Annex Quest House
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
Windsor Arms Hotel(Toronto)
  • Bar/Lounge
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 November 2012

We stayed at the Annex Quest House for a short trip in May and ended up moving out after two nights. While the location was great, very convenient, the rooms were not. Our "bed" consisted of a what appeared to be a home-made frame with a futon mat on top and some very thin sheets as blankets. Not to mention that it was smaller than a regular full size bed--not big enough for two people to comfortably sleep on.
Noise became also an issue to us; the constant coming and going of people in the hallway at all hours, combined with the incessant street noise from Spadina, didn't exactly improve our experience.

The bathroom was tiny, wedged into a nook which appeared to have been a closet at some point. Also, the notable absence of staff and the lack of breakfast were also a minus to us.

On the positive side, the establishment had a certain quaint atmosphere with its uniquely decorated rooms and "hip" vibe. I think it is better suited to younger people, backpackers--not for those of us who prefer the comforts of home when away from home.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay at the Annex Quest House, make sure you ask for a room not facing Spadina!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ann B
AnnexQuestHouse, Owner at Annex Quest House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2012

Regret that your experience left you disappointed.

As a specially designed "Vastu" Inn, our beds were handmade in the finest treated wood, with a hotel grade mattress. Reflecting South Asia, most of our furniture, and our flooring is made of wood, and is either hand-made or sourced from the region. Some pieces I personally brought from India. Modern amenities include coffee maker, microwave, minifridge, and free cold breakfast

Our beds are scaled to our rooms, and give guest a choice of double or queen. We usually recommend queen beds to couples, when we have availability.

Ensuite bathrooms were renovated when we created the Quest House in 2003, with bevelled copper sinks, full toilet, and showers kept bright and clean. These were purpose built in the 1980's - not converted closets.

Our walls and windows are solid. A check of other reviews reveal many compliments for the quiet and tranquility of the Annex Quest House, given our convenient locations steps from the metro/subway and Bloor St. - Toronto's Madison Avenue.

Hope you give us a second chance to please. Thousands of guests have enjoyed the experience.

Reviewed 25 October 2012

With a unique, quaint atmosphere and extremely friendly and accommodating service, we enjoyed our stay. Located next to a subway, it was a short walk to lots of shopping and places of interest. We will be staying again next year.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Not recommending it. We paid over $120 a night, and the service was bad, we asked an asian lady for some help with the internet, she told us to wait because she had to finish cleaning, all sweaty and asking us many times what we said, like our english was not understood. We still didn't get the help. Snack bar was empty most of the times. Unpleasant experience for this money.

Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 16 October 2012

I stayed at the Annex Quest House for one night, October 13th. The price is great compared to going rates for hotels in the area. The rooms are small, but quaint, and beautifully, eclectically decorated. There is a real asian feel, at least in the room I stayed in. My room had it's own bathroom (perhaps they all do). While my bed was a little hard for my taste, and the noise from Spadina woke me up early the next morning, these are the things that happen when staying in other places. It certainly takes me more than a night to adjust. Overall, I enjoyed my stay and the extra touches (bottled water, fridge, snacks). I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room located at the back of the building, away from Spadina.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I spent 11 nights at the Annex Quest and was very comfortable. It's in a very convenient location, next door to Spadina subway station and just 5 min. walk to either Bloor or Dupont. Although the room itself was very small and modest, it had an excellent bed and shower and some very nice touches, including a small fridge, a microwave, a coffee maker and a small teapot. There was no hair dryer. Although I rarely saw any staff, since they are mainly there only from 10 am to 7pm, they were always available by phone when needed. I had a mishap with a water bottle that soaked through a big spot on the bed right after my arrival, and the manager on duty immediately came to help me change the bedding without any fuss. When the weather started to get cold, I phoned in the evening and left a message asking them to leave me extra blankets, and when I returned, the blankets were on the bed. Another lovely feature that I really appreciated (and have never seen anywhere before) was the free bottles of water left out in a cabinet for guests to take as needed, along with a variety of snacks such as cookies, boxed cereals, chips and granola bars. I will happily stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo