“Spectacular building”

Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts
Ranked #15 of 539 things to do in Toronto
More attraction details
Owner description: Canada's first purpose-built opera house was completed in 2006 and is the home of the Canadian Opera Company and the National Ballet of Canada. Highlights of the Four Seasons Centre include the world's longest freespan glass staircase and a horseshoe-shaped, European style auditorium featuring phenomenal advancements in modern engineering and acoustical design. Facility tours are available. For upcoming opera and ballet performances, visit the Canadian Opera Company and The National Ballet of Canada websites.
Reviewed 5 January 2014

For the Opera. For the Nutcracker. Beautiful building, great acoustics. Wood, glass, warm and classy. Beautiful - oh wait, I said that already:)

All reviews
in 29 reviews
"stage"
in 33 reviews

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Yesterday (December 31st) me and my husband and two our granddaughters (6&8 y.o.) visited Four Seasons Center for Performance Arts in Toronto for the Nutcracker ballet. Our tickets were at the first row of the fifth ring. When we got to our seats I was struck by how unsafe these seats are! The guardrail is hardly 70 centimetres of height total (it is lower than your hips!). Approximately 50 cm of guard’s height is solid , and there is a tube handrail only above this solid part (with the gap around 20cm between solid part and the handrail). And you are five floors above the orchestra seats!
I could not believe how it was possible to design and get City approval and build such unsafe scary guard!!- especially for kids who lean to the guars in order to see better. Does it correspond Ontario Building Code? I had to watch our kids all the time and could not watch the show! We came to the show to have a pleasure and not a continuous stress and fear and risk! We left at entr’acte. The long waited show was spoiled by bad architectural design.

Regards
EmIliya Dubov

1  Thank Emiliya D
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

Went to a performance of The Nutcracker. The performance hall is beautifully designed both aesthetically and acoustically. There really isn't a bad seat. The production and set designs of The Nutcracker were very well done. A very enjoyable afternoon.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Three weeks ago, on Wednesday evening October 30, I had a very enjoyable evening. I attended a wonderful performance of the opera "La Boheme", performed at the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

The music was rich, with very melodious arias. I recognized some of them, which are probably well-known to many people. I heard this opera on the radio one Saturday afternoon a few months ago. Then, three weeks ago, I got to enjoy it being performed live!

The costumes were colourful and very appropriate for this opera. The sets also were superb!

If this opera returns to Toronto, I recommend for people to go to it, for an unforgettable time!

1  Thank Gail B
See more reviews
Reviewed 26 June 2013

This building is incredible! With a beautiful exterior with floor to ceiling glass walls it is just stunning. The accoustics are amazing and inside the theatre is just as beautiful as the exterior. The only downside for me was the seats I had were very uncomfortable to watch a stage production from. We were in the grand ring but on the sides. Now in the seating map it appear that you will be viewing slightly from the side but still facing the stage. Our seats were one with the other behind and sitting awkwardly up against the raining of our section. It was still a great view but very awkward and not romantic for a date. This is such a small complaint and they want to fill the theatre as much as possible so it is understandable but just a warning for future ballet goers.

2  Thank conciergetraveller