“HORRIBLE! discriminatory staff, tv cable not working, possible bedbugs, noisy AC, bad neighborhood” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Downtown

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Downtown
Ranked #102 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

The list of bad things about this hotel goes on and on, the only good thing was that the bed was comfortable.

The neighborhood is full of crackheads and prostitutes, I checked in after a long drive at 5am after booking this on hotwire. The booking said "pet friendly" and no checkout time was specified. First thing that happened after I got my room key was the front desk guy (Expedito) phones me to say that "check out is at 11am" - which was not specified in my hotwire documentation, nor was he able to prove that to me. Most hotel check out times in Toronto is noon, but what I found most irritating was the fact that immediately after I entered the room he is on the phone telling me about the check out time as if "we can't wait to get you out of here". That has never happened to me before, he didn't even give me a chance to put down my bags and review the hotel policies in the binder on the desk.

Speaking of the binder on the desk, it did not include a WIFI password, and I could clearly see that checkout time had once been noon, and was now whited out to say 11am. I felt like the guy at the front desk was being discriminatory towards me, so even though I wanted the wifi password, I was too upset to call back and ask him for it. Not to mention, the booking had been paid for on Hotwire and the payment went through, but he was trying to tell me that I gave them an incorrect Mastercard when I don't have a Mastercard, I only have a Visa - something seemed not quite right about that.

The next thing that happened was that the TV cable connection was not working properly. There would be lines going down the screen no matter how hard we tried to tighten it. The "A/C" unit in the room is one of those external ones with a hose that is suuper noisy, made it hard to sleep. When my boyfriend came into the hotel with our dog, the front desk guy ran into the hallway and yelled at us "how are you going to pay for the extra pet fee" not taking into account that it's after 5am in the morning and he might wake other guests. I told him I wanted to sleep and that I'd take it up with front desk at checkout.

I awaken at 11am sharp by the next front desk woman (Hason sp?) telling me I need to leave or they're going to charge me for another night. SINCE WHEN has this ever happened that a hotel can't give you a few minute's grace for checking out? They were clearly discriminating against me for whatever reason. She then reminded me about this "pet fee" that I was never aware of in the booking and proceeded to charge me 20$ plus tax. She was extremely rude.

The cherry on top is that when I got home I found a bedbug in my suitcase.

I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank D C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Within walking distance of the CN Tower, waterfront and greyhound station we found this to be outstanding value. Clean room, very comfortable bed, good bathroom and shower facilities and extensive choice of cereals, fruit, croissants and bagels, juices plus toast with jams and marmalade and tea or coffee for breakfast. Highly recommended for just over $100 per night.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Brian T
Moorhead, Minnesota, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Hotel is older with NO parking. It is expensive to find parking in this area of Toronto. There is a Loblaws up the street around the corner. about 10 minute walk. A Harveys restaurant and a corner store are right across the street.

The room is basic. coffee maker...bed, desk. older TV. has air conditioning. Window opens but this is a busy corner. we had to keep it closed at night because of the loud people walking the street late at night.

Hotel could use some paint repairs in common areas, but the hallways are well lit. No Elevator so be prepared for stairs if on Third Floor.

They arranged a car service to Pearson for $55 , not a typical cab but a Yukon or Suburban with leather seats. Breakfast is basic. Toast or bagels, 3 cereals , packaged muffins, coffee tea orange juice.

if you are looking for a basic hotel that is clean and near almost everything then this will do fine.

Room Tip: we were in 315.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Since Toronto don't have many hostel, we choose ELI DT as our place to stay. With great deal and good room, you get breakfast every morning. There's a convenient store around the corner, place to eat and walking distance subway. For backpackers, this is a great place to stay!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Rainer O
canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

For $100 /night you get a decent hotel downtown Toronto. It doesn't come with any frills but there is no need as the hotel is walking distance to just about anywhere downtime. We walked from the hotel to the CN Tower, Kensington Market, the waterfront, etc. The rooms were clean and secured so I have no complaints. I would stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Harmonize
ottawa, on
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Hotel check in staff were very friendly and lobby area and bathroom were clean. Stayed in a "suite". Consisted of two double beds, a very small table and chairs and a set of stairs which led to a very cramped and dark area with a tv and pull-out couch. Furnishings and room elements were very tired and dated and one bedspread had a hole in it. There is no convenient area to park to unload your luggage and breakfast consists of continental items only. Would not stay again but there is a Comfort Suites almost next door from the same hotel chain that is a much better stay and includes a full breakfast.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank cdnhart

Travellers are raving about these Toronto hotels

Copiague, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

Decent little hotel. Room was a good size, bed was comfortable. Short walk from yonge street and downtown. About a mile from the hockey hall of fame. The area is a little shady but we didn't have any problems. Staff was friendly and very accommodating. There is no parking so you have to be quick about dropping your bags. Parking in the area can get expensive. There is no elevator but for us that was not an issue. I would recommend this hotel for anyone looking to spend a few nights in Toronto on the cheap, and I would stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends