“Discomfort”

Ranked #108 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Niagara Falls, Canada
“Discomfort”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Yes, that's the room, the whole room except for the bathroom, a chair, a small bar fridge and a
flat-screen television affixed to the unseen wall on the right. There is a tiny bathroom to the
left of the bed that opens with a sliding door. That's the only possibility. A standard door could not open. There is no furniture (except the chair) and no place to put things except a small narrow window ledge. There were dirty dishes left over from the previous occupant on the bar fridge. The air conditioning did not work. Two bathrooms off the lobby were out of service for the two days we stayed at the hotel. The lobby and outside sitting area looks nice, even inviting, but don't be fooled. This is the first time I can remember having to apologize to my partner for having made a bad mistake on a hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Edgar007

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Riyadh
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Ok to start off, I was TERRIFIED by all the reviews I read. We booked this hotel on hotwire and were not told which hotel until after we paid. When I read the reviews I didn't hear ANYTHING good.

When we got here I was really surprised. It was clean and organized. The staff was friendly. The hotel is in a fairly decent neighbourhood. 10 minute walk to Yonge street. For the price we paid it was definitely a good stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Amac95
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

My son and I took a taxi from train station to the hotel. Soon as we pulled up we were greeted by a Hooker! There was also dog poop outside the main front door. Cameras in the street and bars in the doors and windows of the stores near by. Didnt feel safe in neighborhood so took taxis everywhere.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank RhinoBeatrice
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Pretty $#!++¥...

I'm definitely used to 'other' hotels. I'll just bullet point the issues that occurred:

* No air in my room yet somehow there was air conditioning in the hallway...

* Restrooms on first floor were out of service the entire time I was there (more than a few days)

* No parking when I requested it a day ahead of time

* Saw a squirrel eat off of an empty plate on the patio. Can we say rabies plates?

* Hair continuously in bathroom after housekeeper cleaned

* Hair & stains on towels

* Bedding with ink stain

* Bugs on wall near non-working air conditioning control

* Nasty, crusty stains on chair in room

* Bed sheets were low-grade & itchy

* Bedding wasn't changed for 2 days, even after requesting numerous time for it to be changed

* Room didn't have a safe. That's standard in hotel rooms. First one I've encountered without one.

I do believe I've entered 2 star territory & that is not my scene. Definitely got lied to by booking.com...

Only thing that was okay? The breakfast, but that was suspect too when I saw one of the staff putting bread & muffins away without gloves. They were just at the front desk handling office supplies. I didn't see hand washing occur inbetween.

I was appalled & grossed out. Thank god it was only a place to rest my head & I was out all the time. Ugh...

Saving grace? The nice staff. That's about it.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank JoeyGirl09
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 10 May 2014

After checking on I contacted the hotel about a super high heat and no windows. It is cool outside btw. When the clerk did not get back to me, as he said he would, I again called a half hour later. His suggestion was that I could leave the hotel if I was not happy. He did arrive an hour after my call with a fan, which just moved the air around. When asked about speaking to a manager the next morning he said "she does not work tomorrow".

In the morning I got some different answers from the front desk clerk, but still no answers. I am still waiting a call from the manager, who is in this morning apparently, but running late. I lost a night's sleep, I am uncomfortable, and I feel it is important to warn others about this uncaring hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank chad001
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We found the hotel on groupon and were excited to stay in a rustic hotel in downtown Toronto. We were also looking for a budget friendly hotel such as an equivalent to a Red Roof as our trip was budget friendly. Unfortunately the hotel was less than satisfactory. The first night we woke up to a flood coming from a leak in the ceiling of our hotel bathroom. They upgraded us to a larger room which was nicer, considering the room we stayed in the first night was very tiny. There was barely enough room for a full sized bed and a stand up shower. There was a small chair holding a coffee maker.
What bothered me the most was both rooms were dirty. Brown stains on the towels, stains on pillow cases, and stains on bedding, and hair. I asked the nice girl at the front desk for clean towels but she informed me they did not have any because the washers broke and housekeeping had to take the laundry somewhere else to clean. I understand these situations happen, just wish our towels we did have were clean.
Also the hotel holds 100 dollars at checkin for incidentals which I didn't really understand because I have worked in the hotel business for 9 years and I have yet to see a hotel of that quality hold such an amount.
Breakfast was basic but nice considering the quality of the hotel.
Staff was friendly. The young lady especially the most informative when asking questions about local activities.

• Stayed April 2014
4 Thank MrsSmurfie
Germany
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Positive: The room and bathroom are small but clean. It is very close to the Sherbourne subway station. From this station, you can take the subway directly to Kipling to transfer to the airport rocket bus. From Kipling, it takes only 20mins to the airport. It cost $3/person for the entire journey (subway+bus). So much cheaper than the other airport transfers! We were able to walk to downtown in 20-30 mins.

Negative: Very few restaurants close to the hotel. The rate sent in the email confirmation by the hotel was lower than in booking.com. They simply multiply the cost of the first night by the number of nights, even though the rates were higher on the weekend. When we checked in, we were told the lower total rate applied. But at check-out, they insisted on the rate based on booking.com, as the price of the last night was much higher. Why can´t they send the correct price in the first place?! Not very honest. The windows in my room couldn´t be opened but there was a gap causing cold draught to enter the room. We could feel the draught in bed. Breakfast was simple. The stay was more like in a hostel than in a hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple