“What a GREAT place!”

Ranked #26 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Guelph
“What a GREAT place!”
Reviewed 2 January 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Gladstone and were very impressed. As many others have said previously, it's a very different hotel full of life and charisma. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would recommend it to anyone staying in Toronto. In addition, we enjoyed a hearty breakfast in the morning and were very pleased with the portion size and value for our money. Great place, would definitely go back if I had the opportunity!

• Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chapstick080908

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
pittsburgh
Reviewed 14 December 2009

Staying at the Gladstone was such a wonderfully unique experience. The hotel was very accommodating when we experience delays getting there due to winter weather conditions. The room was warm and cozy, the homemade soaps where a special touch. We had breakfast in the morning at the cafe... the food was fresh, local, and amazing. We're planning on coming back in the summer!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank justaminette
Michigan
Reviewed 10 December 2009

I visit Toronto three or four times a year on business and always stay at the Gladstone. The artfully designed rooms somehow combine odd, even stricking, interior design with old fashioned hotel comfort. The food in the bar and cafe is very dependable- I'd rather eat breakfast here than anyplace else in the city.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank heyemerald
newyork
Reviewed 9 December 2009

as a frequest business traveller it was refreshing to stay in a super friendly hotel that felt like being at home
great night time parties downstairs, knowledgable and friendly staff
cafe is great for breakfast after a big night at the bar
totally recommended!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kikisurlalac
toronto
Reviewed 8 December 2009

This is a unique spot, loved it. It's essentially an art gallery with hotel rooms, every single room is completely different, designed by a different artist or designer. I'd say the hotel is more suited to younger crowd, they had some pretty loud nightlife on the main floor (hotel rooms are on 3rd and 4th floor). The restaurant on the main floor was really really good, best risotto I've ever had. It's true front desk staff could be a bit more knowledgeable on the galleries/restaurants/nightlife, but I've never been one to completely rely on someone else to plan my trip anyways, and there's so much right in the area, turning right or left is not the worst suggestion in the world (as the last reviewer made it out to be), it's right next door to great dining and nightlife... I like Unit right next door, and the beaver next to that. and there are dozens of galleries and design shops within a few blocks. The area is a bit interesting, I wouldn't say seedy, maybe it was once upon a time but it looks to be going through some major changes right now. It's nothing you wouldn't see in any major city, I never felt unsafe or anything. Overall though, a good experience. I'll definitely be back to check out some of the other rooms.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank lagauche
Rochester, NY
Reviewed 7 December 2009

I am quite disappointed with my stay at The Gladstone Hotel. While the room we stayed in (Big Wood) was pretty cool and very clean, the rest of the experience was not very enjoyable.
We found the location was just a few blocks too far away from the trendy shops that we went to check out. The area of the hotel, to us, seemed a bit seedy (homeless people, etc). Furthermore we were very disappointed that the parking was so poor. The hotel has zero parking. we were directed to a Price Chopper parking lot behind the hotel that had very poor lighting (in a seedy neighborhood) and there did not appear to be any security.
What was most disappointing was the staff. we were greeted by a woman that seemed as though checking us in was a pain in her butt. Then to top it of we asked where we should go for shopping and she gave us a blank stare. She said "um, I guess you could go out the front door and turn left or right"- thanks Lady for that helpful nugget! That same night we asked the guy at the front desk where he suggested going for Italian food. He gave us a map and pointed us towards Little Italy (NOT!). He actually gave us directions to a a different Portuguese neighborhood just a few blocks away. We did not know we were a couple blocks off until much later that night after we had a very average meal at someplace we did not want to go.
Then.. that night at 4am we were awaken by a ton of noise in the hallway. I looked up at the door form my bed and noticed that there were louvers above the door, so of course noise travels. This sucked! Top that off with tons of noise from the street. they gave us ear plugs, but that was not enough. That should have been our clue to switch rooms or hotels.
The hotel is pretty funky- certainly lived up to that reputation, if only the staff was as interesting as the art on the walls!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Dave_rochester
Montreal
Reviewed 4 December 2009

I am from Montreal and was totally unprepared for the Gladstone. My co-worker had taken care of the hotel arrangements for us and when we arrived I was totally taken off guard by the 'antler chairs' in the lobby, the turn of the last century elevator, and the wonderful attitude of the clerk at the front desk. The elevator man was waiting for our looks of surprise when we arrived on the 3rd floor!!! A generous lobby with comfortable chairs from ages past, artwork hanging from the ceiling and on the walls (and not your standard artwork either!!) and judys' dressed in period costume gave the impression our rooms were in an art gallery. The room was not the biggest one I had ever stayed in but decor made it the most interesting one! I had fur curtains that hung from 12 foot ceilings and another fur on my bed. No standard lights on the ceiling - only the best of chandeliers would do!! A four poster bed made of logs gave the impression someone had just cut down a tree to make it for me – and I slept like a log! The shower was intimate – no bending over to pick up the soap but everything was spotless.

Are you looking for the unusual? Bring your camera and experience the wonderful service, dining and atmosphere of a great hotel in Toronto.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business