“Cool atmosphere”

Ranked #10 of 536 things to do in Toronto
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Distillery District is an internationally acclaimed village of brick-lined streets and dozens of vibrantly restored Victorian Industrial buildings. It’s one of Ontario’s hottest tourist attractions and home to live theatres, galleries, fashion, design and jewelry boutiques, unique cafes and award-winning restaurants. It’s all completely closed to traffic and just a few minutes walk from downtown Toronto.
Reviewed 25 July 2011

When I went here it was during a jazz festival last year. We watched the bands play and we got dinner at a restaurant. The restaurants are all pretty unique.
It isn't very big though.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,540)

Reviewed 22 July 2011

Spent a hour or two with a friend visiting from out of town to see this part of Toronto. Visited the various shops and looking at the design of the updated buildings from the past. Much has been written about this area in the T.O. media concerning the various eateries, art galleries and upscale shops of different kinds. It is an area were one can walk at a nice pace and just to check out what this area has to offer. Good place to people watch as well. One can spend lot's of money in the various shops depending on your budget and/or just to check this atmosphere what this historically milieu has to offer.

1  Thank b0b55russell
Reviewed 17 July 2011

My mom & I spent a short time in the Distillery district. I am glad we came here but we couldn't find anything to do here. We looked in a few shops & that's about it. It was a cute area. I just don't think we knew all that there was to do here. There was also a few restaurants that probably would have been good to eat at but we were full. I do think if you are close by the area you should check it out!

Reviewed 7 July 2011

This is a lovely place to go to spend a few hours. There are lots of interesting shops and galleries with a good selection of restaurants to service any budget. The best aspect is the architecture of the many historical buildings.

Reviewed 25 June 2011

My husband and I spent a Tuesday afternoon in the Distillery district. After reading a few reviews, we went to take a look and ended up spending the entire afternoon there. The District is what the description claims it to be, but it also had a very relaxing vibe to it. We just walked around, browsed some stores and galleries. It was a middle of the week so there was not a lot of people, but still enough for the place not to feel deserted. We were told by one of the gallery owner that weekends are usually much more busy and crowded. We ate on the outside patio of one of the restaurants (the oyster house) and just had an overall great experience. This district provided everything we needed: lovingly restored old architecture, great food, people watching, store browsing. I would definitely recommend this place. Even if you are not into the old buildings, you would still enjoy this place even if you just stop for a good food and some store browsing.

1  Thank Galaxy775