“fantastic!”

Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan Toronto
Ranked #45 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 6 March 2007

stayed here for 2 nights back in Feb and it was fantastic. quiet rooms beautiful decor great great staff and delicious high-end restaurant Doku 15. We saw some celebs ( But will respect their privacy and not disclose there names!) I can see why they would chose to stay here. It's cool, Zen and you have soooo much privacy and security with the swipe cards. You feel like you are in your own Condo the rooms have kitchens and it simulates a real home! grea hotel loved it and encourage any one to stay here as well.

Stayed: February 2007
3  Thank MIRVISH

Reviewed 20 February 2007

I'm accustomed to the boutique hotels in NYC, and at triple the price of the Cosmopolitan, they do not exceed it in any other way. This hotel is a great gem. I've never had a suite like this----with its own little washer and dryer, dishwasher, a little stove, two lcd screens, handsome wood floors-----it's like a small apartment, and done in thoroughly good taste. Some of the zen stuff is a little silly, the illuminated fake bamboo, for example, but this is a wonderful hotel which will definitely please. Breakfast is wonderful, a great buffet with smoked salmon, eggs, illy coffee, etc. At $199, I can't imagine staying anywhere else. Enjoy this great discover!

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled on business
4  Thank aglazen
Reviewed 4 January 2007

This was in a great location!!! The staff were only o.k. We had a missing remote control, a light in the bathroom that didn't work, a sink pipe that broke, broken blind, and no turn down service. When we checked in, we were asked to select a scent for nighttime turndown. We never received turndown service or a newspaper during our three night stay.

We called to have someone fix our tv and were told we were missing a remote. They replaced the remote. One of the bathroom lights broke and we called down. They said they would send someone up. No one came. On our way out, we stopped at the front desk. We were advised the maintenance man had left at 4, but the manager said she would go up and look at it. It still hasn't been fixed.

Housekeeping was there at 4:45 so we went to the bar to have a drink. They said they opened at 5 and we would have to wait as they couldn't serve us early. We looked into reservations at the restaurant. We were told that they would call to let us know and no one called. This could be the fact that the restaurant and the hotel are owned separately and no one really cares about the other.

We filled out a specific breakfast sheet stating simplicity of plain bagel, coffee, tea, and yogurt. We were given three seeded bages.

This is a very nice hotel, amenities, and location. However, due to the average service, I would not return.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jenn50000
Reviewed 11 December 2006

What they got right:
This hotel is centrally located in Toronto but is on a side street so there is almost no street noise.

The staff was exquisitely polite and helpful. I felt like my needs were proactively met. Quite elegant service without seeming over eager.

The suites are small apartments with a living room, small kitchen, bathroom, and separate bedroom. The decor is minimalist zen with hardwood floors, bowl sink in the bathroom, rain-style showerhead, a flatscreen TV in the bedroom and the living room area, bamboo in vases and a little mini fountain.

Additional touches include a newspaper delivered every morning and little polished stones placed on your bed every night with a note that tells the "healing powers" of each stone. The room suites definitely create a scene of relaxation and serenity.

My queen size japanese-style bed had four high quality pillows and was extremely comfortable.

The towels were large and nice and the room comes with two bathrobes.

WiFi is fast and stable and easy to connect to.

The bar and restaurant downstairs is very nice.

What they didn't get quite right:
This boutique hotel goes over the top to create this theme of serenity, but there are some basics that they missed.

Because these are suites, each room is pretty small. There is no place anywhere to put your suitcase. There is a hallway closet and some shelving in the bedroom. But the shelving is small. I had to put my suitcase on the barstool-chairs in the living/kitchen area.

There are blinds instead of black-out curtains in the bedroom. While these are attractive, there was still light, and quite a bit of it, coming into my bedroom.

The bathroom was pretty, but a disappointment. There is no counter space to put your toiletries. The water pressure in the shower was low and unsatisfying. And there is no bathtub. At least not in my sweet. There was more mildew in the grout than I was comfortable with.

The gym is too small. One elyptical machine and One treadmill. The lighting in the gym was also too intensely bright.

Overall, it was the hotel's services that made it great. The people behind the desk made reservations for my team at great restaurants, and called a towncar for me when I checked out without my having to ask. But the whole zen thing...you have to do as well as tell.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled on business
5  Thank seattletoamsterdam
Reviewed 30 October 2006

I had the pleasure of staying at this designer hotel when in Toronto attending a conference at the convention centre. What a gem!!!
My suite was fantastic. Loved the ensuite kitchen, the modern and very stylish bathroom (which my wife wants me to replicate back here in Calgary), the wonderful bedding and the cool plasma TV.
Restaurant on the property was fantastic. Recommend sitting at the bar and chatting with the friendly staff. They had some great suggestions for menu items to sample.
Didn't get a chance to try out the spa due to my schedule but willo definitely do so on a return visit with my wife for a nice romantic getaway.
Have been recommending this place to everyone.
Very cool, hip hotel. Definitely worth the price.
Hotel is located within walking distance of Hockey Hall of Fame, Eaton Centre, Union Station and the Toronto Convention Centre. Good restaurants nearby but recommend hanging out on property in their very cool Japanese restaurant. Who knows, you might run into some cool celebs.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled on business
3  Thank DesignerGuy
Reviewed 16 October 2006

My boyfriend and I enjoyed this boutique hotel. The rooms are small, but clean and cozy. The modern decor and wood floors are a nice change. Their "lifestyle specialists" were very helpful with dining recommendations and directions. The Doku bar has a great atmosphere. And the Shizen spa is very relaxing. We would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
3  Thank traveltx
Reviewed 30 September 2006

Stayed at the Cosmopolitan for one night in May/06. Attended a concert and decided to make it a special night. We live in the GTA and work in Toronto, so we're familiar with most of the hotels in the downtown Toronto area. I heard about the Cosmo when it made the Conde Nast list. We chose it ofor the night for a number of reasons:

1. Location - Yonge & King, can't get much more "downtown", 10 minute walk to the ACC and pretty much anything else in downtown T.O.

2. Price - The hotel is still very new and was offering very attractive introductory rates. I chose a package that included one night in deluxe one bedroom suite, a bottle of wine, breakfast for 2, and 10% off spa services. All this for about half of what we would have paid for a traditional deluxe hotel in T.O (e.g. Royal York, King Eddie, etc.)

3. Boutique styling - I've stayed at traditional hotels and boutique hotels and both are nice. However, I usually prefer the clean and modern style offered in boutique hotels.

My husband checked in before I arrived because he was already downtown, but apparantly, it all went smoothly even though it was in my name. We had also called to confirm the night before and everything was ok then as well (I made the reservation via their web site).
The room was a 1 bedroom suite with an enclosed bedroom (quite small, but very cozy), sitting area, fully equipped kitchen, spa bathroom, closet). It was furnished and decorated just like shown on the website - no disappointments. The bed was incredibly comfortable. The bedroom also had an air purifier which was very nice...we now want one for our own bedroom. One flat panel tv in the sitting room, one in the bedroom. Everything was *very* clean. Lots of other nice touches...two robes, washer/dryer in closet, nice toiletries, turndown service, etc.
Breakfast the next morning was in the restaurant/bar off the lobby. It was a very nice continental breakfast...pretty much anything you would want to see at a continental breakfast and more. All fresh, top quality items - muffins, pastries, cheeses, meets, fresh breads, cereals, fresh juices, coffees, teas. There is an attendant behind the bar who replenishes the items and offers to make you espressso drinks. There appeared to be a lot of business travellers at breakfast - we were the only couple when we were there. Staff was very polite and professional.

Just a couple of very minor complaints...
The husband was told that they would bring the included bottle of wine to the room when he called for it. (He wanted to wait and see what I wanted). It was brought up promptly, but it wasn't cold (white wine) so we couldn't drink it right away. So, we put it in the fridge for later if we wanted it after the concert. Would have been to have it already chilled.
The zen waterfall in the room wasn't working...or we couldn't figure out how to turn it on. Not a big deal for us.
We also couldn't get the tv in the bedroom to work. Also, not a big deal for us. If either of those really were important to us, we would have called the front desk and I'm sure they would have sent somebody up promptly. I mentioned it to the front desk on the way out so they could fix it for the next guest, and they apologized profusely.
Also, not much of a view, even though I think I selected room with view on the web site. But no matter....as we both are quite familiar with the city and see it from our offices often.

Can't say anything about the bar/restaurant because we didn't eat there, but it was very busy when we passed by on a friday night... We also didn't get a chance to try out the spa because unfortunately, they didn't have any times available for the next morning. Didn't have time to check out any of the other ammenities the hotel offered.

I would definitely recommend the Cosmopolitan toronto for business travellers, tourists, and couples seeking a quiet and romantic getaway. Especially convenient for anyone in Toronto for an extended stay.

4  Thank jul2006