“Terrible Experience, Will never go there again.”

Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan Toronto
Ranked #45 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 9 December 2013

First of all, we were not informed that we would be charged for the room $249.00and deposit of $100.00 the day before we get to the hotel. We got a tranquility suite, shower was a disgusting state. Soap residue from the last booking was still in the shower. Wine bar is closed down, meaning no room service if you needed and no notice of this anywhere to notify customers. Upon checking out and questioning why we were charged before arriving at the hotel....front staff was very rude, spoke with Natalie and Benjamin. They have no clue of customer service at all. Ive stayed at this hotel numerous times....last time I was there, we decided to give the hotel one more chance with their service and it sucked! I will never go to this hotel again, and will not recommend this hotel to anyone. For the price, there are better hotels downtown with GREAT service rather than this one. The spa, and service you get from the spa is excellent....and this is the only thing that the hotel is good for...their spa service.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Trina V
Chad R, Manager at Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Thank you for your review of the Cosmopolitan. I would like to take this opportunity to respond to some of your concerns. Your credit card was never charged, however we do "authorize" a credit card to ensure we will receive payment, 24 hours in advance of a stay. This is common practice of many hotel chains. The authorization was manually released the same day you checked out of the hotel, at your request.

Regarding "Eight", our restaurant, it was closed as of December 1st, and this has been communicated on our website, as well as a notice which is still on the front desk. I apologize if you feel this didn't suffice, but we've tried our best to communicate this to current and future guests of the hotel. The front desk has created a list of local restaurants to visit, as well as a listing of all food delivery options available to our hotel.

I apologize if you feel that our hotel was not up to par in regards to customer service or cleanliness. We continue to work with our teams to ensure that all guest situations are handled to the expectation of the guest in question, and all suites are cleaned to ours, and to our guests expectations.

Again, I would like to thank you for your comments and for the review you have given us of the hotel.

There are newer reviews for Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan Toronto

Reviewed 28 November 2013

I have stayed in the Cosmo on Colborne several times and have found it to be a generally acceptable experience. Management seems to be trying for a boutique feel and charges accordingly however the rooms and general ambiance seem cheap and forced at times.

How many $300+ per night hotel rooms have squeeze bottles of shampoo attached to the shower wall? This results in a kind of a Motel Six feel to the place

On a more positive note the location is great if you need to be in that part of town, the bed was comfortable and I had no complaints with the attentiveness of the staff

I plan to stay their again my next trip

Room Tip: ask for a good room
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank IslandHopper888

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us at the Cosmopolitan Toronto! Just to ensure that you and anyone else reading this is aware, we will be doing all we can to ensure that our rooms and standards are kept up to date in order to for our guests to be completely satisfied. I appreciate all your comments and for the review you have given us of the hotel.

The Cosmopolitan is a few years old and I agree, our suites do require some rejuvenation. We have an extensive plan for 2014 to ensure our suites are kept up to par with our guests expectations, and our own! (specifically bathroom renovations will be starting mid December, and room renovations early 2014).

Reviewed 18 November 2013

This hotel is a nice alternative to some of the big chain hotels in Toronto. I selected this hotel to try a new place to stay during a convention. I am very glad that I asked for an Upgraded room. There are some nice restaurants that are in walking distance, as long as the weather is nice. If not you have to taxi to an from most places, and it make time some time to get a cab.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for or pay for an upgrade room, that you you wont feel you are sleeping in a closes.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Chad R, General Manager at Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Thank you for your review. We are extremely pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us! At the Cosmopolitan we strive for great service and positive experiences and to have you share your experience at our hotel is very much appreciated.

We hope to see you again should you be in the Toronto area!

Reviewed 16 November 2013

Horrible, I travel frequently & I would NEVER stay here again or recommend it to anyone. The location is central & downtown that is the only potential benefit. Here's the issues I experienced. Check in/out & any other services were painfully slow at the front desk. I was once told for valet that it would be 30 mins. TOTALLY unacceptable & another time we called ahead for the car & they just forgot. We were late for our dinner reservation. They charged me more for valet than what I had been told on the phone & it was bad service. THe room was very very dustry, scratched/scuffed walls. Small space & poorly designed. There was construction going on & noise that woke us up every single morning on a long weekend. The bed was ok but sheets were stingy, not nice quality & worse of all the pillows (if you can call them that) were lumpy inferior clumps. TOTALLY dissapointing overall. They offer a rebate for their spa but have no bookings available for RMT's only unlicensed massage-no thanks! But the WORSE part is they charged me for unauthorized charges on my credit card that were not disclosed upon check out 6 weeks later I called and they could not explain the charges. Currently having to dispute these charges. In a way I'm not surprised. I have never had so many issues with 1 miserable hotel. This hotel is cheap, badly maintained, unkempt, dishonest and other than 1 nice girl at the front desk everyone else is totally useless. NEVER GO HERE especially when there are so many other choices nearby within same/similar pricing. BTW so "great deal" I got was almost the same price as a real suite across the way at 1 king west. Go there if you like the location. Can't tell you how bad this place was...

Room Tip: don't stay ever ever
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank OrangeEarl

Thank you for your review. Your comments about your stay have been noted, and I did want to share that a lot has transpired and improved at the hotel, since your stay in August this year. The management has changed, along with most of the Front Office staff and the Executive Housekeeper. At the Cosmopolitan we are striving for great service and positive experiences and we feel that we have come quite a long ways in all areas since your stay in August. We will be sure to discuss your concerns with the affected departments, and truly do take all of your concerns seriously. Unfortunately the construction next door to us is out of our control, but have confirmed with the city the hours of operation that they are able to work, which will help our guests moving forward.

We would love to welcome you back to the hotel and give us the opportunity to show you our areas of improvement, rather than just state them here. Shoudl you be willing to give us another chance, or should you wish to discuss your stay in August with me further, please freel free to contact me directly at the hotel.

Thank you for taking the time to share the details regarding your stay.

Warm Regards,

Hotel Management

Reviewed 9 November 2013

I would say all around that this was a "nice" hotel. I definitely did not have the negative experience that many other travelers have written about in reviews but it was not also the nicest hotel I have stayed in.

Below I have listed my pros and cons but my BIGGEST warning is not to stay in any of the number 5 rooms. Firstly, there is no wired internet so you are stuck with whatever the wireless is running at and apparently according to maintenance #5 rooms on every level are actually behind the routers so my connection was spotty at best, definitely not what you want when travelling for business.

Pros
1. Close to everything - There is a drug store right around the corner, a minimart, Tim Hortons, and close enough to walk to everything in Downtown Toronto, including easy access to the subway.
2. Clean - Unlike other reviewers, my room was clean when I arrived and was cleaned consistently each day. The bathroom was a little dingy but that was more someone's bad choice to put white grout in the bathroom, as it discolors easily
3. Mini-fridge and coffee in room - The kitchen in the room was quite nice to half and something I am not used to having when I travel. Again, for me it was cleaned well each day.
3. Helpful Front Desk

Cons
1. No Wired Internet and poor wireless connectivity - Being a business traveler this is a huge red flag to me as I often am having to finish up work in the hotel. The wireless in room 5 on all levels and I ended up having to work from the kitchen bar (when I had internet) which was quite uncomfortable.
2. Workout room is stuffy and dingy - While I appreciated that they had some equipment the workout room was quite small with 1 treadmill, 1 elliptical and some other items. It also felt VERY dingy as there were stains on the ceiling, the ceiling was quite low, there were no windows and with the lights on it very quickly got stuffy and warm.
No included breakfast and available one is cold continental - Not a big deal since Tim Hortons, subway, etc. is right around the corner but something to be aware of.

Overall, if I am travelling for work I might be wary to stay here again due to the internet but it's not a bad hotel if you want something central, affordable, and comfortable.

Room Tip: Avoid all # 5 rooms - according to maintenance they all have terrible wireless internet signal
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Katie H
Chad R, Manager at Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay at the Cosmopolitan Hotel in Toronto. We appreciate your feedback and value your suggestions for our future guests. A couple things to note, in regards to your Internet and Fitness room comments. We are actually working on both items, and both will be upgraded by the New Year at the latest. We have a full Fitness Room renovation scheduled to take place in December, and at the same time we are having our Internet connections/speed from the guestrooms resolved as well.

Again, thank you for your feedback, and thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Toronto! We hope that you will choose us again should you require lodging in the downtown core.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

We like to spend several weekends a year in Toronto, and have settled on the Cosmopolitan as a place to stay. The rooms are small, but well appointed and well supplied for the weekend. It is close to bars, shops, subway, and most things you want from a downtown experience. Service is good and to date we find it a quiet environment (for downtown Toronto). A few things to note. The kitchen is more than adequate for breakfast, snacks etc, but it is necessary to empty the minibar to use a fridge. Housekeeping can be spotty, so if you tip for housekeeping, wait until the end. They also have a great spa if you are in to that. Overall, good value

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Chad R, Manager at Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Thank you for your review. We are extremely pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us last week! At the Cosmopolitan we strive for great service and positive experiences and to have you share your experience at the Cosmopolitan is very much appreciated. We will be sure to discuss your concerns with our staff in the housekeeping department regarding the cleanliness concerns you had in your suite. We hope to see you again should you be in the Toronto area!

Again, thank you for taking the time to share the details regarding your most recent stay

Reviewed 25 October 2013

Good location for walking to everything downtown. Easy to get to and from by car and they have a valet service for that too. A little pricey for the overnight valet but at least it is offered. Rooms were very nice with my suite being on the 23rd floor and on a corner. Great views off of the small balcony of the CN Tower and downtown buildings.
Overall very nice place to stay with reasonable rates since it is not right in the middle of town.

Room Tip: Corner suites with good views are either the 3rd or 4th room on each floor. I would say to try and g...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your positive review of the Cosmopolitan Hotel Toronto. We hope that the next time you're in Toronto, you will choose to stay with us again!

Cosmopolitan Hotel Management