“I would stay again” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #102 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Trinidad and Tobago
“I would stay again”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

Location - Very convenient. Easy accesses to everything you can possible want including buses and train stations. Shopping, CN Tower, Ripley’s Aquarium, Imax, Dundas station etc. Yes there r homeless people around however I was not bothered by any of them and they were not aggressive as far as I saw. It was cold so maybe everyone was sleeping lol

Room - The room is comfortable and cozy all things promised were there; blow dryer, coffee maker/coffee, ironing board, tv, cable, towels..etc It is worth the price I paid. I had a room on the 2nd floor it was bit noisy but it is the town area so that is expected. If you are looking for somewhere to stay not to expensive yet comfortable this is the place. Everything worked well even the thermostat and humidifier in the room. The walls are really thin..but you can still have privacy. U had to walk gingerly not to make the floor creak.

Hotel Staff - very helpful and pleasant ready to assist.

Cleanliness - At 1st glance it looks clean when you look closer...well oh dear :-( My worst experience was picking up a "clean" towel and finding 2 long black hair ekkkkk my hair is not black!! I dropped the towel on the floor..of course I could not leave it there so I picked it up to rest on the counter only to see I picked up more from the bathroom floor! OMG!! That is terrible! of course I requested new towels immediately but that was a horrible turn off. I noticed if you are in the room when they are cleaning they do a thorough job when you are not there well they make the bed and give the room a half way job. This was my only disappointment at the hotel.

Breakfast - Well it was ok I had breakfast there my 1st and last morning. Its is your basic breakfast sooo no eggs or pancakes but the hotel could try to vary the flavors of jams...cheese..juices or fruits. Its very boring I could not eat the breakfast for 8 mornings no way. However, coffee was always there and what they had available was filling.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 2nd floor. 1st floor is like a basement and 3rd is too much steps to walk up an...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank SaintlyCindy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Windsor, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

this hotel was disgusting. unclean and in such a sketchy location, stayed only for one night, stains all over the bathroom walls, holes in the wall, i didn't book a smoking room yet got one anyways and couldn't relocate. had to have the staff come spray my room with freshener.

the pillows were too hard, tv remote barely worked. the only thing that was fine was the wi-fi.

nosey neighbours all through the night and staff did nothing.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Toronto hotels

Gatineau, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

I've read other reviews.
Yes it's not the most fancy hotel but it was just what we needed and very convenient.
Most of the staff are friendly.
My sister and I have been there for 4 nights.
We've enjoyed our stay there.
We travel with my dog. We were on the first floor: it was easy to get in and out with him...and the dog park is less than one minute away.

The breakfast is good. Just a bit more proteins would be nice but we were always ok till lunch.
There's a convenience store open 24/24 at 300 ft. We got ourselves a few things that we kept in the fridge and saved on meals outside.
There's a Harveys just across the street. We went there twice for a hambergur and salad (so we had some vegies).
We didn't have any problems with the noise while we were there. It must depends who your neighbours are...

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

Lets just say this place has character. The room walls are paper thin, we were able to hear people opening and closing their drawers at 3am a few rooms down. The TV short circuited, the internet was painfully slow, the mattresses were old and no longer springy in the middle, the pillows were old, flat and hard, and the AC had to be resetted to work again. I don't know what I paid for. Maybe cereal and tea in the morning?

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amanda T
Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

You do really get what you pay for. Booked this hotel after lots of research. Used a package with Priceline, which also had a flight from NYC and 5 nights at the hotel. The pluses of the hotel are that while basic, it is clean and efficient. I arrived and the AC in my room was not working properly (the AC machines are very difficult to figure out). The front desk staff member immediately sent me to another room, which also had a small fridge. Room had one bed, a TV (bit antiquited but functional with a number of English and French stations), bathroom, wifi (that worked pretty well), and a bathroom. My room was facing the street.

The biggest downside is the location. Toronto is rapidly evolving. New buildings are going up everywhere. And old ones are being torn down and replaced with new towers housing luxury conods and hotels. The immediate blocks around the hotel are still evolving. The major problem is that the immediate 2 blocks around the hotel are seedy. Once you pass that, you are fine. There are a number of homeless people that roam around. I saw one reader write they saw 100 homeless people outside a shelter. In 5 days, I have never seen that. I live in NYC but will say I was still extra cautious coming back late at night to the hotel or just used a cab. Once you get two blocks away you are in one of the hearts of the city - right near the Gay Village, Eaton Center and Ryerson University.

Staff was very helpful throughout the visit. Friendly and attentive. The maids usually came to clean the room in a timely fashion, which doesnt always happen at hotels.

Breakfast was lacking. Just coffee, toast, bagels, ceral, and prepacked muffins. 2 days I opted to find my own.

The hotel building itself is only 3 floors but the building looks somewhat new, which is why I do not understand how they dont have an elevator.

Bottom line - you will survive if you stay here, but if you want to be in this area I would spend a little more and stay at possibly at the Holiday Inn Downtown Centre on Carlton.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second or third floor. There is no elevator but it is safer to not be on the stree...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Michael C
Kitchener, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

Cheap rate for a hotel stay which is close to all entertainment. However, for cleanliness it gets a 2 / 10. Sure the lobby looks decent, the room well at first glance was ok until we walked around and noticed was the condom wrapper on the floor beside the bed ( in plain sight, so clearly the room was not cleaned).... the burn marks in the blankets ( common how cheap are those to replace? ) for $124 ( which is the price i paid for the stay). The shower towels, well the lack there of were NOT clean at all i had shaken them out and all the disgusting hair from other people came out. They were not clean what so ever. Not the greatest corner to stay on, like i said cheap rate. The hotel is not in the worst condition but not a place i would consider for an extra 40$ i would go else where. Cleanliness was not big here. Also keep in mind the second floor ( it is 3 floors) is the smoking floor.... Odd that it was the second floor. Anyways not impressed it cost 124$ and as not clean. ( parking is also not well advertised fr where it actually is.. maybe out line that it is a "back ally" type lot.

Room Tip: I am not one to review on a hotel, i am an avid traveler however really look into the place before c...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

We arrived to find our booked room wasn't the right one - we were given a smoking room, with a suspicious stain on the floor. We were swapped the next night, but it was still smelly and dirty. Poor location - not really downtown - just outside anything convenient, and rather dodgy area.
The only thing that saves this from a one star review is the decent free breakfast, and the staff who were quite friendly.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family