“Fun, Funky, historic and romantic was the Gladstone Hotel”
Review of Gladstone Hotel

Gladstone Hotel
Ranked #25 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We loved this hotel! My husband and jetted off to Toronto after a week of festivities for a relative's wedding in Michigan. The Gladstone is in a gentrifying area of Queens Street in Toronto. The hotel boasts artistically designed rooms, an art gallery on every floor and a cool, hip, funky vibe. It delivered on all counts. Here is what we loved: The elevator, the cleanliness of the rooms, the beds (you melted into them!), the complimentary wine (through trip advisor), the morning coffee on each floor lobby, the food in the restaurant, the bar with a great draft beer and wine selection, the guest blues musician, the ability to buy transit passes at the front desk, etc, etc.

The staff was wonderful! A special shout out to the night bartender (what was his name??), Erica who served us breakfast and then turned around and worked the nightshift the following night in the bar, the night front desk "Robs"; all the staff gave excellent service the WHOLE time.

We ate and drank in the hotel restaurant and bar. We had dinner the first night we arrived. I had this lovely calamari and scallop dish while my husband had the vegetarian burger. Both were delicious! It was also half price bottle of wine night and the bartender was really knowledgeable so it made the evening very pleasant. We also ate breakfast at the hotel the next morning, I had the quiche and my husband had the homemade granola with honey and a yogurt soup, yum. You may also want to try Mabel's bakery just a couple of doors down - amazing European baked goods!

Somethings to be aware of...if there is a special function or you face Queen Street there will be noise. We slept right through it but if you are sensitive to noise be aware. There are fabulous restaurants up and down Queen Street - explore. The neighborhood is mixed. We loved the diversity but if you want something more main stream this may not be the place for you.

Keep up the good work Gladstone. We hope to be back soon!!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the larger room! Look at the rooms on the website. Parking is $25 in the hotel s...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Gladstone Hotel

Reviewed 7 October 2013

We spent the night recently after a wine tasting event. The hotel is really fun, nicely updated, funky decorations and friendly people. The 1907 cable elevator was a blast.
The hotel's Café is a great place for a drink and a bite to eat.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We stayed at the Gladstone for a weekend in September. We wanted to stay in the area and our options were limited. The Gladstone surpassed our expectations and we would return in a heartbeat! Our room was rather small but fabulous bed and linens. It was immaculate with loads of character.
We will definitely return and recommend.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Re-Fresh room which was West facing and reasonably quiet. Beautiful hard wood floor...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We stayed one night at the Gladstone in the Canadiana Room. We enjoyed the decor, kind of felt like we were at a cottage in the city. The bed was very comfortable although low to the ground. The air conditioner fan was quit loud so we kept it on to drown out the street noise. The staff were extremely helpful. We were out most of the time we were here but all in all for the money it was a great place to stay. Also there is a Whole Foods grocery store right behind the hotel if you need anything which in downtown Toronto is a real convenience. We were here on a Monday night so there wasn't too much going on but the drake Hotel was lively for a couple of drinks. We went to Momofuku for dinner but don't waste your time. We had been to the Noodle bar in NYC and we loved it but somehow something was lost in translation here in Toronto.

Room Tip: North facing rooms on on the Main Street
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Despite the fact that I did not stay at this particular hotel during my stay in Toronto, I have to say that it was one of the places that made all the difference in my trip. Not only is this an architectural gem, for more than the curious fact of having the oldest running cable elevator in the city, but because of the two gentlemen that were amazingly considerate, neighborly, obliging, cordial, friendly (the list could go on) that received me when I managed to get to the hotel. I was particularly interested in going as a result of a newspaper article that had been released on the Caribbean Island local paper were I live, which listed it as a must see art gallery. The problem was I had arrived a little late to see the galleries. But it was the two attending at the front desk on the evening of September the 16th that enabled me to write this for everyone to experience the art, creativity, hospitality and simply outstanding service that I experienced. Not only because one of them opened the gallery for me and walked me through it but because they did it with the same dedication this place provides to local artists and forward thinking combination of utility and culture in one building.
Thank you again. And I will definitely stay here the next and every time I visit Toronto

Room Tip: look at the album they have at the front desk and let it pick you
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 September 2013

This is a hotel to fall in love with. Awesomely hip, diverse neighborhood that appears to be "on the rise." Beautiful art, green roof. The hotel's venues--cafe and art bar--are perpetually full of "hip" folks and feature quality live music. Very friendly staff. My one complaint: my room on the 3rd floor facing Queens Street West, directly facing the atmospheric, movie diner, Gladstone Cafe across the street, was loud beyond belief. I lived in New York and New Orleans on busy streets and next to a street car barn, but the noise here takes the cake and I'm NOT a light sleeper. I think they seriously need better windows. I would come back for sure and recommend it, no doubt. I would just book a room that does not face Queens Street West. Last note, this is not a fancy place, just an artfully thought-out one.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face noisy Queen Street West (the front of the building).
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Really enjoyed the art and ethos of this hotel. This hotel genuinely feels a part of its community. The only downsides are that the rooms can be a little small and it is not in the centre of Toronto. It is a great hotel though and I wish it well.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple