“Mamma Mia. What a show!!!!”
Review of Ed Mirvish Theatre

Ed Mirvish Theatre
Ranked #8 of 502 things to do in Toronto
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Ed Mirvish Theatre began its life in 1920 as a combination vaudeville and motion picture theatre in the Pantages theatre circuit. With its original 3373 seats, it was the largest cinema in Canada and, with its lavish interior - designed by the great theatre architect Thomas Lamb - the most elegant. David Mirvish officially renamed the iconic building The Ed Mirvish Theatre on December 6, 2011.
Reviewed 20 August 2018 via mobile

We saw Mamma Mia at the Ed Mirvish show. Loved how roomy and comfy the seats are. We were in row U up in the second level. Although you can’t see the facial expressions you still get to see the show and what a show it was. It was my 3rd time seeing Mamma Mia. And I would still see it again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,244)
All reviews
"front row"
in 13 reviews
"eaton centre"

Reviewed 20 August 2018 via mobile

Just saw the final performance of Mamma Mia @ the beautiful, historic Ed Mirvish Theatre in TO, ON with my 10 year old daughter. Such a great show! I wasn’t sure if my little one would ‘get it’ bc some of the themes from the show were mature & she didn’t know any ABBA music Well, she does now!

We arrived 10 min late as we were commuting from out of town. Traveling to TO is always challenging due to the suicidal 400/401 HWY (Slow down & leave room drivers!) as these commuter routes frequently have high volume, FAST speeds and frequent 30 car pileups due to a lack of police supervision & IDIOTIC drivers who believe that the merge lane should be used for passing! So despite leaving 3 hours before the show, and me having professional driver training we were nearly rear ended twice merging on the 401 E and the DVP! Then spent 40 min looking for parking as most of the lots near the theatre were full and streets were closed downtown. Be sure to read the cancellation policy for shows & follow any traffic or event warnings anytime you drive to TO.

Despite this, upon arrival we were graciously greeted by the Mirvish staff- as a subscriber our BB seat tickets were ready for us and we were cheerfully and empathetically accompanied to the washroom, the refreshment stand and our seats. Here’s a tip: to avoid embarrassment and being kicked out of seats you did not pay for, sit in the seats you bought! Just because they’re empty when the show starts doesn’t mean that they weren’t bought and paid for. You will look like an a$$ when the usher kicks you out & you disturb EVERYONE when you have to make tracks to the nosebleeds in the back of the theatre. You are NOT entitled to prime seats that are empty if you paid for something else. If you want good seats to a Mirvish show, become a subscriber, support the fine arts in Canada and sit in your assigned seats, especially on closing night of a popular performance. Follow the rules, they’re there for a reason- so that the cast, volunteers, employees, and audience can have the best, safest, most enjoyable performance possible.

The show itself was better then I thought it’d be. As a musical junkie I have pretty high standards (Les Mis in London in outstanding, cheap, last minute seats), and we’ve had the pleasure of seeing lots of TOs off Broadway shows, but Mama Mia was fabulous. Great London cast, high energy, entertaining, and enthusiastic performance. When I looked around the theatre I saw Mums and daughters, Dads, couples, people of all ages grinning and seat dancing . I bought my tickets last minute online through the subscriber portal and was so happy with thevalue for our 2 seats. Seat selection is personal- I have serious health challenges and prefer a protected aisle seat near the front sides of the theatre, because I enjoy seeing the cast up close, watching the theatre grips do scene changes, and seeing the wings. Not everyone does. You sacrifice view and are seated by the speakers, which can be LOUD, and smoke definitely will get in your eyes during special effects.

The actress who played ‘Donna’ was spot on. As was her hunky love interest, Sophie, and the other mains. Kudos to casting! My favourites were the adorable men who danced around bare chested and in scuba gear, but as a 30 something lady I may be biased! The ensemble was absolutely charming and engaging...if the cast is having fun and strutting their stuff, they play off the audience which makes the experience of live theatre personal and unforgettable! Phillip Ryan as ‘Sky’, and Samuel Hawkins, Stacey Leanne Mills, & Luke Jasztal were standouts of the lovely, thouroughly charming ensemble. In sum, the performance was not at all an over the top, in your face cheese fest, but a thoroughly enjoyable gem for anyone over the age of 9 (although you may need to answer some questions on the drive home ;) Hope to see the show back in TO for a longer engagement!

1  Thank christinecrawley2018
Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

This production was outstanding !! The theatre was beautiful , the staff welcoming and the ticketing process so easy . I loved receiving updates on the upcoming show that we ordered tickets for and we drove 4 hours to see an afternoon show so the traffic updates were appreciated

I cannot say enough about the vibe of the cast of the show . The production was an incredible blend of original stage and movie productions . So much fun ! Can’t wait to attend another show at this Theatre again soon !

Darlene
Bruce Peninsula

Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

Mamma Mia is an amazing show (2nd time seeing it). Ed Mirvish theatre is very easy to get to and every seat has a good view. We opted for cheapest seats and they were great! Very helpful staff too. Very enjoyable night put for sure.