“Boring story. Poor acoustics in the theatre”

Princess of Wales Theatre
Ranked #24 of 529 things to do in Toronto
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Princess of Wales Theatre is a 2000-seat playhouse built by the father and son producing team of David and Ed Mirvish, just a block away from their historic Royal Alexandra Theatre. The Princess of Wales is the first privately owned and financed theatre built in Canada since 1907 - and the first anywhere in North America in over 30 years. Construction began on August 6, 1991, and the building opened to the public with the musical Miss Saigon on May 26, 1993.The theatre was built with maximum flexibility in mind. Its stage is one of the widest and deepest in North America - large enough to accommodate the most spectacular theatrical productions - and its technical facilities are state-of-the-art.
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Maybe I'm spoiled by the superb plays at the Stratford (Ontario) Festival and the writing of William Shakespeare but I found the story of Les Miserables was a shallow, paint-by-numbers script. The paper-thin character development and the superficial motives and emotions made me think that Steven Spielberg had written this nonsense. I mean, really; cue the cute kid dying in the arms of one of the revolutionaries. Compare this to Othello or the Merchant of Venice (or even Fiddler on the Roof) and you'll see what I mean.
Musically, the performance also failed. The orchestra played so loudly that the singers were often overwhelmed. And to add insult to injury, I couldn't understand about 20/30% of the lyrics because of dreadful acoustics of this old theatre. (It wasn't just me; many of our group of 20 said the same thing.)
Fortunately, we reserved a box and the scotch was free and the chocolate desserts were scrummylicious.
All in all, a poor evening out and a disappointing wedding anniversary.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Excellent show well worth travelling there to see this wonderful production of the Les Mis. The theatre was gorgeous had excellent seats .

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Ballet, ballet, ballet. There is nothing quite as nice as taking one's children to the ballet at Christmastime. Whether those children are children themselves or adult children, it is a special event at a very special venue.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Went to see Les Miserables at the Princess of Wales Theatre for the first time (first Les Mis and first at the theatre). I heard rumours that the Mirvish family is trying to sell off this theatre, but I have to say it would be a tragedy. The theatre is beautiful! Keep in mind if you are coming from the east on King St, the first theatre you hit is the Royal Alexander, you have to walk past it to get to the Princess of Wales they are literally down the street from each other.

Parking on the street was plentiful when we got there, but keep in mind that King St enforces parking until 12am versus many other Toronto streets that enforces parking only up to 9pm. We paid $16.00 for street parking, which is average for a flat garage rate for parking in the area so they are comparable.

We got there just in time to start seating, walked up many flights to get to our balcony seats. This theatre is accessible, there are a set of elevators to the right of the doors as you enter, but we did not see them until we got to the top of the stairs. There are washrooms on the top floor, but not very many stalls so allow for wait times if you decide to go either before the show or during intermission.

Our seats were row A, first row, on the balcony. The view was pretty good as you could see the entire stage, but there was a low railing and as another reviewer had mentioned this could block the view of someone shorter (like me). The acting for Les Mis was pretty good so I would have preferred to be a little closer to see their faces. I would say, if I go to another production at the Princess of Wales, I would look into dress circle 2nd row for a better view.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

We saw the current production of Les Miserables at the Princess of Wales Theatre. The lobby is big enough to wait in before the show so that you are not out in the cold. Even though our seats were in row U, the very last row in the orchestra section, we had little problem seeing the entire stage. Our only issue was that in several scenes, the characters are up in the "buildings" of the scenery and we had to scrunch down to see past the balcony overhang. My biggest complaint though is bathroom facilities. I think there is only one ladies restroom in the entire theatre and it only has 10 stalls! Beware during intermission!
I loved this new production of Les Mis! All the actors were excellent and we got to meet a lot of them at the stage door after the show. Although I do miss the turn table, especially during the barricade scene.