“Clean and solid”

Ranked #48 of 117 Toronto B&B and Inns
Kitchener
“Clean and solid”
Reviewed 2 December 2008

When we first sent our inquiry to Havinn, Gary responded very quickly and gave us the necessary information. Everything was as the website states. The place is not fancy, but clean and simple. The bed we slept on was good. The room was warm. The continental breakfast was good, though more fruit and a selection of cold drinks (more than orange juice) would have been nice. The kitchen furniture and cupboards were clean, but could use an upgrade of paint and style. The price was right for Toronto!

Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank Ndoy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Worcester
Reviewed 23 November 2008

We stayed in Havinn B&B for 1 week. It was very comfortable and reasonably priced. The host,Gary, was an excellent source of local knowledge. The breakfast was continental and help yourself, there were freshly baked items available as well, highly recommeded. The kitchen had a large fridge in which you can put your own food (snacks etc) and was open for access all the time.The house was huge and not too far away from the tube and local transport. You are just north of China Town. Everything is in quite walkable distances anyway if you want to see Toronto.

• Liked — Large, comfortable room
  • Disliked — Stairs, glad we weren't at the top, no lift, heavy cases.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank willowscreen
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 10 November 2008

My sister and I stayed at Havinn for seven nights and couldn't have chosen a better location. We arrived at 10pm after a 14 hour flight and were greeted by Gary who promptly offered to carry my large suitcase up stairs to our room.
Gary and his wife are friendly and helpful.
We never had to wait for the bathrooms which were always clean.
The location is wonderful..if your active you can walk easily into the city center if not the subway is close at hand and easy to navigate (just ask if your not sure).
The breakfasts were yummy and plentiful, fresh fruit, yogurt, pastries and different breads each day and available from 7am for those that like to rise and get the day underway early.
I saw in previous reviews comments re rooms being made up each day. This is not the case here and I for one actually preferred it that way. Clean towels are available on request and the rooms and beds are comfortable.
The inn is older and being there reminded me of being at my mothers old house I felt right at home and would thoroughly recommend. If I were to visit again I would seek accommodation at this address.
Helen ~ Australia

• Liked — Accomodating, friendly
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank helenjane40
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2008

3 x GOOD = good location, good price, good accomodation

I stayed in Havinn in September. As someone has already mentioned the breakfast is nice ( I loved the brown, poppyseed bread they have :-) and it is good to be able to use fridge and microwave. Now few words about the rooms - yes they also did not clean my every day but I didn't mind as I had all my stuff all over the floor ;-) As long as they are cleaned at least once a week it's ok. So:

Room 1 - just by the main entrance door on the first floor. I bet you can hear people coming in and going out.

Room 2 - with 2 double beds on the 2nd floor, overlooking Spadina

Room 3 - one double bed, on the 2nd floor (my favourite room) and even though it is also ovelooking Spadina it is quiet.

Room 4 - also on the 2nd floor, one double bed, big room but next to the toilet, opposite bathroom and kitchen; so if you like to sleep long I don't think this room is ok because you can hear people in the morning fe. if they have a conversation while having breakfast.

I had to change the rooms while I stayed there so that is how I a little bit about them ;-)

I think there are 2 rooms on the 3rd floor but I can not say anything about them.

I hope it was helpful and I hope you will enjoy your time in Toronto.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
7 Thank Ataga
canada
Reviewed 30 September 2008

I have just returned from my eighth but definitely not last stay at the Havinn at 118 Spadina in Toronto. Gary, the owner, has been remarkably accomodating, kind, and friendly during each of my visits. This clean, character filled Victorian house provides many great benefits for the Toronto tourist and/or student. The two rooms I have stayed in have been tastefully decorated with older furniture and the beds have been extremely comfortable, Breakfast (included in the very reasonable rates) arrives in the common kitchen every morning, complete with always fresh, often still warm baking and breads, fresh fruit, yoghurt, juice,and coffee. The three washrooms are always clean, and all are situated close to the rooms. The house itself is in a great district...very close to subway, busses, ROM, U of T, and every amenity...and a lovely area to walk through, sightsee, and/or shop. I would highly recommend a stay.

Vicki Reynolds
Manitoba, Canada

• Liked — Friendly service, character home
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
4 Thank vickiWinnipeg
College Park, MD
Reviewed 1 September 2008

This is a budget B&B, and the owners do a lot to keep the costs down. For example, the rooms are not serviced every day (and not at all during our 3-night stay). Much of the furniture is old (some of the handles were broken on the dresser in our room). There is some chipped/peeling paint. Breakfast (which is continental: fruit, yogurt, pastries, bread, tea, coffee, and juice) is not served to you, but is set out in the kitchenette for you to serve yourself. (The kitchenette has no stove/oven, but does have a refrigerator, microwave, toaster, coffee machine, plug-in kettle, and dishes for you to use whenever you want, not just at breakfast time.) Also, you are asked to remove your shoes at the door.

If any of these things bother you, this is not the place for you. But it's a clean, comfortable place to stay in a safe and convenient location (one block from the Dupont subway, a slightly longer walk from the Spadina subway), and the price was just right ($60 for one person, $76 for two people, including tax). All in all, an excellent place for the budget-conscious tourist to stay in Toronto.

• Liked — Price, location
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank khbuzzard
MidWest USA farm country
Reviewed 31 August 2008

My hubby and I just returned to the USA from an absolutely delightful one-week visit to Toronto where we stayed at Havinn B&B. I could hardly wait to write this review. We are happy we listened to the many positive reviews here!

Anyhow, Gary and his lovely Japanese wife couldn't have been more kind and gracious. Very relaxing atmosphere, just like being at home. And the price was a steal. Shhhhh.... Comfortable room, clean shared bathroom. Basic but very clean. I'm allergic to dust mold so I was very happy there are only bare wooden floors everywhere. My husband liked free WiFi internet. They had free parking for our VW. That's a big moneysaver. We did get up early every morning and ate a big breakfast. The freshly ground coffee was so amazingly good. (I asked Gary where he buys it, and we bought 6 pounds of that coffee in Kensington market before we left) The home made muffins that Gary's wife bakes are much better than mine. ;-) Yogurt, bagels, cream cheese, fresh fruit and different teas. We were stuffed until late lunchtime!

Toronto is a great city--friendly, safe, exciting. Havinn is very convenient to all the places of interest like Kensington market (fruit stands and fish markets and scads of restaurants... try the free cheese and homemade bread samples) , Chinatown, the big Museum, CN Tower, Korea town etc. Hubby and I walked almost everywhere, except we took the subway to the zoo. Best food ever in Chinatown. Also check out Vietnamese restaurants and "pho." It's a delicious soup that's a meal.

Well, if you like to visit Toronto and want a very homey place to stay for not much money, my husband and I say don't even think about staying anywhere else!

• Liked — Warm and friendly owners, yummy breakfast, no carpets, clean BR and Bath, good bargain for the money
  • Disliked — Not being able to stay longer. :-)
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple