“No frills, good price and nice hosts”

Islington B&B House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Islington B&B House
Ranked #42 of 116 Toronto B&B and Inns
Illinois
“No frills, good price and nice hosts”
Reviewed 24 May 2009

I have stayed there during my trips to Toronto since 2007. I returned last year, and I am going back this year? I am sorry the reviewer below did not have the great time he expected. These are the strong points for me:

1. It is located in one of the very finest parts of Toronto, in Islington, a residential area.
2. The rooms facing the streets can be noisy. Ask for a room facing the yard. I've had both rooms, and the one facing the back is extremely quiet, even with the street up front. For more privacy, they have a bedroom with private bath in the basement as well.
3. Breakfast is very nice, and plentiful. I have never had any problems with it.
4. Downtown Toronto is not walking distance, but traveling south on Islington Ave., where the B&B is, you will get to the highway in about 90 seconds, and you get to Toronto from there (depending on traffic) within 15-20 minutes. Find parking by lakeshore, and you can get good deals for the day ($10-$20 for the entire day) if you get there by 10. Try a day on Toronto Islands and its beautiful beaches. $6 RT for a nice day of fun...and sunbathing. They offer fine sandy beaches (incl. a clothing-optional beach) that are free. No cars are allowed on the islands, except for services, and everything is done on foot or by bike. Check it out!
5. Islington has one of the best italian restaurants I have ever been to. It's moderately priced, and a full meal can set you back about $15-20. Fully worth it! Tr the gnocchi and blue cheese sauce! Yum!
6. The rooms are cheap ($60, incl. breakfast). I don't know many other places where you can get decent accommodations in a safe area with the proximity of downtown.
7. YOU decide on when you want to have breakfast. They are quite accommodating. Overall, you get a potato-based component, toast, jam, butter, fresh fruit, pancakes, sausage, eggs, Marie's chocolate cake (healthy version prepared by Marie, the nurse, herself). It is pretty diverse. So far, I have stayed at 7 different B&Bs in Canada, and this one while not the fanciest, is one the one of the most filling and best I have had...everytime.

Comfort-wise, it's OK. The rooms are fairly small, and most rooms share a bathroom, which is not unusual for B&Bs. I can definitely recommend this B&B. Joey and Marie are extremely nice. Also, having lived there forever, they know a lot about the area, so you get great tips as to what to see without the hassle of wondering if there's something in it for them. Also, they speak, English, Portuguese, French and Spanish fluently, which helps their international clientele.

Joey is very helpful, and hooked me up when I had car trouble, and they fixed the problem very quickly, and did not charge me for part of the service because of the referral. I have always had an excellent experience. I gave an overall "very good" rating because it is a no frill accommodation, and to remain more objective for the average traveler used to fancier quarters. Little touches that make a stay in a foreign country/city more worry-free. Peace of mind is important to me. If it is to you too, this may definitely be a great option.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled solo

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
North Somerset
Reviewed 9 November 2008

I stayed at the Islington B&B for 3 nights at the end of October 2008 and found that everything matched the descriptions on the B&B's website, save that it is more steps from Islington subway station than might be supposed, so takes 10 to 15 mins to walk. Instead, take a 37 bus from the first bay at the station and get off at the stop right outside the B&B - just before the intersection of Islington Avenue with Orrell Avenue.The accommodation is spread over three adjacent houses. Although situated on a main road I did not find it noisy, but then I had a room at the back. My room was adequate in size, clean and furnished in B&B style. The bed was very comfortable. I was given the use of a kitchen, but in the event hardly needed it as in the evenings I was still eating my left-overs from breakfast. The breakfast is indeed spectacular and will see you through to mid-afternoon. I note that the previous reviewer was surprised to find all his food on the same plate; I first encountered this Canadian fashion some years ago in BC, when I found my scrambled egg sharing a plate with fruit salad. Once you overcome the surprise, the food is all excellent in quality and preparation. Marie, the hostess, is very kind and hospitable and makes her guests feel very much at home.

Finally, this B&B is excellent value: a comfortable bed and more breakfast than you can eat, all for $60. You will pay twice that just for a room in a central Toronto hotel, and a reasonable breakfast will probably set you back at least $12-$14 in addition. The subway fare from the centre is only $2.75 each way and includes the bus (if you get a transfer). The journey takes about 30 mins.

• Liked — The breakfast and the hospitality shown by the hostess.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank Tickenhamite
robfQld
Reviewed 7 October 2005

Located on noisy road and thin walls transmitting noise from other guests as well. Small rooms.

A good distance from city centre.

Advertised sumptuous breakfast was a pile of assorted food dumped on a plate. But worse was that we both got food poisoning from the food.

Against the run of the great B&Bs we have stayed in.

35 Thank robfQld
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 March 2004

Everyone must experience the hospitality extended by the owners of Islington B&B...you will be very hard-pressed to find accommodations that could compare. My husband & I have stayed here several times in the past three years..usually on business, but have made a point of going there just to be pampered for a weekend! Maria & Joey continually surpass any expectation we could have...A++for Cleanliness, A++for Comfort, A++for Attention to personal details and FINALLY! A+++++++ For the most amazing breakfast you could ever imagine!! Their rates are most reasonable and their reputation is noted in the highest regard. We have travelled the world and with no hesitation would recommend Islington B&B.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Toronto
Old Mill Toronto
North York
Smile Back Bed and Breakfast
Smile Back Bed and Breakfast
#71 of 116 in Toronto

Been to Islington B&B House? Share your experiences!