“Well appointed room” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
MA
“Well appointed room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

My husband and I traveled to Toronto for a concert. I usually stay at Marriotts or Hiltons. This hotel is a 15 minute walk to the Air Canada Center and a five minute walk to the Blue Jays stadium. There is a Cora's for breakfast right around the corner if you don't want to eat the free (and crowded) hotel breakfast. We drive a large truck and the valet could not accomodate me, but I was directed to an open air lot a three minute walk away. It was much cheaper to park in the lot than the hotel parking (if you are on a budget you should consider that).

We had an open suite with a kitchen area (very well equipped), a king size bed, pull out couch, big TV and a very nice bathroom. Good water pressue in the shower. Bed was very comfortable with plenty of pillows. We did not get a great view, however, the City is still beautiful at night. If a view is important, perhaps call the desk and let them know instead of booking online.

No bar or restaurant in the hotel. They serve free breakfast, eggs, french toast, bacon, potatoes, cereal, milk, etc., on the buffett. I found the coffee to be terrible, but that could just be me. The front desk was VERY helpful and attentive. I would choose to stay here again. I think I paid just under $200 a night, but it was worth it for the convenient location and the nice room.

My only issue with the hotel is that on the weekends they clean the rooms until 6pm. Although we left for the day at 11, when we returned at 4 the room was still not clean. I called the desk and they said they are still in the process of cleaning. I had them bring fresh towels but they did not make up my room since we needed a nap before heading out again that night. So, if a clean room is what you want, stop by the desk on your way out and let them know what time you are returning so that they can clean yours first.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Karen H, General Manager at Residence Inn Toronto Downtown/Entertainment District, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
We were delighted to read your recent posting and that had a great time and also the opportunity to stay with us! Yes, the location is perfect for all areas of the entertainment district as we are at the pulse of it all!

There is a bar/lounge in the hotel, perfect for sundowners or to merely relax by the fireplace, or chat with either Randolph or Gerrard, our two amazing bartenders, always willing to engage with our guests.

We would be delighted to welcome you back and have the opportunity to say hello once again.

With Marriott passion, we thank you again, Karen and the RI team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

Very comfortable for a family stay. Room was clean and actually like an apartment. We were very comfortable and I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. Hot breakfast was included. Many Toronto hotels offered only continental but represent it as a hot breakfast.

• Stayed November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Karen H, General Manager at Residence Inn Toronto Downtown/Entertainment District, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Thank you so much, as a very valued Marriott Loyalty Rewards member, for your most positive feedback regarding your three day stay with us! Customer Satisfaction is paramount to our success as we continually strive for 'Service Excellence'.
Hopefully you have another opportunity to stay with us in the future and enjoy the Entertainment District once again.

In appreciation,

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

A three night stay at the Residence Inn was comfortable and relaxing. I was in the studio suite with a king bed and I felt like it was a mini-apartment. The view from the window wasn't very interesting since my room overlooked the hydro infrastructure.
Pros: Free wifi, in-room kitchen (I saved half a sandwich in the fridge and used the microwave to re-heat for a late night snack), flat screen TV with very easy to rotate stand, water pressure in shower, free breakfast (scrambled eggs were good with salsa and the breakfast meats varied each day). Price: I stayed free with credit card points. 75,000 points for three nights. Location: easy walk to downtown restaurants on King Street, the CN Tower, Air Canada Centre and Yonge Street.
Cons: $40 per day for parking, view from room (perhaps rooms on the other side of the hotel would have a better scene).
I did see families staying at the hotel and I can imagine a suite with a bedroom would be nice as well.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We certainly appreciated your most positive posting of your stay with us whilst visiting Toronto!

Thank you for the feedback as we continue to strive for excellence in our guests satisfaction! We certainly are located in a most convenient location with everything at your finger tips!

Hopefully you will be able to make another visit to our city recently voted number 2 in the world!

Kind regards,

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

We found plenty to be happy about at the Residence Inn on Wellington St. The staff was very customer-service oriented, the rooms were spacious and the bathrooms were separate. In addition, the pool and gym were clean, there were several evening socials which helped out our budget and free coffee and tea service throughout the day. We were traveling with two children and a dog and we encountered no problems. The front desk and dining room staff were all friendly and I can't say enough about the valets (Mario & Michael) and the concierge (Randolph). They truly made us feel like family friends.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
What a delight to read out your comments on TripAdvisor at our daily morning meeting!

We were so happy that you and the family enjoyed your stay with us, including your dog! Kudos to Mario, Leonard and our unique barman Randolph, who no doubt showed a magic trick or two to your children! We aim to exceed a guests experience with us and it would appear that our team did just that, your feedback is invaluable!

Thank you again and I hope that in the coming months you have occasion to visit again with us!

Warm Marriott wishes

Naples, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

Easy access to east/west major highway.Convenient to Toronto night life. Within walking distance of good restaurants.Reasonably priced.Pleasant and service minded staff.Spacious and clean rooms with amenities. Free wi-fi (who does that anymore) Excellent complimentary breakfast. Need I say more!

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you so much for your recent positive review on TripAdvisor!

Your feedback as a guest, is so very valuable to us as we continue to strive for service excellence and adding to the comfort of our guests experience, whilst staying at the Residence Inn downtown Toronto.

Hopefully one day you will have the opportunity to return and enjoy our hospitality once again!

Thank you again!

In hospitality
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

It should already be clear that I am a disgruntled guest, but I will try to be as unbiased as possible.
Sure, its a well equipped room at a great location, but so are 50 other hotels in Downtown Toronto. For the nightly rates they charge, I expected more. However, as I said, the rooms were good enough.
I first had a problem with the Wifi connection since the signal was almost barely detectable at the rooms door so I called the main desk which redirected me to the "IT maintenance" that suggested that I turn the device off and on again. After about 30 seconds of their time, they decided that there isn't much that can be done. I did not get a call from the front desk to check if my problem has been resolved and consequently had to relocate the sitting area to the floor by the door.
Furthermore, I was charged a 250$ fine/cleaning fee for smoking in the room. I came to understand that most hotel rooms in Toronto are smoking-free, however:
1. I asked the manager to try to spot a single no-smoking sign from the hotels entrance all the way to the room's bathroom, he failed. As a tourist, I should be notified clearly by signs in my room/lobby or verbally by any of the numerous hotel employees that the hotel is non-smoking and hence would refrain from doing so.
2. Not that I denied smoking in the room at any point but technically there is no proof that I actually smoked in the room. I could have just denied it and refused to pay the fine but I expected the staff to call the police and did not want to escalate the matter over 250$.
3. The guys at the front desk were rude, unhelpful, stubborn and inhospitable even though I remained calm and polite throughout the discussion. Guests at a Marriott shouldn't be treated with hostility.
The manager suggested that I pay the cost of cleaning the room which was.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your personal feedback regarding your stay with us and we have readdressed to your points, with the departments concerned.

For your kind information, it is brand standard for all Marriott Hotels are 100% non-smoking throughout North America.Toronto is also a designated smoke free city, to the extent, should you be dining outside on a patio, those too are non-smoking areas. Our website lists we are a 100% non-smoking facility and also it is written on all our key packets, given at check-in.

I do hope you enjoy the rest of your travels in North America!

Kind regards,
Sterling Heights, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

We went to Toronto to see Les Miserables at the Princess of Wales theatre. This hotel was just a few blocks from the theatre and great restaurant options on King Street. It is in the shadow of the CN Tower. Our room was spacious and had a full kitchen. The bathroom sink was separate from the shower/toilet so that made mornings easier. We had a queen bed and pull out sofa. The sofa mattress was very thin, which is fine for children, but would not be a good option for adults. They had a hostess seat you for the free breakfast, which resulted in a bit of a wait, but kept the breakfast room from getting overly crowded. Good options for breakfast, too. My only complaint was that there wasn't enough towels/wash clothes in the room when we checked in. The reservation was for 4 people, but we only had 3 bath towels and 2 wash clothes? Also, the wait for an elevator can be lengthy.

Room Tip: We were on the 15th floor facing the CN Tower and the room was very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
Karen H, General Manager at Residence Inn Toronto Downtown/Entertainment District, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
It is with great appreciation to read your positive comments and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay and the theatre that Toronto offers.

Enjoy your travels!