“From Service to Food to Decor, The Drake Hotel is Unmatched and Unequaled”

Drake Hotel Toronto
Ranked #11 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 24 June 2009

The best way to begin this review is to tell the story of how my fiancé and I fell in love with the Drake Hotel, but for those of you who are pressed for time I will summarize our impressions first.

The Drake is an intimate, classy, elegant and gorgeous place. The rooms are cozy, impeccably clean, comfortable, and absolutely beautiful. The entire atmosphere, from the restaurant to the rooms, is the sought-after mixture of sophistication and relaxation that so many establishments strive for but few ever attain. The staff is friendly and heartwarmingly helpful, so much so that if you can treat them like people instead of employees you will find that they become friends by the end of your stay. We’ve stayed in a great many of the best hotels across the Caribbean, the United States, Canada, and Europe, and cannot recommend any of them more highly than the Drake Hotel.

Now for the long version of our experience. I was planning my proposal evening, and since we lived a fair distance away from Toronto, I needed a place for me and my newly-engaged girlfriend to stay in. Cost was no object; I wanted the evening to be magical and perfect. I visited every hotel worthy of mention in Toronto, touring their different suites and rooms, inspecting them carefully, but after visiting the Drake none of them remained an option. As a sort of measure of how much the Drake appealed to me: I turned down top-floor suites with sweeping views of downtown Toronto, luxurious multi-room affairs with every amenity imaginable. You see, every hotel I have ever visited in has a faint aroma of bureaucratic coldness that lingers in the air, no matter how hard they try to cover it up. Not so at the Drake. For the first time, I felt at home in a hotel. I felt like I could relax, chat with the staff, or lounge in the lobby. The actual environment, from the lobby on up to the rooms, is disarming, and it begins to work its magic as soon as you pass through the large glass doors of the hotel. After being pleasantly surprised at how helpful the manager was, and at how far they were willing to go to accommodate my many preparatory requests, I booked one of their Salon rooms. As one caveat, the design of the rooms is definitely most suitable for couples. There is little in the way of private space, and the clear shower walls mean that only the romantically involved or the supremely comfortable will be able to room together.

As for our actual stay, it could not have gone better. The staff went above and beyond the call of duty to make us feel welcome, to ensure that everything went perfectly, and even that we felt loved. When our arranged taxi was late, the manager went out into the winter street in a tee-shirt to rustle up another. After we departed, he called the restaurant and arranged to have our reservation held for us. The room was beautifully decorated and gloriously snug. The bed was very comfortable, and the complimentary designer toiletries and shampoos were delightful (in particular, the mint shampoo is an experience in itself). The room also includes an Ipod dock with speakers and a CD player. The room is extremely well-designed, and despite the fact that they look small in pictures can contain more than four large suitcases without feeling at all cramped. The Drake also offers an astounding number of extras for a special occasion, which I took advantage of. Lilies awaited us in the room when we first arrived and when we returned from dinner rose petals were scattered about the room and in the shape of a heart on the bed. Plates of delicious chocolates and other sweets were also waiting. The rooms are lit with a number of halogen lights, which can be individually adjusted for lighting ranging from bright and cheerful to low and romantic. The room itself was spotlessly clean, and featured a number of mirrors (a fact which my girlfriend -> fiancé appreciated enormously).

The morning after, we descended the central staircase to smiles and applause from the staff and were then treated to complimentary mimosas. We spent much of the morning in the restaurant, where we enjoyed a wonderful breakfast, fresh oysters, and the wide view of Queen Street. The windows in the restaurant face the morning sun, and the red velvet divan was sinfully comfortable. As a side note, the food was excellent. The oysters were as fresh as I have ever tasted (I am something of an addict, if not an aficionado, for seafood of all kinds), the eggs and bacon were delicious, and the Drake’s Mojitos are superb.

All in all, I cannot overstress how wonderful the Drake is. It is truly a unique and unrivaled gem, and there is literally nothing besides its early check-out times (11 or 12 in the morning) that I can complain about. It is a fantastic, amazing place that stands head and shoulders above its competitors on an international level. It is not for nothing that it is listed by many reputable travel magazines as one of the best hotels in the world. I can vouch for the conclusion that the Drake Hotel is one of the finest romantic hotels in the world.

2  Thank 111sushiluver111

Reviewed 27 May 2009

What can I say...the Drake is by far the best place I have ever stayed. From the minute I made the reservation, I knew this was a great place. Zoe was so friendly and helpful, Stephanie at the desk knew my name when I walked in the door, Jonathan...love him! We stayed in the "music room", and it was totally awsome! The bed was great *wink*, the open glass shower...*hot*...they had everything that you could possibly need in the room. The staff did everything for us including getting tix to Second City! There are plenty of things to do within walking distance of the hotel, and if you need to go a little further, you can catch a street car right out front. Next time I am in Toronto, the Drake is where I'll be! The staff is genuine and they really do care that you are enjoying yourself and will do whatever they need to do to make sure your stay is the best possible. Drake staff....love you!!!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2009

The entire staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The food incredible. The place was always happening from breakfast to last call. Great people watching.
Our room (A Den) was pretty quiet when we turned in for the night even though the party at the 4 bars in the hotel was still going. The room was unique, small in size but functional and comfortable. There was a clear glass shower and no wall between the bedroom and the bathroom. Interesting.
The night life was as good as it gets. Four bars: A lounge with DJ and or live music, A ground level patio, A roof top patio with music and a basement night club with DJ and or live music. There were line ups on Friday and Saturday to get in but hotel guests got in right away.
It is my favourite hotel in Toronto, ON
Thanks Drake

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2009

I think this is the best hotel in TO. Small, unique, loved the details, and just an almost perfect package.... But!!! If you think you are going to be able to sleep at any point if there is a band downstairs forget it. Just a tip for those who aren't a partying crowd. Not a wink was possible. Bring ear plugs. Perfect for young guests. I think I am just over the past 2 in the morning crowd.

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled as a couple
Jonathan_LeClaire, Front Desk Manager at Drake Hotel Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2009

I’d like to thank you for the compliments, and apologize for the difficulties you experienced sleeping. I appreciate the need for the rest, especially when traveling from overseas!

Drake loves all our guests from all walks of life, and we adore the fact that different guests are visiting us for different reasons.

Drake’s music and cultural programming is what sets us apart from so many others, but at times we appreciate the vibe of the building may not be what you had been looking for. We offer complimentary earplugs to any guests who want them, and are happy to – whenever possible – book you a quieter room. That way, when you visit us, you’ll have the perfect package of a fun place to play, and a quiet place to stay!

X(OH!)

Reviewed 2 May 2009

I genuinely think this hotel has the complete package. I spent 5 days there and was sad to say goodbye. The rooms were impeccable, the staff were adorable and it's the place to be if you're up for having fun on a daily basis. The cafe, restaurant, and sky deck are a perfect match for the hotel and I was always torn in which place to hang out. nothing was ever a problem and I will be happy to call this place my mobile home when in Toronto next time

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 April 2009

The Drake is a great little hotel with a LOT of people coming in and out of it. There's a bar, restaurant or nightclub on every floor, it seems yet amazingly, the rooms are really quiet. Our room was VERY small, but really stylish. It was essentially comfy, but there's only really the bed. FYI: we had a shower that had no privacy at all. Maybe no problem for couples, but if you're with someone who you don't want to essentially be naked around, ask what the other rooms are like when you book. We were in the smallest of the rooms (the Crashpad). It's pretty pricey, but hipness costs.

The thing about the Drake is that everyone who works there is beautiful and also (coming from big cities in the US, especially) ridiculously nice. The skybar was fun, the nightclub was packed and playing Prince. (We didn't do the other bar.)

NB: I only gave service three stars b/c although they were nice, you have to call downstairs to get almost anything. That's fine, but when we were there they seemed to only have one person--the desk person--doing everything. And that person is busy, so you may have to wait a *really* long time for anything you ask for.
We were there for romance, and it was our kind of romantic (so I'm clicking "Romance" on the trip description). Others may want more lushness for their romance. However, we loved it, though and will be back.
P.S. Check out the Bata shoe museum in Toronto. We went not expecting much--we were nearby and needed to kill an hour and a half--and were surprisingly engaged by it.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2009

From the first check in, to the room, to the restaurant, incredible service, great venue, great people, great music, great food. The room was on the small side (crash pad), but it was perfect for me and I had no problem with it - maybe a small stool would have been good, but seriously, I felt so at home and comfortable both there and in the bar, that it made this the first time I've ever liked toronto. Avoid the stale, bland hotels like the hilton and the westin - and go for the drake. Even la germaine, which was probably nicer in decor, couldn't come close to the comfort and friendliness and service and just feel of "this place is amazing" that the drake had. Thanks to everyone there, and I will be back next week (the 29th and 30th) to enjoy more of your excellent hospitality.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business