We stayed at the Residence Inn by Marriott, Downtown Toronto on the final leg of our holiday.
The Residence Inn Hotel is situated in the centre of the financial district close to the CN Tower and the Rodgers Stadium. However Yonge & Dundas (where it all happens) is a 20 minute brisk walk away and the harbour is a 15 minute walk in the opposite direction.
On entering the Residence Inn by Marriott our first impression was "dated". The decor in the lobby area is a dark brown colour with brown furniture and a orangey brown carpet. There is a small alcove area to the right where you can buy food or snacks such as crisps, chocolate and frozen microwave meals. To the left of the lobby is the lounge area with a TV and a small bar in the corner. The reception is just in front of the shop area on the right hand side and the dining/breakfast area is further up on the left.
When we tried to check in on arrival at 3pm (as stated on our booking) we were told by a rather rude receptionist that our room wasn’t ready, when we asked when our room would be available the receptionist shrugged her shoulders, said she didn’t know and told us to wait in the lobby till it was available. As we were silver elite members, we found this to be totally unacceptable and very unprofessional for a Marriott staff member.
When we did eventually check in at 4.30pm (with a different staff member) we were checked in quickly and more professionally.
On entering the suite it comprised of a dining table, a fully fitted kitchen with microwave, sink, dishwasher, fridge/freezer, hob and a coffee maker. There were complimentary teabags, filter coffee sachets and sugar stocked daily.
The lounge area comprised of a settee, a chair & table, a study desk and a chest of drawers with a LCD TV on top.
The bedroom had a double bed and a chest of drawers with another LCD TV on it. There is a large sliding door mirrored wardrobe with a safe, ironing board and iron inside.
The bathroom was clean with a low level bath with overhead shower, toilet and sink with complimentary toiletries. The room was cleaned daily and to a high standard.
There is a small gym in the hotel and a small swimming pool with a Jacuzzi, with separate changing rooms to the right.
There is complimentary breakfast in the mornings, which I can only describe as chaotic, there is a choice of cereals, cooked and continental breakfast, juices, tea and coffee, but it's a free for all with not enough tables and chairs for the all the guest to sit at. We gave up waiting for a table in the end and ate in our room; the breakfast was unappetising in my honest opinion and definitely not to the usual Marriott standard.
Apart from the rude staff member and the free for all breakfast, the Residence Inn Marriott is average at best, but it is spotlessly clean and the suites are fully stocked and tastefully decorated.
We have definitely stayed in better hotels on our travels, but also in a lot worse. Would I recommend the Residence Inn Marriott...? Mmmm, all I can say is that it's a lot of money for what you get, if you don't expect too much you wont be disappointed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Conveniently located in the heart of the downtown entertainment district, near major businesses, restaurants and attractions. Steps to CN Tower, Ripleys Aquarium, Metro Convention Centre, Rogers Centre and the Bell Light Box. Residence Inn has perfected the extended stay experience offering 256 stylish, oversized studio, one or two bedroom suites with full kitchens and living areas. Enjoy a complimentary, full, hot buffet breakfast and a light supper social 2-3 nights a week, from 6-7.30pm. Relax in the hot tub or pool area adjacent to the state-of-the art fitness centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HotelsClick so you can book your Residence Inn Toronto Downtown/Entertainment District reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Residence Inn By Marriott Toronto Downtown / Entertainment District Hotel
- Residence Inn Toronto Downtown
- Toronto Residence Inn