I have stayed there during my trips to Toronto since 2007. I returned last year, and I am going back this year? I am sorry the reviewer below did not have the great time he expected. These are the strong points for me:
1. It is located in one of the very finest parts of Toronto, in Islington, a residential area.
2. The rooms facing the streets can be noisy. Ask for a room facing the yard. I've had both rooms, and the one facing the back is extremely quiet, even with the street up front. For more privacy, they have a bedroom with private bath in the basement as well.
3. Breakfast is very nice, and plentiful. I have never had any problems with it.
4. Downtown Toronto is not walking distance, but traveling south on Islington Ave., where the B&B is, you will get to the highway in about 90 seconds, and you get to Toronto from there (depending on traffic) within 15-20 minutes. Find parking by lakeshore, and you can get good deals for the day ($10-$20 for the entire day) if you get there by 10. Try a day on Toronto Islands and its beautiful beaches. $6 RT for a nice day of fun...and sunbathing. They offer fine sandy beaches (incl. a clothing-optional beach) that are free. No cars are allowed on the islands, except for services, and everything is done on foot or by bike. Check it out!
5. Islington has one of the best italian restaurants I have ever been to. It's moderately priced, and a full meal can set you back about $15-20. Fully worth it! Tr the gnocchi and blue cheese sauce! Yum!
6. The rooms are cheap ($60, incl. breakfast). I don't know many other places where you can get decent accommodations in a safe area with the proximity of downtown.
7. YOU decide on when you want to have breakfast. They are quite accommodating. Overall, you get a potato-based component, toast, jam, butter, fresh fruit, pancakes, sausage, eggs, Marie's chocolate cake (healthy version prepared by Marie, the nurse, herself). It is pretty diverse. So far, I have stayed at 7 different B&Bs in Canada, and this one while not the fanciest, is one the one of the most filling and best I have had...everytime.
Comfort-wise, it's OK. The rooms are fairly small, and most rooms share a bathroom, which is not unusual for B&Bs. I can definitely recommend this B&B. Joey and Marie are extremely nice. Also, having lived there forever, they know a lot about the area, so you get great tips as to what to see without the hassle of wondering if there's something in it for them. Also, they speak, English, Portuguese, French and Spanish fluently, which helps their international clientele.
Joey is very helpful, and hooked me up when I had car trouble, and they fixed the problem very quickly, and did not charge me for part of the service because of the referral. I have always had an excellent experience. I gave an overall "very good" rating because it is a no frill accommodation, and to remain more objective for the average traveler used to fancier quarters. Little touches that make a stay in a foreign country/city more worry-free. Peace of mind is important to me. If it is to you too, this may definitely be a great option.