“Excellent location, friendly staff, clean comfortable room!”

One King West Hotel & Residence
Ranked #27 of 134 Hotels in Toronto
“Excellent location, friendly staff, clean comfortable room!”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

I stayed at One King for 3 weeks with work whilst visiting a lab in Toronto, and was really pleased with my choice of hotel.

Room 1:
When I first arrived the staff were very friendly at check in and allocated a room but promised I would be moved in a few days once a better room became available since the room had no view. The hotel was in the middle of refurbishment and I believe not many of the refurbished rooms had a washer dryer at that time (they were waiting on a delivery) which was part of the package I had booked and the room was the only available one with a washer dryer. This first room, although understandably a bit outdated as it hadn't been refurbished yet, was really big, very clean and comfortable with a huge bed that was really comfy and there was plenty of storage. I was however really disappointed with the lack of view (although in fairness I had been made aware of this) as the window looked out into the side of the building, and I was so glad to be moving in a few days as not just the lack of view, but the lack of daylight was slightly disorientating as waking up in the night/morning I couldn't tell when it was as it was always dark, and had no idea what the weather was like. Had I stayed in this room the whole time I think this would be a different review.

Room 2:
A few days later moved to another room which had daylight and was nice and big with a huge bed again, but unfortunately had to ask to move yet again as there was a strange sort of stale smell in the room which 2 people could both smell (normally I would probably have just accepted it but when staying there for such a length of time and for the majority was on my own so I wanted to be happy in the room as I spent a lot of time there at night doing work and relaxing). Again the staff were really helpful and moved us again no bother. I was so pleased to move to the next room, and that I sacrificed the washer dryer for a nicer room (it was one of the newer ones that was waiting for a washer dryer). The room was on the 38th floor and spanned the whole width of the building meaning the windows looked along King St on one side, up Yonge St from another window and out to the water from the other side. It had really great views and an absolutely lovely sunrise in the morning. The room was also very clean and had been refurbished to a good standard with new TVs and sofa. I think there was also new cabinets in the kitchen although these unfortunately already had scratches all over them, although maybe these were the existing ones. One thing I felt would improve the refurbished look was an update of the bath/shower, even a different shower curtain would have made a difference.

Fitness centre:
There was a fitness centre on level 17 with saunas, two pools and a small gym. The pools weren't proper swimming pools but instead small jet pools but were a nice addition as I didn't even realise there was anything other than a gym! The gym was fairly small but seemed to have enough equipment as didn't seem to be very busy, later on when I went anyway. Equipment included two treadmills, two crosstrainers (which you could watch TV from), a rowing machine and weights, mats etc. There was also good views from the gym and a seating area outside with people sitting having drinks on the rooftop. Personally I found that a little off putting while in the gym but maybe that's just me! And I forgot about it after a while when tired!

Location:
The location was excellent with a short walk up to Yonge and Dundas Square and the Eaton Centre was close by for shopping. There are plenty of places to eat nearby once you find the right area and there was a Metro for groceries around a 10 minute walk away. The harbourfront and CN tower were also only a 15 minute walk away and Union Station was just around the corner. The location really was so handy for everything and being so central made my trip a lot better and I felt very safe walking around near the hotel.

Staff:
The staff were always very friendly and helpful, I could not have faulted the service at all. Justin at the Concierge desk was great when asked him about trips and taxis etc and even remembered us later on and asked how the trip was.

Overall:
Amazing location, clean and comfortable room with plenty space and great views of the city and water from the second room. A few small things I might change but will all be even better once refurbishment finished. Overall a great hotel and I would recommend staying here if visiting Toronto.

Room Tip: Great views of the city in several directions from the rooms that span the width of the building
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Muscat, Oman
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Ok, I know this is my fault but the parking is out of control in Toronto and the hotel does not have very much parking (a few spots). It can easily double your costs.

The hotel itself is great and a great location and every thing was great and easy. If you took a train to TO you could easily stay at the hotel and cab it from the hotel. Service was also great.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Stayed August 24-25. Booked through a third party (hotels.com). We chose this hotel based on how stylish the rooms looked and excellent location. Upon arrival, the Valet suggested a great parking structure a block over that offered overnight parking for $7.50. That was greatly appreciated since parking in Toronto can get very pricey. Once we checked in we were directed to the 10th floor for our room. Ugh! It felt like we were in a coffin. It was a very large suite but felt completely closed off from the city. No natural light and the window had a view of fake clouds atop an alley way. I felt claustrophobic. The furniture looked like a hodge podge of stuff that didn't work in the other rooms. In the sitting area, there was a single arm chair with an over-sized coffee table meant for a large sofa. The TVs were very outdated. Nonetheless, I couldn't take the lack of sunlight. I called down to the front desk and the young lady at reception was kind enough to move us to the 37th floor and also had our keys brought up to the room so we wouldn't be troubled to the front desk again. Our next room, was a corner suite with lots of sunlight and great views of the city, including the CN Tower. Everything was updated and flowed well. The bed was comfy and everything you would need was stocked in the kitchenette. My gripe with this room was the A/C. No matter how low we set the temp. it never cooled below 70 degrees. It made for a long night. Also, the wifi is not free unless you go down to the lobby. That was particularly annoying when trying to plan our day. What hotel still charges for wifi??

Room Tip: Request a room above the 10th floor if you're looking for the updated rooms.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Angela A
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Due to a GPS input error, we arrived at One King Street West close to midnight. We were greeted warmly, bags were handled efficiently and the studio suite with balcony that we had fervently requested, but was not guaranteed was ready for us. Again, fortunately, valet parking was available and – tho not inexpensive at $40 a night – was convenient, competent and well in line with big city prices. The studio suite was modern, attractive and well-appointed. (Another big plus was the availability of abundant both standard and USB plugs for electronic devices saving me from crawling about to find available outlets to plug in the phones, cameras and i-pads that are these days a necessity for ‘plugged-in’ travelers. No hard choices like unplugging the lamp or alarm clock to power up portable devices.) Internet access was free and wireless speedy enough to get what had to be done done.
In the end, a building, even one with attractive facilities, needs one additional ingredient before it can rightfully be called a hotel: hospitable people working there. One King West earns five stars in my book for hospitable staff. Everyone with whom we came in contact from General Manager Steve O’Brien, who speedily answer e-mail and helped us obtained the desired studio suite with a balcony; front desk manager McDonald, who left a hand-written welcome note and a bottle of champagne to celebrate Da Wife’s birthday; front desk and concierge…all seemed willing and happy to walk the extra mile or kilometer for guest satisfaction.
Tho the hotel’s extensive ‘make-over’ is not yet complete and a bit of clutter is inevitable, once in our digs, we heard no renovation-connected noise.
Great stay and good value for the money.

Room Tip: If you can live without a balcony (we can't), suites on the higher floors provide great views of...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 26 August 2014

The one king west had its big moments and will probably have more when the renovation is complete.
For now, travellers will have to accept that it's location, staff support, and the price they pay for the accommodation will be enough reasons to stay in it.
The hotel is average, clean, and nice but waiting for an elevator is a test of your patience and the differences between the refurbished rooms and the ones that are not is the difference of day and night

Room Tip: Pick the upper rooms as they present a great view of the city.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We booked a room at this hotel using hotwire and got a great rate. I purposely asked for a room on the higher floor, along with a crib. The staff I spoke to on the phone were not very friendly, but in the end we were given a beautiful hotel room on the 15th floor. The room was large, tastefully decorated, and very quiet. The bed was very comfortable and even the toiletries were nice. No complaints at all about the room.

My husband arrived later in the day by car and I called downstairs to ask about parking. The staff person from the parking department said there was parking available and the rate is $40. I asked if the rate covered 24 hours and he said yes.

The next morning we discovered the parking rate only allowed us to park until 11 AM. I called the front desk and asked the person I spoke to to recommend to the parking attendants that they be more clear about their policy. She repeated the hotel's policy to me many times before she said she would pass on that message. No apology was offered and definitely no effort was made to allow us to park any longer than 11 AM.

So the hotel room was lovely, but the staff were not friendly or even remotely understanding when we felt misled.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sara C
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I booked a premium one bedroom suite for one night this past weekend and it was beautiful. We used it as the meeting point for my friends to begin our night out and it was spacious enough for 10 ladies to have a few drinks before heading out. There's a full kitchenette with an empty mini fridge, a dishwasher, sink, stovetop, microwave and a couple of utensils and cups. There's also a washing machine for longer stays to do laundry. The corner view was amazing - especially at night! Loved how the bedroom faces one way, the bathroom another, and the living space in between gives you a 180 view. The bathroom was gorgeous with a jacuzzi tub, although we didn't use it - except for an ice bucket challenge. You can't beat this location. It's walking distance to everything you might need or anywhere you might be going. Yes, the elevators are slow, and yes the bathroom towels aren't plush - which is why I'm only rating them 4 stars - but other than that the staff are friendly and helpful, and I had a really positive experience. It is a little pricey but I would definitely come back for another special occasion.

Room Tip: Splurge for a premium one bedroom suite and request a high floor. The city lights at night and the s...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends