. This kind of treatment of a guest at any establishment is obviously 100% unwarranted.

In Short: The Drake chooses to focus its commerce and attentions to the more social aspects of its business: its lounge, underground, bar and restaraunt: for here is where the money is made and the “see and be seen” culture it perpetuates makes the Hotel nights loud, the rooms claustrophobic, and the service embarrassingly bumbling.

The attractiveness of the hotel’s strong and bold design choices and the excellent waiters and bartenders in the Cafe and Sky Lounge are some of the strongest assets. Perhaps it would be a good idea to hire them to work in the hotel. (While you’re at it, give them all raises.)

PS----There is a significant typo in the Information Guides provided in the room. (Hint: it’s on the last page. You can’t miss it. It’s 29 words long.)

Extra-Short Summary: The Drake throws a lot of things at guests with little thought put into execution or one-on-one hospitality.

x (oh!)-----
Lafetite

Traveling tip: If you look young (and therefore unimportant as a guest,) don’t bother with the Drake. They won’t give you the time of day.

Room Tip: The cool things: The rooms have DVD players, so bring your movies. There’s also a bag of free popco...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
11 Thank lafetite
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

First time I have ever reviewed mid stay!

This place is just perfect! I mean faultless...they know what customers want and give it in bucket loads.

From the moment you check in the attentive but not overbearing staff can't do enough. The guy checking me in made sure I had all the local knowledge, gave maps and was proactive.

I had a crash pad which on entering had a hint of lavender in the room, very relaxing.

The room was small but like a mini car had all the features you need. It's designed perfectly, I mean people have thought about the customers experience

Breakfast in the cafe down stairs is a relaxed affair, with great food.

The hotel attracts a great bunch of people and the bars are worth checking out.

I was worried I would be too old, and not fit in. Far from it, this hotel has created a unique atmosphere with staff who enjoy their work and it shows.

Stayed July 2014