“Not Again”

Ranked #109 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Auburn, New York
“Not Again”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

They did it again. Each of the last 4 years we have come here thinking that the administrative handling of things would have improved as the quality of the property has. No such luck. Right from the start there were problems: the actual amount of the charges, the parking reservation, and the actual room that was assigned. The major problem was the room. We were assigned a room with 2 Queen beds, a small dresser, a table/desk, a desk chair, a night stand and a mini-fridge. We had reserved a Deluxe Suite: King bed, couch, chair, electric fireplace, spa/tub, breakfast table and chairs. We paid the amount for the Deluxe Suite before we saw the room we were assigned. After some discussion we were told that the hotel had messed up the reservation (made in October online) and were refunded the difference between the Deluxe Suite and a regular room. After a struggle we were given a patio chair which we were able to use with a pillow for my back. In addition the heat in the room never went about 60 degrees F; the staff tried to fix that and ended up bringing us a space heater...by morning the temp in the room was sufficient. We heard the usual "I'm sorry.", offers of comps next year, etc., but with no guarantee that things will change, we probably will never stay here again. From my perspective the saving grace was that I had printed off the reservation confirmations from both Booking.com and the Hotel Isabella so that I had evidence for my position. The explanation that I heard for all of this was that "we've had some changes at the front desk." In my humble opinion "competence" needs to be a major criterion for hiring for even more changes at the front desk. "Honesty" is also a major consideration. Unfortunately I won't be around to see if that happens.

Room Tip: Make sure you get what you reserved. Don't accept a lesser version without price considerations...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richard M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Stayed here for one night. Rooms are very, very small and spartan. Bed, one small chair, tiny bathroom with a standup shower. The ben linens has some stains on them, probably time to get rid of those. The temperature was very slow to adjust ... freezing cold, turned it up and it was very slow to move, and then it was hard to get it to stop getting hotter.

But it's just a place to sleep, so how much can I expect from a place like this?

The answer is: very little. The topper was that they didn't give me the wakeup call as I had ordered, so I was late for meeting someone for breakfast. When I told them this, the guy at the front desk couldn't have cared less. When I then asked him to check my bag for the day, he didn't have a clue about what to do. Basic stuff, but just didn't know. When I came back at the end of the day, it was just sitting behind the front desk, not locked up or anything.

In terms of location, it's a 20-25 minute walk to Yonge Street. The subway is less than a block away, and it's super easy to use that to get around. There isn't anything else around the neighbourhood. A couple of very small restaurants in the immediate block, that's it. But if you walk a couple blocks east, lots of places on Parliament Street. It's not an unsafe neighbourhood, just nothing going on.

It's a pretty shabby hotel, but the customer service tips it into one of my worst stays ever. Truly a place to avoid,

Room Tip: want a nice room? Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Vitamin B
Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We were booked in for one night and the hotel itself is quaint and I really liked it, however when we checked into our room at 3:00pm it was 13 degrees.....we adjusted the heat and one hour later we were at a whooping 14 degrees. Trying to get dressed for a night out was awful. We were turning blue we were so cold. We left the room about 5pm and came back at 3:00am and the temperature was up to 14.5 degrees. I immediately went to the front desk and they supplied me with a mini-heater. The staff was nice, however when I am paying $160.00 a night for a room at least the heat could be working and as far as I am concerned my night should have been discounted. Thank goodness it was only -10 out.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank KJG1980
Bracebridge, Canada
Reviewed 22 November 2013

After reading reviews of this hotel on serval sites I was a little worried that I paid money for something I was going to be disappointed with and that a respectable company like Hotwire would associate themselves with a place that had bad reviews. After getting there, the parking was not well marked, but was explained perfectly when I went to the desk to fine out it was a gated lot across the street. The girl that checked us was awesome, kept a smile on the entire time and was very knowledgeable about everything we ask. The elevator and rooms are quite small but fine for 2 people. The room was amazing clean except for the bedspread which was covered in some dirt, but was fixed immediately when the front desk was informed. The muffins at breakfast were quite hard and would've been nice to see a slightly larger array for a continental breakfast. Overall I was quite surprised, in a good way, with this hotel and I will book here again.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Krajewski710
London
Reviewed 17 November 2013

this is a cracking little place in downtown toronto. for 99 dollars a night i got a very comfortable and quiet room, not very big but very nice. the staff were really helpful and they comped me a days parking of $15. It's not the Ritz but for the price I thought it was excellent. There was plenty to eat at the buffet in the morning and the wifi was free and good.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Johannesburg
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I didn't expect any great shakes but was disappointed nevertheless. The night I arrived to check in there was no one behind the front desk, or anywhere in the lobby at all. I eventually waited ten minutes to be helped and checked into my room. The whole place - rooms, hall, hallway - could have used a good, long vacuum cleaning. The cleanliness of my room - every day during my stay - was poor. A burnt-out light bulb in my bathroom took three reports at the front desk to be addressed - only to result in my being switched to another room rather than deal with the light. Continental breakfast cereals were fine, but the muffins were usually stale.

Location was helpful for my appointments, the subway and places to eat. Neighborhood offered options for distractions or fun. But, overall, the positives for me didn't outweigh the disappointments. I would not choose to stay at Isabella again, unless for half of what I paid each night.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business