“A real treat”

Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan Toronto
Ranked #45 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 13 July 2008

Got this well-located independent hotel for a bargain rate on Expedia, and it was one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in. The Zen-themed suite was luxurious, had a well equipped kitchen including a dishwasher and breakfast bar, as well as a washing machine and tumble dryer, a big television, CD player with calming music playing, iron and ironing board, very comfortable bed and good silent air conditioning. Turn down service included precious gems and incense sticks. Free daily newspaper and a well stocked mini bar and snacks and complimentary water and apples! What more could we ask for...A DVD player actually... which was supplied free of charge when we asked for it with no problem at all.

Lucy and the other reception staff were friendly and helped us with everything we needed including maps, directions and local knowledge.

We had breakfast twice, and Summerlicious (A Toronto-wide scheme involving locally-sourced food and wine at reasonable prices) lunch and dinner once in the hotel's restaurant, "Eight". Service was impeccable and food utterly delicious. One waiter even corrected a minor mistake by bringing us - unprompted - free Champagne with strawberries,

The business facilities were great and some online services like checking in for a flight and printing your booking pass were free.

Some constructive criticisms:
- We would have liked a bath in the room
- The spa was very average and difficult to book unless you went at a time an allotted booking person was there.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PJ_Barnes

Reviewed 8 July 2008

It was eerie to read the other reveiws because they seem to have experienced the same problems I did. Not a coincidence!! I assure you.

When I arrived at the hotel, there was no valet or parking. I carried my own bags in to the hotel and to the desk. When I attempted to check in, the clerk informed me that I would need to go to the second floor to take $$ out of an ATM because debit was down. I was charged a fee of $2.00 to take $$ out on top of the $1.50 charge I get from my bank for using an independent ATM. The second room on our reservation had to do this as well. This amounted to $10 in extra fees and they refused to take it off the room rate.

Outside of the room, was a terrace where a high school graduation party was held. It was very disruptive and the music and teens could be heard clearly even with the windows closed.

The other guests in my party had two men walk into the room while one of them was in the shower with the door open. It was only an hour after check in and they did not knock. Two females were staying in that room and they were very disturbed.

When my partner opened the blinds to the balcony, the metal header fell down and narrowly missed her head. It did strike her foot, gave her a good scare and take a chuck out of the floor. Looking at the mark it made I was thankful it missed her head!. When I let the manger know at check out she was rude and I found it to be of little consolation considering everything we had been through in our short stay.

I left feeling as if my experience was anything but the relaxing Zen experience the website promised. I piity anyone who has paid full price for this subpar hotel.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
7  Thank froggrrl
Reviewed 23 June 2008

I was excited before we arrived but it was a disappointing stay. Although I loved the suite, (we did use the kitchen) the blinds did not open (and were not repaired), the airconditioning was not working throughout the hotel (it was very hot, about 30C) for the entire 4 day stay. The spa is definitely not 5 star. We had pedicures and it took three trips to the spa to book the appointments. The spa staff had no people skills/training. I found the shag rugs cute but a little disturbing in a hotel, how could you possibly clean them between guests?

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank luckyme30
Reviewed 18 June 2008

We stayed here for a week. Our room overlooked the street, we had a direct view into the office block opposite - thank goodness for the blinds!

The room was more like a small apartment - kitchenette, washing machine and tumble dryer were welcome facilities. The whole 'Feng Shui' philosophy about the room design was a nice touch, but I don't know that I was entirely convinced (the complimentary toiletries were charged with a gemstone, and there was a different gemstone placed on the bed each day).

The location of the hotel was excellent - we were within walking distance of several major attractions (the Hockey Hall of Fame, Union Station, St Lawrence Market, Rogers Stadium and CN Tower. I would recommend St Lawrence Market as somewhere to visit, we found some good places to eat around this area.)

The foyer to the hotel is small, with the entrance to the bar/eatery facing the street entrance. We didn't try the bar, but it looked lively on the weekend.

I would recommend as a hotel for business users and those looking for somewhere a little off the beaten track.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Clem C
Reviewed 10 June 2008

After researching Toronto hotels, I came upon this one; loved the reviews. After researching rates with the online websites, I called the hotel directly and negotiated a $179 a night rate for a suite--nice! The best I could find online was $184 for just a room.

The location is superb...convenient to the Harborfront, but far enough from the gritty end of Yonge Street--an easy walk to King Street E. and W. Colbourne also has some nice restaurants on the street within a couple hundred feet.

Overall, I can't say enough nice things about the place but several things stand out. The room was beautiful--sleek, contemporary and comfortable. The staff was delightful and sincerely nice. Even when the service was quirky in the restaurant or the bar, the folks were so genuinely solicitous you couldn't help but smile. Make sure to ask that they include the continental breakfast, which was very good and more than enough to hold you.

One added bonus: Upon checking in, the desk staff offered a 50% off discount coupon for the upscale restaurant in the hotel, which we accepted. We had a fine meal for a reasonable (by Toronto standards) price. Note to travelers who've not been to Toronto in a while...prices on lodging, food and drink have gone up, up and up. There's even a liquor tax now and no more tax refunds at the border.

Tip: Park in the underground parking garage at the end of Colbourne Lane and Church Street. You can't miss it. Our bill for parking from 6:00 PM on Friday to 10:00 AM on Sunday was $16.00 total--what a deal! Given the weather and the prices of the surface lots, I am really glad we parked here.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RochesterNYguy
Reviewed 30 April 2008

Stayed here for two days in April '08. The beds are comfortable, but the kitchenette is a bit outdated. Also, a word of warning, on check in they charge $150/night up front for incidentals (be sure to pay attention, as the staff won't tell you how much they're charging unless you ask specifically). In my experience the staff was also quire rude about answering any questions or resolving problems with the room.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank MEW2
Reviewed 23 April 2008

I booked our staff conference here for April 2008 for 1 week - 15 different rooms for staff from around the world. Personally I stayed on the 25th Floor Room #2. Everybody was really happy with their rooms. As a group we travel a lot and have been in a lot of hotels. Everyone agreed it was more relaxing to come here at the end of the day than a typical hotel as the room set up is better and you don't feel like you're in a hotel - more like you're crashing at your friends place.

This is more of a botique hotel. Most rooms are like studio apartments (they also have some suites / larger rooms). They have a small kitchen area - stove top, microwave, dishwasher, small fridge, cutlery, pots / pans, coffee maker, toaster etc. Living room area has a desk, flatscreen tv, two chairs, kitchen countertop with two bar stools. Floors throughout the room are laminate wood floors with a couple of throw rugs.

Decor: Modern and contemporary. The furniture looks like it comes from West Elm - if you like that style you'll like the decor.

Storage: large closet with good storage space in the hallway. There is an in suite washer / dryer in every room. Plus iron and ironing board.

Bathroom: Walk in shower, floor to ceiling tiles, bowl sink, standard toiletries. Two bathrobes in room

Bedroom: I had a separate bedroom with a door - small but fine. Had an additional smaller flatscreen tv in there. Bed was comfortable, 4 pillows, bolster, duvet - no bedspread or coverlet which I personally prefer for sanitary reasons.

Balcony: some rooms have balconies - mine did but I would not say it was a space you would want to hang out in. No furniture out there and no real view since the hotel is in the heart of the city and surrounded by towers. More likely you would want to open the door to get fresh air (screen door) or step out to have a cigarette (a lot of the rooms are non smoking).

Atmosphere: the hotel tries hard to make it a relaxing place for their clients. Thre is a water fountain in the living room, bamboo shoots for decoration, meditation (stretching mat), plus they will have the incense of your choice given to you during turn down service every night.

Spa: They have a fabulous spa here in the hotel. Some of my colleagues used it and enjoyed it very much. A swedish massage is $110Cdn for an hour. I believe that hotel guests get a 15% discount.

Gym: They have a tiny gym here. 1 treadmill, 1 eliptical, 1 bicycle, 1 bench with free weights, stretch mats, and 1 combined weight machine.

Staff: 10 star staff. Everyone is very helpful and friendly. All of our issues were dealt with promptly. We were greeted whenever we came back in to the hotel.

Housekeeping: The rooms were clean. If you put your Do Not Disturb sign on the door they will respect it and not come in.

Security: Very good. To access your floor you must put your card in the elevator to push your button. Peep hole in door, dead bolt, swing door guard plus digital safe where you program your own code that is big enough to fit a laptop. Downtown is a bit deserted at night. Main streets are fine.

Internet: Pay for internet $12Cdn per day. Wireless available in rooms. Had no problems VPN in to work.

Breakfast: available on the ground floor. I did not eat there but my colleagues did. This was their one complaint with the hotel. Cost was $12Cdn per day. There was no hot food (omlettes etc), Just toast, bread, and waffles. They used to have the hot food but guess they changed their menu.

Nearby: There is a 24 hour Dominion Supermarket a couple of blocks from the hotel. Very large including vegan / vegetaritan foods, organic foods and all the other standard fare. There is also a 24 hr drug store - Shoppers Drug Mart one block away on King St.

ATM - there is an ATM on the second floor of the hotel. Also several along Kings St / Main Streets of the city.

Getting Here: To / From Toronto Pearson Airport it is a flat rate of $46 Cdn for the taxi + tip (no tolls). Average time is 45 min. There is also an Airport Express shuttle bus that operates every 20 to 30 min. Approx $20 one way or $30 rtn. They drop off to 10 different downtown locations.

Airport: Note you go through customs in Toronto if you are coming / going to the USA so allow time in your schedule. When leaving Toronto the customs line can be quite long so don't show up at the last minute - you'll miss your flight.

Things to do: the CN Tower for the view on a nice day is great. We had dinner in their revolving restaurant. It's a bit pricey. Food was not fabulous but decent, considering it is a tourist atraction. Service was horrible. Very slow. Think they are understaffed. You can organize tours through the hotel - including to Niagra Falls and in season to the wine area (some tours do both as they are in the same area). 75 miles away - 1.5 hrs drive.

Shopping. Tons of shopping in the area. Toronto, known for its cold winters, has a lot of underground malls and people use these walkways to get between building downtown without having to go outside. All price ranges for shopping.

Overall we were all very happy with our stay here at this price point (approx $225Cdn / night) and would be happy to return.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business