“not worth the price”
Review of Gladstone Hotel

Gladstone Hotel
Ranked #16 of 135 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Overall not a very good experience despite expectations based on reviews on tripadvisor. Reservation was totally wrong by the time I arrived, the price was misquoted, number of days was wrong, and the room type was incorrect. Didn't get an email confirmation because the guy who took my reservation kept getting my email address wrong (despite 3 corrections over the phone). I was told we'd get a queen bed but it was a small double in the end, the room was a shoebox, we could barely get around the bed without bumping into the furniture, over a noisy street with nothing noteworthy or "artsy" at all about the room. The sheets had dried bloodstains on them, the bathroom wasn't the cleanest, and when we went to check out, we were only then told (and quite rudely) that we had to pay for parking across the road. The room also has this bizarre slatted window thing above the door, which lets light flood into the room from the hallway with no way to block it off, so the room was very bright all night - not helpful for a sensitive sleeper. I found the staff were absentminded and for a total bill of $250 we could stay at a 5 star hotel downtown for very little extra and with much more space and better service, so we just left early and decided to cancel our extra nights. I travel extensively for work globally (~100-150 nights a year) so have plenty to compare it to, and would not recommend staying here for the price - it is vastly overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank dragonflygirl74

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Had a great stay! Great boutique hotel. We had a great stay and would defiantly stay again. Parking was a pain as I couldn't find anything about it on their web site. I found out upon check in that you must call the hotel to reserve a spot (which are limited). We ended up parking on the street which was fine....I was told it was free in certain spots due to the construction. Low and behold....when we checked out Sunday I had a parking ticket for not having a permit! Nothing was posted anywhere (this was on peel st. right in front of the construction area) near where I parked. Oh well....a $30 ticket was cheaper than paying for parking at most Toronto hotels for one night. I was parked there for 2. A great stay though!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Schackleford
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I had a wonderful stay at Gladstone, enjoying the hospitality and the design of my room (Room 403, Surreal Gourmet). The friendliness of the Canadian people is a given (gotta love them!), so needless to say, the staff was incredibly helpful and patient with me (directionally challenged). I absolutely loved my room - the abundance of a joyful feeling and the designer's attention to detail. The bathroom is a bit small, but it was expected. During my stay, however, the room had a residual smoke smell. It's a non-smoking room, so I don't know if a smoker stayed before me or the smell came from another room. It was temporary - not miserable, which is the only reason I didn't give an "excellent rating". The public areas of the hotel are more spacious than I thought actually. The building is retro (with a century-old elevator!) but the interior is very modern. The food at the restaurant was very good and I just adored those chairs (Eames?) at Melody Bar. The neighborhood is up-and-coming, hipster, like Williamsburg in Brooklyn (New York). There are lots of dining and shopping options along Queen Street. The street car is quite convenient, if you're used to public transportation or travel on a budget. Overall, though, I think Toronto is a driving city.

Room Tip: Room 403 is a corner room facing south and Queen Street. It wasn't noisy at all. South facing is...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Jenny X
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I had tickets to see a play at the Lower Ossington Theatre and decided to look for a hotel nearby to stay for the night. After checking out the Gladstone's website, I knew I wanted to stay in one of their rooms! Each one was designed and furnished by different artists so they each have their own personality. Some of the rooms can be quite small though. I opted for the Canadiana room on the 4th floor (404). It felt like I walked into a rustic cabin in the woods. The room was big with a full 4-piece bathroom. The queen size bed was one of the softest I have been in too. The room faced Queen Street but didn't notice very much street noise while I slept. There were photo exhibitions going on so people would be walking by my room. Complementary coffee and tea were available the next morning in the hallway. Parking spots can be reserved and are across the street. They only have 6 so make sure to book one if needed. Spots 1/2/3 are crammed into the corner beside the Glastone Cafe; luckily there wasn't anyone beside me so I could 3-point turn out of there. It was within walking distance to many trendy shops and nice little restaurants. If I were to plan another evening in Toronto and not want to be right downtown, I would stay at the Gladstone and try another room.

Room Tip: Most rooms are small but each is a totally different theme. Canadiana is quite large and faces the r...
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Our daughter-in-law booked brunch for 8 people for Father's Day Brunch due to good ratings. The ratings should be 1 star or less. The brunch was nothing like food shown on website- several big servers had no food at all, the so called fantastic brunch consisted of some fried potatoes, tasteless scrambled eggs, fatty beacon and sausages and some breaded tofu. ANY FAST FOOD WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER.
Furthermore dining- bar room was being renovated and not clean.
Recommendation- DON'T GO HERE!

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank BenderD43
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We were pleasantly surprised with how high-end this artsy boutique hotel felt. The in-room tablets were fast and a convenient touch. The front desk staff were extremely friendly and helpful. TTC stops just outside the hotel, made travelling into the downtown core effortless and the close parking spots were perfect for us out-of-towners! I have told all my Ottawa friends about how amazing this hotel is for Toronto escapes!

1  Thank Felicity S
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The Gladstone Hotel in Toronto was nice. The bed was VERY comfortable (probably the best part of the room). The bathroom was clean (although I did see a bit of mildew). The staff was helpful and friendly. The worse part about the hotel was the parking situation. There was a wedding party at the hotel and by the time we got there all of the parking spaces were taken so it took about 45 minutes (or more) to find an available spot on the street. Other than that, the hotel was in a nice location near the Portuguese neighborhood and we were able to walk downtown and see the city. The hotel itself was very artsy and very original, with each floor show-casing different photo displays. Very nice overall.