Havinn International Guest House
Hotwire.com
US$264
US$254
  • Pool
All reviewsdupont metro stationplace to staybathroomdowntownfurniturehallway
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I would have no trouble at all recommending this excellent well run B&B. Gary was helpful and the room was perfect, with a big bed and well furnished. It did not have air con but there was an electric fan which worked just as well. It was scrupulously clean. The bathroom was just across the hall. With TV in the room and good Internet connection I didn't need anything else. There is a kitchen/dining area for guests to use. My boys were higher up the house and their room seemed just fine too.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 4 which was excellent.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Annabel S
Reviewed 20 May 2012

We had a nice two night stay at the Havinn. Some other reviews mentioned dirty linens and things but we had only pleasant experiences. Clean bathrooms, clean and very comfortable beds, clean well kept kitchen, beautiful rooms. The hosts Gary and Ekimo were friendly and nice. It was like a hotel really except for sharing a bathroom and kitchen- the rooms are quite big. In a nice part of town with old houses and trees. Not too far to subway and bixi bikes and local crepe restaurant. Very good value too, I think. We will surely return! Thanks for a great stay and delicious scones. There is a place at the back to park your bike. The floors are squeaky is my only complaint but that is what happens in an old house :)

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank seanfrance
Reviewed 9 September 2011

We stayed here for the first few days of our year long stay in Toronto and our hosts couldn't have been more helpful and welcoming. The rooms were really nice, clean, comfortable, peaceful and felt safe. The beds were huge, comfy, the rooms were nicely presented and Gary got us air conditioning hooked up when there was a heat wave. Breakfast was tasty and always plentiful. The area is very convenient for the subway and walking distance to a wealth of shops, cafes etc on Bloor St. Havinn later became fully booked and we had to stay elsewhere (College Backpackers Hostel) - the room was pretty much the same price but our stay was far inferior and it really brought home how good Havinn was! We went back to Havinn and instantly felt like we had returned to a home away from home. Gary was so helpful, genuinely kind and full of advice to help us get settled in the country. We couldn't recommend Havinn strongly enough - a definite choice for anyone looking for a nice place to stay in Toronto.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Luke S
Reviewed 8 September 2011

Many times over the years have I been to Havinn, visiting friends and family. Have enjoyed the sights and sounds of Toronto, as it changed to an international city of renown.
To be able to park the car on site and travel by foot and subway is so relaxing and stress free. So much of the city is near to Havinn - U. of Toronto, Bloor St. shopping, Chinatown, Casa Loma.
Do I mind a 100 year old Victorian home with high ceilings and spacious rooms? Do I mind some tiredness in the painted surfaces? Not so much when I consider that for my economical dollar I get a breakfast that will suit me for a morning. That for that dollar I will have the use of 3 no waiting washrooms to share with only a few other guests. And I have watched the Moodies clean their washrooms and I know as a professional home renovator and project manager that they take very great care in the cleanliness of their place. And, if there are problems, as they do everywhere happen, then the Moodies are immediate in response and concern.
For myself, I would rather have a stay in a warm, caring Victorian home. Tourists go to hotels but if you are a traveler and wish to experience Toronto as a traveler, then try the Havinn experience.

Room Tip: Take a back room if you are a light sleeper
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
7  Thank dennis b
Reviewed 25 March 2011

I stayed at Havinn mid March and I do not completely agree with my fellow travellers. Sure, this is not a luxury inn but for the price I believe it offers rather good value. I had a very nice room, no complaints about the cleaning and a good breakfast. Perhaps the owner has improvided things following the somewhat negative comments here. Whether I was lucky or things have improved, its hard to tell. But my stay was well worth the money.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo