“Reasonable place with some concerns ”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Downtown
Ranked #109 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

This Econo lodge hotel is not much different from the others I've already stayed in. The room is fine with good space and clean stuff. What concerned me about this hotel in Toronto was the difficulty to unload the bags from the car (there's no place to stop in front of the hotel nor park). You have to do things in a real hurry if you don't want people to be angrily honking their horns behind you. We had to leave our car parked on the street because the nearest paid parking lot cost about 25 dollars plus taxes the overnight. Something else to be pointed out is safety. The windows from the second floor, for example, give view to a short roof which can be easily climbed from the street. I'd be no surprised to see someone staring at my room through the window, that's why I left the curtains closed during the entire time of my stay. The place is an option to stay shortly, but if you are up to spending a bit more for comfort (no elevator = carrying heavy bags along the corridor carpets) and security, try somewhere else!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mfzmoura

Reviewed 30 January 2014

I stayed two nights at Econo Lodge. It was one of the lowest priced hotels in the city, but I was pleasantly surprised -- and I will stay here again. The only downside was slightly weak shower pressure, but other than this, it was great. Breakfast was good, and wifi internet worked great.

This is a good location on the edge of the university. It's a safe area and reasonably close to things: 3 min walk to Carlton/College streetcar; 10 min walk to College subway station; 5 min walk to the best Loblaws store in Toronto (groceries & ready food).

Parking is a bit difficult, as with everywhere in the downtown. There's a lot near Yonge & Gerrard that's $12 for a full 24 hours of parking, but no in-and-outs. A closer lot just one block north is $23 for 24 hours, but you can do in-and-outs as long as it's not packed.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room on the upper floor
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank mountain820
Reviewed 14 December 2013

There are certain prejudices about this hotel that need to be dismissed:
- The staff are efficient and friendly (especially the desk manager). However if you are inclined to ask them a dumb question (like where can I park my car) you are likely to get a curt reply.
- The area around the hotel is EXTREMELY safe (as is most of Toronto). It is a great location (ex Allen Gardens, College street cars). But if you are the type who is afraid of friendly Ryerson University students (the campus is right next to the hotel on Gerard), then stay away.
- The hotel has all the amenities one could hope for (AC, ironing board and iron, coffe maker, bedside reading lamps, cable, alarm clock). The rooms are clean. However, if you are the type who gets queasy over a plastered wall, a scratched table or a rusty rad then you should not travel at all. Just stay at home.
- The hotel offers a complimentary breakfast (I had toasted raisin bagels with coffee and bran cereal with milk) with a free newspaper.
- I can imagine that the hotel could be noisy during the summer when it is full, but you would have the option of running the 9000 btu AC unit in your room to drown out the noise. I went off season (December) and the hotel was extremely quiet and warm.
- Don't forget to tip the maid.

Room Tip: Just book. All the rooms are equally comfortable.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Bobono A
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Location - Very convenient. Easy accesses to everything you can possible want including buses and train stations. Shopping, CN Tower, Ripley’s Aquarium, Imax, Dundas station etc. Yes there r homeless people around however I was not bothered by any of them and they were not aggressive as far as I saw. It was cold so maybe everyone was sleeping lol

Room - The room is comfortable and cozy all things promised were there; blow dryer, coffee maker/coffee, ironing board, tv, cable, towels..etc It is worth the price I paid. I had a room on the 2nd floor it was bit noisy but it is the town area so that is expected. If you are looking for somewhere to stay not to expensive yet comfortable this is the place. Everything worked well even the thermostat and humidifier in the room. The walls are really thin..but you can still have privacy. U had to walk gingerly not to make the floor creak.

Hotel Staff - very helpful and pleasant ready to assist.

Cleanliness - At 1st glance it looks clean when you look closer...well oh dear :-( My worst experience was picking up a "clean" towel and finding 2 long black hair ekkkkk my hair is not black!! I dropped the towel on the floor..of course I could not leave it there so I picked it up to rest on the counter only to see I picked up more from the bathroom floor! OMG!! That is terrible! of course I requested new towels immediately but that was a horrible turn off. I noticed if you are in the room when they are cleaning they do a thorough job when you are not there well they make the bed and give the room a half way job. This was my only disappointment at the hotel.

Breakfast - Well it was ok I had breakfast there my 1st and last morning. Its is your basic breakfast sooo no eggs or pancakes but the hotel could try to vary the flavors of jams...cheese..juices or fruits. Its very boring I could not eat the breakfast for 8 mornings no way. However, coffee was always there and what they had available was filling.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 2nd floor. 1st floor is like a basement and 3rd is too much steps to walk up an...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank SaintlyCindy
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I've read other reviews.
Yes it's not the most fancy hotel but it was just what we needed and very convenient.
Most of the staff are friendly.
My sister and I have been there for 4 nights.
We've enjoyed our stay there.
We travel with my dog. We were on the first floor: it was easy to get in and out with him...and the dog park is less than one minute away.

The breakfast is good. Just a bit more proteins would be nice but we were always ok till lunch.
There's a convenience store open 24/24 at 300 ft. We got ourselves a few things that we kept in the fridge and saved on meals outside.
There's a Harveys just across the street. We went there twice for a hambergur and salad (so we had some vegies).
We didn't have any problems with the noise while we were there. It must depends who your neighbours are...

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Lets just say this place has character. The room walls are paper thin, we were able to hear people opening and closing their drawers at 3am a few rooms down. The TV short circuited, the internet was painfully slow, the mattresses were old and no longer springy in the middle, the pillows were old, flat and hard, and the AC had to be resetted to work again. I don't know what I paid for. Maybe cereal and tea in the morning?

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amanda T
Reviewed 1 September 2013

You do really get what you pay for. Booked this hotel after lots of research. Used a package with Priceline, which also had a flight from NYC and 5 nights at the hotel. The pluses of the hotel are that while basic, it is clean and efficient. I arrived and the AC in my room was not working properly (the AC machines are very difficult to figure out). The front desk staff member immediately sent me to another room, which also had a small fridge. Room had one bed, a TV (bit antiquited but functional with a number of English and French stations), bathroom, wifi (that worked pretty well), and a bathroom. My room was facing the street.

The biggest downside is the location. Toronto is rapidly evolving. New buildings are going up everywhere. And old ones are being torn down and replaced with new towers housing luxury conods and hotels. The immediate blocks around the hotel are still evolving. The major problem is that the immediate 2 blocks around the hotel are seedy. Once you pass that, you are fine. There are a number of homeless people that roam around. I saw one reader write they saw 100 homeless people outside a shelter. In 5 days, I have never seen that. I live in NYC but will say I was still extra cautious coming back late at night to the hotel or just used a cab. Once you get two blocks away you are in one of the hearts of the city - right near the Gay Village, Eaton Center and Ryerson University.

Staff was very helpful throughout the visit. Friendly and attentive. The maids usually came to clean the room in a timely fashion, which doesnt always happen at hotels.

Breakfast was lacking. Just coffee, toast, bagels, ceral, and prepacked muffins. 2 days I opted to find my own.

The hotel building itself is only 3 floors but the building looks somewhat new, which is why I do not understand how they dont have an elevator.

Bottom line - you will survive if you stay here, but if you want to be in this area I would spend a little more and stay at possibly at the Holiday Inn Downtown Centre on Carlton.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second or third floor. There is no elevator but it is safer to not be on the stree...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo