“A Funky, Trendy Alternative Oasis.”

Drake Hotel Toronto
Ranked #8 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 30 May 2007

I've just got back from staying at the Drake Hotel, Toronto.
This place is so cool with lots of nice touches, (especially the 'Sock Dolls' in each room). Super Trendy roof terrace bar called the 'Sky Yard', and a really nice Cafe on the corner of the hotel. Great location for lots of bars and restaurants. this hotel will appeal to those who are looking for something different than the normal stereotypical chain hotel. We stayed in a 'Crash Pad' room which was so well laid out, you soon forgot that the room was small.
Staff were excellent and will deffinatley return to the 'Drake'.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank Bingmeisters

Reviewed 14 May 2007

We recently flew to Canada from London, UK to produce an event at the Drake Hotel. As a first "snap shot" of Toronto is was a great starting point. The area is superb, probably the coolest part of Toronto - though i suppose we all have different cool-ometers! bars, restaurants, Trinity Bellwoods park, lots of shopping - it's all there. China town is a 20 minute walk as is Kensington if you are into a taste of Mexico and loads of second hand clothing stores. The experience at the drake could not have been topped. We stayed five nights and were gutted to leave. I think the hotel concept rocks - GREAT decor, amazing staff, cafe, roof top bar, lounge, bar, restaurant, club - all under one roof - all very arty and cultured in my opinion, complete with an artist in residence. Their finger is on the pulse and lots are seeming to follow. We were there on business producing an event called Shoot Toronto.. We ate breakfast at the hotel cafe every morning, used the free WIFI access to death - generally spent a lot of time in the cafe outside on the veranda - there was a heat wave that weekend...
This hotel is for the hip and not the hip replacements. I can't wait to go back. See my blog for more - htttp://www.shootexperience.com/blog

Stayed: May 2007
3  Thank ShootExperience
Reviewed 23 March 2007

I stayed at the Drake hotel on March 1st, 2007. I just wanted to say that your hotel was fabulous. I will always remeber how wonderful it was because my now fiance asked me to Marry him there! I found the service just amazing. I used to work in the hospitality industry and I really value good service. All of your staff was super friendly and definetly exceeded our expectations. Thank you so much for making one of the most important days in my life even more wonderful!

Stayed: March 2007
2  Thank DesignDiva24
Reviewed 7 October 2006

Unfortunately I did not take the advise of a previous reviewer and I ended up in Room 203. What he didn't mention is the beer deliveries that commence each morning. Each keg as it is delivered at about 8 am is slammed onto the sideway. The finale is the noise as the empty beer bottles are sent dwon a conveyer to be loaded onto the truck. All this at about 8am.

The design of the room was brilliant and unique. The sheets nice, mattress could have been better.

The service was spotty. Some were pleasant and helpful at the front desk, some had an attitude - I think it is a age issue - all of them pretty young.

There is no help in to the front door even if you are struggling with two back and opening the door. I think they must be amused to watch. No bell man. Though they did find me help to get my bags up the stairs. Though I was on my own on the way out. No elevator.

I thought the location to be a bit out of the way in terms of downtown. There is a street car stop that makes it easier but if you just like to walk like I do - it is a hike.

The cafe was great - I enjoyed the yougart, fruit and granola dish. Lots of locals like it as there hangout. I wasn't too disturb by the evening activities but i see how some unexpecting guests would be. There are three bars and they are very well known. Noise wasn't too bad the days I was there.

Definite a place to stay at least once but for the price they charge I expect better service and attention and afternoon beer deliveries.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled solo
6  Thank Chiorazzi
X_OH_DRAKE, Hotel Manager at Drake Hotel Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2008

Shortly after this traveler review was posted, our beer and kitchen deliveries schedule was revised. We are pleased to say that we have not had a single noise complaint from room 203 since, and our hotel guests have enjoyed restful sleep-ins (followed by luxurious breakfasts in bed from our new room service menu offerings!).

X[OH!] DRAKE