“Gladstone Hotel - An Artistic Stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gladstone Hotel

Gladstone Hotel
Ranked #26 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Brooklyn Center, Minnesota
“Gladstone Hotel - An Artistic Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

I had a night to spend in Toronto while I was in the area for a friend's wedding, so I went online searching for a place to stay. I didn't want to board up in a cookie cutter hotel, I wanted a bit of an experience.. and I got one. When I went to the site and found that each of the rooms is uniquely decorated by various artists, I knew I had to give it a go. I loved the fact that you got to "tour" each of the rooms online, and then pick the one you wanted (well.. of the rooms that were still available, that is. This old hotel was beautiful on the inside and out (I'm a sucker for older architecture and I got what I wanted in a city full of gleaming glass skyscrapers). I was a bit worried about having to haul my suitcase up 4 flights of stairs, but not to worry! They had a 100+ year old, gorgeous elevator to bring me up. On the way up/down I peered into the art gallery on the 2nd floor, which is just a great use of space. The floor with the rooms was open.. not a maze of hallways, but more of a gallery feeling again, with pieces hung on all of the walls. When I stepped into my room, I was taken aback a little... I had the "Red Room" and it was... red! You don't get the full feel of just how all encompassing the red-ness was until you were in it. The lampshades were even red-ish, so the light in the room itself was dim. I loved the velvety bedspread and the felted butterflies in shadowboxes hanging on the walls. Now, for the more negative parts:
The bathroom was tiny.. and that's putting it mildly. Just a stand-up shower stall that I wasn't sure I was going to make it in or out of.. but it served it's purpose.
Then there was the noise. I got into my room at around 3:30PM on a Friday afternoon and all I could hear was the road noise from the street outside. Luckily, it was on a corner, so there weren't a TON of people walking by, but when they did, you could hear everything. There are train tracks near by as well, so you heard plenty of clanging. But, I was tired enough from the travel that day that I was able to nap through it. When I got back to the room around 11PM, the noise was much less.. but there was still the consistent train sounds, which, in the end, can be kind of soothing.
Lastly, the parking. There was no good place to pull up to register, so I circled the block a million times before finding a parking spot. When I registered, I got my parking slip for one of the few spots they have available across the street in a cafe's lot. So, if you're bringing a car, make SURE you reserve your spot when you reserve your room. But, what do you get when your "reserved" spots are just mingled in with general parking of a cafe's lot? You get people taking your space. And when I told the front desk at the hotel, they seemed not to care much and that they "couldn't do anything" about it. (Umm.. isn't towing an option?) Luckily I stole someone else's hotel spot, which they said would be ok, but I wasn't too jazzed about that experience.
So.. all in all.. the Gladstone is a beautiful hotel that has the market of uniqueness cornered for Toronto, which outweighed some of the minor downsides.

Room Tip: Tour each room via the website... but just remember, you might not get the one you really want if so...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

The Gladstone Hotel was recommended to me by a number of colleagues who all stay here as part of a large business trip. It surpassed any expectations I had!

Where to start?! We had to ship a large amount of freight from overseas to the Gladstone, no problem it was all waiting in our rooms for us arriving. We also asked if we could store some while we went to a couple of nearby cities before returning. Again, no problem. Any reasonable request was met with the same relaxed helpful approach.

Arrival was fine, getting checked in easily and a room being available before check in time. The rooms (I stayed in two different ones over 3 stays) were quirky and interesting (karaoke room anyone?!) but overall very comfortable. The maids were always on hand if you needed anything during the day and were friendly and approachable.

I ate in the cafe downstairs for breakfast and dinner a few times and the food was pretty good. Not a massive range but enough to satisfy all but the most picky. The breakfasts in particular are good ranging from pancakes with fruit to a full cooked breakfast as well as the option of a cup of breakfast tea, which for the Scottish traveller is a must. The bar of the hotel is pretty good too, well stocked and home to Friday and Saturday night Karaoke, which might not be to everyone's tastes but we enjoyed it (though didn't actually partake).

The staff are truly wonderful. From Alex the manager, to Rob, Ricardo and Brendan on the reception desk, as well as Abbie in the cafe as well as everyone else who's names I didn't get or catch. They've certainly made our trip much easier than it would have been staying in a chain hotel or somewhere downtown. It's worth staying here, though it's a little further from the city. The neighbourhood is great with a lot of great bars and restaurants in the area.

We'll all be back next year!

Room Tip: Check out the rooms online as each one is different, and ask for the one you want.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We snuck to this boutique hotel for a quick couples getaway and loved it. The charm, art on every floor and uniquely designed rooms makes this place stand out against the sterile hotel environments. Love the character, charm and that the staff are always on hand to offer a smile, a helping hand or share some stories about the area and the hotel.

We stayed in the Combo Moderna and the bed was absolutely luxurious. The bathrooms are small but even my pregnant belly fit in the shower stall, so no complains. WiFi throughout the hotel which is great.

Loved their website which showed each of the rooms in detail and gave a quick overview of the artists.

Stellar cocktails at the Cafe! We'd be back but mind you I wouldn't come here with my toddler as I'd be too stressed out about her touching the artwork adorning the various spaces. That said the space is so casual and laid back that I don't see anyone saying anything about kids being around.

The hotel is a popular spot for art shows and events - we got complimentary access to the show happening the night we were there! Great perk!

Room Tip: check the website to find the perfect room for you! Each room is very different!
1 Thank YasHKinZ
Jamaica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

Stayed here for one night in the 'red room'. Loved the art work scattered throughout the hotel. Staff were friendly and helpful. The streetcars rumbling along Queen street all night did disturb my sleep but fortunately the climate control system is quite loud and so helped to drown out most of the street noise. Toiletries were good quality and the tablet for use in the room is a nice touch. At 56 I felt a little old to be staying here but I enjoyed my stay nonetheless. I did not eat in the hotel so cannot comment on the food. I was on my own and chose to eat at The Gladstone Cafe across the road which is inexpensive. The ATM in the lobby did not accept my debit card but the RBC across the road did and the service charge was less.

Room Tip: Chose a room away from Queen street if possible
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
littleton, colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

We loved this hotel! My husband and jetted off to Toronto after a week of festivities for a relative's wedding in Michigan. The Gladstone is in a gentrifying area of Queens Street in Toronto. The hotel boasts artistically designed rooms, an art gallery on every floor and a cool, hip, funky vibe. It delivered on all counts. Here is what we loved: The elevator, the cleanliness of the rooms, the beds (you melted into them!), the complimentary wine (through trip advisor), the morning coffee on each floor lobby, the food in the restaurant, the bar with a great draft beer and wine selection, the guest blues musician, the ability to buy transit passes at the front desk, etc, etc.

The staff was wonderful! A special shout out to the night bartender (what was his name??), Erica who served us breakfast and then turned around and worked the nightshift the following night in the bar, the night front desk "Robs"; all the staff gave excellent service the WHOLE time.

We ate and drank in the hotel restaurant and bar. We had dinner the first night we arrived. I had this lovely calamari and scallop dish while my husband had the vegetarian burger. Both were delicious! It was also half price bottle of wine night and the bartender was really knowledgeable so it made the evening very pleasant. We also ate breakfast at the hotel the next morning, I had the quiche and my husband had the homemade granola with honey and a yogurt soup, yum. You may also want to try Mabel's bakery just a couple of doors down - amazing European baked goods!

Somethings to be aware of...if there is a special function or you face Queen Street there will be noise. We slept right through it but if you are sensitive to noise be aware. There are fabulous restaurants up and down Queen Street - explore. The neighborhood is mixed. We loved the diversity but if you want something more main stream this may not be the place for you.

Keep up the good work Gladstone. We hope to be back soon!!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the larger room! Look at the rooms on the website. Parking is $25 in the hotel s...
Oakville, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

We spent the night recently after a wine tasting event. The hotel is really fun, nicely updated, funky decorations and friendly people. The 1907 cable elevator was a blast.
The hotel's Café is a great place for a drink and a bite to eat.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

We stayed at the Gladstone for a weekend in September. We wanted to stay in the area and our options were limited. The Gladstone surpassed our expectations and we would return in a heartbeat! Our room was rather small but fabulous bed and linens. It was immaculate with loads of character.
We will definitely return and recommend.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Re-Fresh room which was West facing and reasonably quiet. Beautiful hard wood floor...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family