“Nice for the price”

Ranked #47 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Detroit
“Nice for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

This hotel was booked just by looking through their website as I had not seen it in person before during previous stays in Toronto. Hotel is not the easiest to find as it is on a very narrow one way street with construction all over the place. The excellent location more than makes up for it however. It is right around the corner from a Shoppers Drug Mart and numerous small restaurants. We stayed during Caribana and even with how busy the city was never experienced any issues with the hotel considering how booked they were. When you pull up to the hotel you may wonder where they are going to park your car as the street is so narrow. Look to the left and a door slides open with an elevator for your car, very interesting indeed. Checkin is smooth although the lobby leaves a bit to be desired at around 1000 Sqft tops. The whole hotel is very narrow and some may find the lobby and corridors stifling and tight. The rooms are almost like fully furnished small apartments. Everything in the room was okay with the exception of the bathroom. It is clean but appears very worn out around the edges with damage to the tile and sink. It very much feels like you are in a buddy's bachelor bathroom rather than a boutique hotel. Kitchenette is included in the room along with a washer/dryer combo which is a nice touch. Don't be fooled when they advertise rooms with a balcony. They fit maybe one person on them and looked like they were carved out of the side of the building with crumbling cement present. The bed leaves a little to be desired with no features to stand out. Staff was polite if slightly distant. They have a wine bar off of the lobby which we did not try. Overall I would recommend the hotel with the caveat of watching what you pay for it, if you are booking and they want much more than $200/night I would personally keep looking.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
tashie101, Manager at Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Thank you for your review. Your comments about your stay has made our colleague’s day. This is what we strive for and to have you validate our efforts by sharing your experience at the Cosmopolitan is very much appreciated. We are also currently in the process of renovating our bathrooms.

If there is anything else that would make your future stays even more comfortable, please do not hesitate to let us know. Thank you for taking the time to share the details regarding your most recent stay.

info@cosmotoronto.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Paris, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

I booked this through Tonight which is Booking.com last minute deals. The night before I was at One King West just across the street. The pictures of the hotel are deceiving. The rooms in the suites are rather small.
The worst part was the construction noise from a huge construction site right in front. Trucks constantly there from 5 in the morning until midnight, even Saturday.
The suite was dirty, the carpet very stained very dirty, in every corner hair and dust. Cigarette burn holes in the cheap leather couch, same on the cheapest possible parquet flooring.
The bathroom had so much mould and discoloration it scared me.
The kitchen in the suite though was very nice (not that I used it) and well done. The bed was good, the beddings perfect. Nice touch to have two high quality housecoats. Also a washer dryer etc, making the suite very complete.

On arrival they could find the booking asked me to wait, still couldn't find it, this went on for a while. They offered me free wifi because of this, nice gesture.
Not much in the way of a meeting room and the lobby is not more than a front counter. That is okay if you are not greeting people but if you do this boutique hotel isn't for you.

Because of the state of cleanliness especially the bathroom, and the noise from construction which will take years, I will say, avoid this hotel.

Room Tip: Higher levels, not on the south side as the construction is right in front of you. Best to avoid the...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Neil S
Thank you for your review. Your comments about your stay has made our colleague’s day. This is what we strive for and to have you validate our efforts by sharing your experience at the Cosmopolitan is very much appreciated. We will be sure to discuss the concerns you shared with our housekeeping staff.

On behalf of the hotel, I would like to apologize for your inconvenience during the construction happening around our hotel. Although this construction is out of our control, we still would like to express our sincere apology. If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to reach out to our Hotel Manager Chad Rowe at chad.rowe@cosmotoronto.com.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for two nights. The suite was very comfortable - small but cozy. The little kitchen is very convenient. We used the gym. Staff are very friendly. This is a great location if you want to be close to everything. It's a short walk to the Eaton Centre. We will be back.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Tokyo, Japan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

My sister and I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. Hotel is very close to subway station and numerous buses/streetcars so very convenient. There is a loblaws 1km away to stock up on groceries for the full kitchen the hotel provided. Check in was very easy, the front desk staff were very helpful; they made sure the room had a washer and dryer (I had specifically requested for this). Also when we left they were able to hold onto our bags while we grabbed lunch before heading to the airport.

We stayed in a Zen Suite and the room was very nicely decorated. We could tell the building is old, but they did renovate well. However, might need a new coat of paint on the walls, and the balcony was really dirty so we didn't spend much time there. The tiling in the shower is old, but was clean as far as I could tell.

There is no free wifi which I think is a big minus. Most hotels I have been to now offer free wifi, so this was really a disadvantage to us.

I felt that the housekeeping was terrible. On the first night, I found multiple strands of hair that did not belong to me or my sister on the bed/pillows (different hair color) which made me wonder if bed spreads and pillow cases were changed. Twice during our stay I had to call front desk to bring up conditioner and toilet paper because nothing was regularly replaced. Other than fixing the bed and giving us towels it didn't look like much cleaning effort was done. The floors were definitely not swept as hair was everywhere. We make an effort to tidy up after ourselves by picking up our own hair etc but anything leftover was never cleaned. I have been to cheaper hotels that do a better housecleaning job than this one.

So overall, Not sure if I'd come back because of housecleaning, but front desk and location is good.

To get to the hotel from airport via transit, take 192 Rocket bus to kipling subway station, take train to ST.George and transfer to the southbound train, getting off at King station. Hotel is 3 min walk. Cost is 3 dollars (you can transfer from bus to subway for free).

Room Tip: ask for washer/dryer if you're there for awhile!
Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for such a wonderful review. Your comments about your stay has made our colleague’s day. This is what we strive for and to have you validate our efforts by sharing your experience at the Cosmopolitan is very much appreciated. We are also currently in the process of renovating our bathrooms and we will be sure to discuss your discomforts with our housekeeping staff. Regarding WIFI, we are currently in the process of rectifying our services and we will be creating new offerings regarding WIFI in the coming months.

Cambridge, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

Upon booking this hotel, I have been deciding between this (Cosmopolitan) or its counter part, the Pantage. The reason for picking this hotel was because their Tranquility Suites, offer walk out balconies which was required for part of my 3rd year anniversary surprise. Booking & upgrading my suite to ensure the tranquility was relatively easy. The customer service staff was extraordinary! Bianca & Melissa for their front rep for the day time and night time are the stars of the show. hands. down! Upon checking in, we arrived early, but they allowed us to park my car and placed our luggage on hold, while my girlfriend and I walked around the city. Our room was ready at 2:30 instead of the standard 3:00 just because of Bianca requesting a little bit of a rush, which I greatly appreciated because it was not necessary from me. In arriving to our room, we were greeting with 2 giant cupcakes which said "Happy Anniversary, From our Staff!". another bonus, great customer service and relations.

Now to the room, it was amazing, gorgeous, the views were beautiful even though it was all city. We were placed on the 25th floor, thanks to the staff meeting my request of being placed on a high floor! once again, amazing customer service.

The beds, couches, floor, all felt so clean and my girlfriend immediately fell in love with the room because of the "homey" feel it provided her.

There were minor issues to the room, such as the TV in the bed room had cable issues. but none the less we were better off not being occupied with mindless TV anyways. so once again, minor.

The rooms however, I am telling you, opt for the Tranquility Suite, that balcony is well worth it alone. & their robes, by far one of the softest ones offered.

Nassam or Nassem, I apologize for the spelling mistake, I could not see his name badge clearly, but he is amazing at the valet service, fast, efficient and friendly, spent some time making small talk with me because he had no other customers and I appreciated the customer relation the staff of Cosmopolitan had. As my girlfriend said, this hotel, has the homey feel. It is home away from home.

A must place to go for any person out of town, or any one in town trying to find an escape, located right off of King, literally, it is far enough for it to be in its own little world away from the city mess and rush. but close enough for those who want to go back into it all.

The location is one of the best features of this hotel, it makes it a hidden gem amongst the city.

Room Tip: Tranquility suite, request for high floors if available.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for such a wonderful review. Your comments about your stay has made our colleague’s day. This is what we strive for and to have you validate our efforts by sharing your experience at the Cosmopolitan is very much appreciated. We are very happy that we were able to make your anniversary special and are pleased to know you enjoyed your stay.

Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

I was worried about this hotel after reading several negative reviews about this hotel, but upon arrival I quickly realized that those were not correct reviews. The check in process was fast and friendly, and the Valet guy "Nassem" was very prompt in the service (parking the car & retrieving it). The hotel has a very modern look to it, and the room was really nice. Room number 802 had a small bedroom area (Not the most comfortable bed), a good size sitting area with a flat screen TV, a good size bathroom (yes the grout needs to be re-done) but nothing gross, and the room also has a full kitchen, which includes a bar size fridge, small dishwasher, stove top, Keurig, and pots and pans. Were were an 8 minute walk to the Roger's Centre, and about 5 minutes to union station.

There is very little parking around this hotel, so we had to pay something like $20 to park the car overnight, but was well worth the money instead of parking in one of the open lots and walking our luggage down the street. Be prepared when you arrive to unload the car infront of the hotel, and send your vehicle with valet. Colborne street is a very narrow 2 way street with limited to ZERO parking.

All in all for an overnight stay this exceeded our expectations, and would stay here again when we return to Toronto.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
tashie101, Manager at Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Thank you for such a wonderful review. Your comments about your stay has made our colleague’s day. This is what we strive for and to have you validate our efforts by sharing your experience at the Cosmopolitan is very much appreciated. We are also currently in the process of renovating our bathrooms.

Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

Our accommodations were advertised as a suite and didn't fit that definition. It was a narrow entry hallway, a reasonable kitchen with washer/dryer and a very tiny bedroom with hardly enough room to walk around it, much less anywhere to store luggage. There was no sitting area, simply a hard-backed chair at a desk and two barstools that then blocked entry to the kitchen. Sitting on the bed was the only option and we felt like we were locked in a closet for our entire stay. The location is noisy but very convenient to the subway, and the room was kept clean and inconsistently refreshed with toiletries and kitchen supplies. Wifi was an extra charge of $15/day!! Who does that these days?

Room Tip: Make sure you get a REAL suite, not the Zen Suite.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sally P
Hello Sally P.,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay at the Cosmopolitan Hotel. I sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations. I have discussed the issues you had with the Hotel Manager and Executive Housekeeper. We are in the process of renovating our bathrooms and expect to be completed by the end of the summer.

Your experience is not indicative of the service we provide our guests at the Cosmopolitan. Please accept my sincere apologies.

I would like to extend an apology on behalf of The Cosmopolitan Hotel. Please feel to contact me directly to personally discuss the issues you have had staying at our hotel.