“Let's be clear: This is a BUSINESS hotel.”

Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan
Ranked #47 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
“Let's be clear: This is a BUSINESS hotel.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I'm a 26 year old software developer and needed to stay in the city for a week. This hotel is in the middle of the financial district and while I was there the clients were very "financial district", if that makes any sense.

As far as the hotel is concerned, the rooms were quite nice: Spacious, good view, nice climate controls, nice bathroom. There were some obvious signs of aging: A few doors (bathroom) wouldn't close without a good kick and there were a few (hardly noticeable) scuffs on the wall.

It's in a good location. But I still had a hell of a time finding it. It's on Colborne street, which none of my cab drivers could locate. To help you out: It's across from the Victoria Hotel. Don't look for the lit up green sign they have on all of their promotional media, look for a small white flag with the "tower" logo on in gold writing - or look for the Wildfire sign.

The WiFi was OK. It didn't cover my whole suite, although the desk area had 100% signal strength consistently. The hard-wired ethernet port didn't seem to be hooked up, although I never asked the front desk about it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Chad R, Manager at Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Brad J;

Thank you for posting your feedback regarding your recent stay with us, at the Cosmopolitan Hotel Toronto. It is always great to hear feedback from our guests to know how your experience was.

Regarding the Internet, we are currently working on an upgrade to our entire system, as we know that it is quite "spotty" and inconsistent, which is unacceptable for our guests. We hope to have this upgrade completed by the end of summer. I have also ensured that our Maintenance team is aware of your comments regarding the condition of your room, so that the team is aware of the imperfections as we are striving to ensure all of our guestrooms are in excellent condition.

Again, thank you for your feedback, and we hope to see you again in the future should you require accommodations in the downtown Toronto area!

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed at the Cosmo during February 2014. I was quite impressed by the staff on the front desk (Kelly, Yonas, Ben). It was a lot of new faces so I was initially worried that they would not be up to the standard I had grown accustomed to over the years. I have had a couple of disappointing experiences with some previous staff that had almost turned off the hotel entirely. I would like to say that Kelly deserves a special mention as she went above and beyond to ensure that my needs were taken care of. The entire front desk team seemed to go out of their way to make my stay memorable - with a friendly smile and assistance to every small detail. I felt like VIP royalty.

My suite was tidy and presentable. I enjoy having a washer/dryer, balcony, microwave, mini fridge and stove top elements. I miss having room service option but there are a couple of dining options in the area. Thee is also a decent assortment of snacks in each room for purchase. We enjoyed the Steakhouse as well.

This is a lovely hotel in the heart of the city - close to the subway, financial district and downtown core. It is not the Ritz or Trump Tower. Do not stay here if you want premium toiletries, room service or a fancy lobby. I do recommend this hotel if you wish to stay in a boutique hotel with a charming 'condo' style. I found the staff to be accommodating, courteous and willing to assist. I did not notice any noise from the construction.

Room Tip: Ask for a lakeview room with a view. And not most suites has a sliding door with a small balcony.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Chad R, Manager at Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear YYZ_Kat;

Thank you very much for your comments. We are extremely pleased to hear you enjoyed your time spent at the Cosmopolitan Hotel! Your positive remarks regarding our Front Office team has made our colleagues day, thank you!

We appreciate your sincere recommendation and we look forward to welcoming both you and those you refer to our hotel in the near future.

Edmonton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed there for business in June 2014. It was a great condo style room with all the amenities including a snack caddy and stocked fridge, coffee etc. The staff were very friendly, especially the bellman who helped me with my bags when I arrived. Very comfortable and had a stylish and urban decor. My room had a wall of windows in the living room where the office desk is located so I had a stellar view while I worked with my morning coffee before my meetings. I must say the shower could have been cleaner though. There was hair from someone else in the bathroom. That said, I would stay there again. Beautiful views of the city. Safe area and very convenient and central.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Trusty_Traveller99;

Thank you for your wonderful review and detailed comments regarding your stay at the Cosmopolitan Toronto. We value your feedback and, even more, the time and effort devoted to sharing it with us. I have taken note of your comment regarding the cleanliness in your suite, and have ensured that our Executive Housekeeping Manager and the team are also aware of your shared concerns.

We appreciate your sincere review and we look forward to welcoming you to our hotel again.

Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I came in late at night for a business trip. The staff was very helpful in finding the location and directing me to various parking options. The inside could benefit from some remodeling; however, I found my room very nice and spacious. It was a quiet and comfortable stay. The breakfast was not bad either.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Clint C;

Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

The location was great. Parking was $40 a day. The rooms have great potential, however they were dirty, the linens were old and ratty. The bathroom walls were gross. The entire place needs paint. Never was able to connect to the "free" WiFi. It should be listed as a 2.5 - 3 star tops.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lstravel2014
Dear Istravel2014;

Thank you for your review. At the Cosmopolitan we strive for great service and positive experiences and to have you share your experience at the Cosmopolitan is very much appreciated.

We are currently undergoing a full hotel Internet upgrade in order to improve the WIFI experience for our guests. This upgrade should be completed by the middle of August at the latest. The cleanliness and condition of your guest suite has also been noted, and I apologize again that this did not meet your expectations during your stay with us.

Thank you for taking the time to share the details regarding your most recent stay.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

There are may reasons why this should not be a 4 star rated hotel and should not be considered unless you are desperate and without any options. First off, if more than one party checks in at a time, the lobby is crowded and there is no where to stand.

The rooms have a nice layout but it's dirty before you even set foot in the door. Area rugs were never cleaned, the bathroom floor was never cleaned, windows had about an inch of dirt on the outside, they could not locate a spare remote for the bedroom tv so we could not use it, soap dispensers were empty repeatedly. And before you say that this was an isolated incident, I booked two rooms for another guest and we experienced virtually the same thing minus the tv remote. We asked for wash cloths and got a sponge, English was a challenge for the room attendants. We arranged for a car rental, they got the room numbers confused and delayed the process by over an hour. To cap it all off, I pulled the blind up to get some light in and the fixture came off the ceiling and provided a nice 1 inch cut and bruising. When maintenance came up they simply placed it back in the spot with no additional reinforcement, will happen to someone again very soon. We stayed for 4 day in a dirty poorly managed room. Would not suggest anyone stay here. Did not even try the food since everything else was crap. By the way, you can get an amazing steak right across the street at Houstons Grill at almost half the cost.

Save the money and headaches.

Room Tip: Try one King West, same accommodations but cleaner and better managed.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Yogi S
Dear Yogi S;

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your stay with us at the Cosmopolitan Hotel. We're sorry to hear that your room was not cleaned to our standards, and that the overall condition of the guestroom you stayed in was unacceptable. I am curious to know if you shared your overall concerns with one of the managers in the front office upon your departure from the hotel?

Again, thank you for your feedback, and should you wish to share any further details, I would be more than happy to hear from you.

Regards,

Cosmopolitan Hotel
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Stayed here over a year ago so this review is a tad overdue! Firstly the hotel is in the financial district of the city and easy to find. It is close to local amenities and the Eaton shopping center is only a short walk away. The reception staff are always ready to help with any inquiry that you may have. The room itself had a large comfortable bed and there was a small kitchenette where you can prepare food etc. If I am ever in Toronto again I definitely would not mind staying here again

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Mohammad K
Chad R, Manager at Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Mohammad K;