“Simple hotel with all amenities, great service and relaxed environment”

Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan
Ranked #46 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
London
“Simple hotel with all amenities, great service and relaxed environment”
Reviewed 20 June 2009

This was a great hotel right in the centre of Toronto and walking distance to most attractions. The staff were very friendly and made it easy to enjoy the holiday. We had the deluxe room (mid-range room) which was spacious with a fully equipped kitchenette (hob, coffee maker, sink, utensils, microwave), washer/dryer, iron board etc. They had free Zen mediation classes every evening. I always check into a 5 star hotel but this boutique hotel is great and met my expectations. It may not have the grand lobby or plush decor of 5 star hotels, but the rooms are immaculately clean, simple and have all the amenities that you wouldn't normally get in a 5 star hotel.

Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank TulsiLondon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
SE WI
Reviewed 8 June 2009

If you are looking for a boutique-y type, cosmopolitan, cool hotel just off of Younge Street in downtown Toronto that is not like your average Hilton/Hyatt/cookie cutter hotel, this one is for you! It has everything one could want-attentive staff, clean, rooms filled with Zen and calmness (i.e., when you check in, they ask you what kind of incense you want in your room during the turn down service in the evening ; they leave rocks in little pillows of their own on your pillow to promote certain energies-how cool is that?) , close to downtown, restaurants, pubs and all of major Toronto. Mention you are there for a special day (ours was a big wedding anniversary), and the staff will do all they can to make your stay special. St. Lawrence Market is just down the street (a fun indoor farmer's market ), as are great restaurants such as Mercato (great Italian), Spring Rolls (Oriental everything), and don't forget,"Shuck a Buck" at Big Daddy's on King Street. Our trip to Toronto was all that much more special because of the Cosmopolitan!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Zahava
Toronto
Reviewed 5 May 2009

Zen in the City. Staff were so friendly and nice. Helpful to all ends. A great location so close to all attractions, theatres and shopping. Shizen Spa was incredible. We will be back!

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank walworthToronto
thornhill
Reviewed 5 May 2009

Must stay here!! My hubby and I decided to leave our darling kids at home this time and have a weekend in the city- A romantic weekend I add. we had previously stayed at Horseshoe Resort and loved it as did our kids. We knew that the Cosmopolitan was also part of Skyline hotels chain so we tried it and really enjoyed. you can really feel a "Zen" energy and sense of calm when you enter the hotel ( hard to believe being located in downtown T.O but true) The rooms are great and very Boutique energy conscious (we liked that) The restaurant in the hotel called EIGHT was very good- Huge wine list and they have a somalier (we just learned about that) to tell you all about the wines and which wines go with which foods etc. We also had a treatment together at the spa, they had rose petals and a jacuzzi for us to enjoy with champagne and treats- we were really impressed. Great massage and spa. Definitely worth going and staying in this hotel and we would love to return one day soon.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank familyfun2009_9
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
Reviewed 28 April 2009

A visit to a Toronto hotel is usually a scary proposition for us - we never know what the service is going to be like.
Cosmo Toronto is everything we want in our hotel experience. It's within walking distance to many Toronto attractions. Service has improved and we are happy to say Toronto is catching up with other international cities when it comes to hotel accomodations and service.

The best parts - ultra comfy beds, the full kitchen, washer/dryer (just in case), great lake views from upper floors, roomy living rooms (in the premium suites), and that extra touch of delivered incense. For those who practice meditation and yoga, this is the perfect hotel for you.

There was confusion upon check-in whether we could get 2 rooms on the same floor as we were traveling in 2 small families, reservations told us one thing and the check-in desk told us another. We were supposed to have the comp breakfast but, again at check-in, were told it was not included in the room. Check-in cleaned up the mess and we got what was originally requested.

This is hotel is not for you if:
-you're looking for Ritz-hotel service
-you like the grandeur of big lobbies with giant chandeliers
-you're not willing to pay the high price for valet parking ($33/night, but there are cheaper off-site options)
-you don't want to pay the extra fee for internet connection
-you want a pool scene

We are coming back. We LOVED ourstay here. Next time we will try the spa.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank puilam
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 April 2009

I used to live in the same neighborhood that the Cosmopolitan is in, and watched as it was turned from what appeared to be a derelict building into the stylish spot that it is now.
When I'm back in Toronto, I automatically book into the Cosmo. Part of the reason is the area _ you're within walking distance of great bars and restaurants, transit, and shopping. The other reason is that the rooms are actually more like apartments, with sitting areas and separate bedrooms, small balconies and mini-kitchens. They're very comfortable and stylish, the rooms are extremely clean, bathrooms modern, and the hotel's common areas look good too.
I've only been to the restaurant for breakfast, and the room doesn't much do it for me during the day _ it has blood-red walls and can feel a bit oppressive first thing in the morning. Breakfast is served buffet-style, with fresh bagels, yogurt and fruit _ and the coffee is good, so what more could you want?
The one downside of the Cosmo is the service. It can be hit or miss. I've dealt with great front-desk folks, who were serious about customer happiness and went the extra mile to chat and make you feel welcome, and service where having to check in a guest felt like more of an irritant.
But the style of the hotel, size of the rooms, and decent rates are consistent, and in Toronto, it will continue to be my home away from home.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
4 Thank JQ1405
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 3 April 2009

This boutique hotel is very conveniently located in downtown Toronto. I booked the room through Travelocity for a better rate, then called to specify a smoking room. There are only 5 smoking rooms in this hotel (7th floor only) so make sure there's availability before you book. I believe all smoking rooms are deluxe level rooms.

My room wasn't ready when I first checked in (arrived at 11AM) but they stowed my luggage while I went exploring the neighborhood. When I returned at 1:30, my room was ready and my luggage brought upstairs. Having just come from the sister hotel, Pantages, I was a little disappointed when I saw no shop in the lobby, but the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

The first thing I noticed was the separate bedroom, rather than a studio. Preferable when having guests over for dinner. Unlike Pantages, this room has a mini-bar fridge, rather than full size, so get the mini-bar key when you check in if you think you'll need the extra space. The kitchen is nicely appointed, and there are loads of items for purchase if you so desire.

In addition to the fridge, there is a 4 burner stove, microwave, dishwasher, pots/pans, coffee maker, electric tea kettle, toaster and service for 4, including glasses and stemware. Plenty of cabinet space for your groceries. It's just a short cab ride away from the Metro supermarket. The freezer is narrow so keep that in mind when purchasing frozen items. They might not fit.

The beds are firm but very comfortable with Egyptian cotton linens. The bedroom has its own television so there's no fighting over the remote. Located under the nightstand, I was pleased to find an air cleaner. Never see those in hotel rooms.

The bathroom was smallish and contained a glass enclosed shower stall. I was a little confused why there was a faucet in the shower stall, but it occurred to me that because you need to step in completely to turn the water on, it allows you to correct the temperature so you're not drenched in cold water. A nice little consideration.

In the living area, there's a loveseat lounger and desk with chair, complete with CD player and relaxation CDs. Separating that from the kitchen area is a breakfast nook with lovely bamboo plants. Overall, it was a nice simplistic design that had "Zen" written all over it. Very soothing.

For added convenience, there is a washer/dryer combo hidden away in the closet.

The turndown service is a nice touch as well. A healing stone is left on your bed, along with incense. You choose the scent when you check in. I prefer Ocean.

Overall, I was quite pleased with the room and service. Bianca at the front desk was simply wonderful and I hope to see her again at Caribana this summer.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo