“Disintered staff, paperthin walls and bang crash thump all night”

Residence Inn Toronto Airport
Ranked #50 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 12 November 2010

Checkin was ordinary – only thing impressive about it was how the front desk staff trotted out the usual “Welcome to the residence inn blah blah blah” in a disinterested monotone. When I made my booking I made a special requests asking for a room on the top floor which they hadn’t done, asked again and this had no effect and they seems totally unconcerned. Mainly young kids who don’t seem too interested in helping.

It is a standard new residence inn and they are constructed with really cheap materials, paperthin walls and floors so you hear everything from the room above and on the sides – I had big families above me and in the room next door - especially annoying was the room above – it was bang, crash, thump all night. I asked to get moved twice and they said they couldn’t do it, even offered to pay for a two bedroom but no luck. Then on the Friday I finished work at 5pm, arrived at the hotel at 5.10pm and noticed the carpark was empty so I thought now they will move me. Went to the front reception desk and asked if they could move me, and they said they could but would have to charge me for the room I was in and the new room as there was no one to clean my room – by this stage I had enough and I told them to put me down for checkout tomorrow.

There is a bit of traffic noise as on one side there is a major highway and other minor roads surrounding the hotel. Pool was nice, laundry room was fine $1.75 for a wash and $1.75 for the dryer. Nice and clean. Take away all the banging and thumping from the surrounding apartments and it would be acceptable but the noise and the attitude from the staff means I wont be going back.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank munizaga
Management response:Responded 16 March 2011

Thank you for your candid comments. It is unfortunate that the level of exemplary service expectation we aspire to maintain was not achieved during your stay. I have discussed your comments with my Front Desk team in detail. I appreciate the time you spent sharing your experience as this will help us improve our service approach to special requests.

It is very seldom that we have noise concerns from the nearby rooms and the road traffic outside. I regret to learn that we were not able to accommodate your request to move to a different room. Other acceptable options have been discussed within our team to better serve you and every guest in the future.

Gina Villanueva, General Manager

Reviewed 12 October 2010

The room was really comfortable and very neat and clean hotel. We had issues with our neighbours the first night , who were some teenagers and were knocking on our door but the management took immediate action and told them to cut it out.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank sanjay01
Reviewed 25 September 2010

We arrived a little before check in time and they were able to accommodate us which was welcome. The suite was large with king bed master suite, 2nd bedroom with bath, a full kitchen and livingroom area - 3 TVs. The carpets were showing signs of wear and stains. We were in a very quiet floor away from the elevator. I selected this hotel due to reviews and the price being less than half of price for one in downtown Toronto. The main drawback was that we pretty much had to drive everywhere - good thing for GPSs. We purchased a Toronto City pass and many of the attractions were not that close to downtown so I am not sure that public transportion would have been that reasonable for the 5 of us.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank LuvtoTravel19
Reviewed 11 July 2010

Friendly, effective service, spacious room, comfy bed. For the price of a motel, I got a separate bedroom, sitting room, and kitchen. No WiFi in the room, but the wired LAN worked well. Many restaurants nearby, but would need a car for groceries or mall runs. There were several frozen meals available at the front desk tuck shop, though. Courtesy shuttle from the airport was great, but you need to call first, which I think is standard. The in-hotel laundromat was handy, although the dryer didn't quite dry out my clothes. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 July 2010

This is the only hotel we've found near the airport which offers a true "suite" -- a full kitchen with dishes and utensils and a bedroom separate from the roomy living area. When we need to stay near the airport this is our hotel of choice. i would say its many amenities /advantages are more apparent during a multi-day stay than during a one-night stay.
It is spacious, clean, quiet and efficient, with friendly service and an excellent free breakfast buffet (including healthy options). Parking is also free whereas other airport hotels charge $8, $12 or more, per night. . It would be nice to have covered front and back entrances where bags could be unloaded with protection from inclement weather. That's about the only shortfall we noticed.

This is not a luxury, boutique or honeymoon hotel. It's clean, comfortable, well-run, well-appointed, with friendly staff and great amenities at an excellent price. Good choice for businessmen and families who are staying near the airport for a few days. The hotel grounds and immediate environs are not interesting or attractive, but they are clean, tidy, safe, quiet and within walking distance of some chain restaurants.

The photos taken by one of the reviewers don't look anything like the room we stayed in during Fall 2009. Our King suite was nicely furnished, with contemporary furniture in very good condition, good quality bed linens, comfortable bed and lots of good towels. Pots and pans were clean and sturdy. A good supply of dishes, glasses and cutlery, and a dishwasher. Lots of hot water, everything in good running order. We had absolutely no complaints.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2010

Me and my husband stayed in this hotel for the last night of our 2 week tour of eastern Canada, we wanted somewhere close to the airport to chill out in following all the sightseeing. The check in was very efficient and the receptionist was really friendly. I had requested a room close to the lifts and extra feather pillows. I got exactly what I asked for we couldn't have been closer to the silent lifts. The size of the room was amazing, a fully fitted kitchen, lounge area, bedroom with luxuriously comfortable king size bed, a changing room with wash bowl / vanity unit leading to the bath /shower room. Everything was modern and spotlessly clean with a TV and free wifi.

We made full use of the indoor pool and jacuzzi and the free hot breakfast was plentiful and very fresh. Although we arrived late in the evening there was a choice of places to eat within a 5 minute walk of the hotel. The free shuttle to the airport took lass than 10 minutes. Should we return to Toronto we would certainly use this hotel again and highly recommend it to other travellers.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2010

1st off this hotel does not have a roof at its entrance, so when you unpack your car at check in or check out, or when putting any gear in and out of the car, you are going to get wet, when it is raining, and it rains a lot in Toronto. You also cannot drop off or pick up the family when it is raining. My wife hates wet hear!!!
Check in was fast and easy. Parking was fine did not have to pay which is nice because some hotels charge in this area. The rooms are very roomy and clean. Our room was a two room suite. The bedroom and bathroom are very nice. The sink is outside of the shower room. The living room has the hated fold out sofa!!!!! This had to be the worst bed that I had to sleep on in years. I even hate to call it a bed. I’ve been on tent floors that were better to sleep on. lol!!! The bedroom only had a king bed in it. Which my 15 year old got. And a 15 yr old cannot sleep with his father??? I asked for a room with two beds but was told, we only have a few rooms with two beds. There also was a full kitchen in the room, which we did not us. But I looked it over and it looked ok, if we would have used it. I would bring my own pans to cook with. I’ll bet what was there would be too sticky to cook with???
The free breakfast in the lobby was complete, hot and good. You do not have to go out to eat breakfast.
Over all I would stay here again but only with a room with two beds, and pray for sun.
I cannot believe that I paid for a room with a fold out bed in it.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank TimP77
Also consider these accommodations in or near Toronto
Homewood Suites by Hilton Toronto Airport Corporate Centre
Radisson Suite Hotel Toronto Airport
Best Western Plus Travel Hotel Toronto Airport
TownePlace Suites by Marriott Mississauga-Airport Corporate Centre
Westin Toronto Airport
#66 of 137 in Toronto
Best Western Premier Toronto Airport Carlingview Hotel

Been to Residence Inn Toronto Airport? Share your experiences!