“Management needs training”

Residence Inn Toronto Downtown/Entertainment District
Ranked #24 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I have stayed at many Marriott properties from various parts of the world. The last one was a Residence Inn in Vancouver. It was a beautiful property and what made the stay even better was the staff. They went above and beyond at every opportunity and always had a smile on their faces.

Unfortunately, at the Toronto Residence Inn, the staff were far, far from what I have come to expect from Marriott. They were not friendly at all, never a smile on their faces, and they were unprofessional. The manager, Karen, obviously lacks the professional skills to properly manage a hotel staff. The Valets were just okay, but not professional; scuff marks left on car from their shoes and fingerprints on windows (I had just washed a waxed my car). For $47 per night I expected better quality service. They even gave me the wrong set of keys and didn't even bother to see my valet ticket to confirm I was in fact the owner of the vehicle. Also, I witnessed one valet driving a guests car erratically...totally unprofessional.

The room was nice, but some of the decor was a bit dated. There was urine in the toilet (previous guest) when we first arrived. My wife forgot to tell me about it, otherwise I would have been on the phone to the front desk. This tells me that the lack of quality service is widespread, and I put all the blame on the manager, Karen.

Luckily I didn't have to pay for the room as I used my Marriott Reward points. I doubt I would stay here again at this price point. If it was managed like the one in Vancouver, I wouldn't hesitate making a future reservation, but with the current management, NO WAY!

Be aware that the breakfast is by far the worst I have had at a Marriott property. I read other reviews where people were saying it's an excellent breakfast. I have to wonder if those reviewers have ever stayed at a better hotel. There were only a few selections for the hot food, and everything else was just plain and lacking anything I would consider to be good quality. Again, the management is to blame for their lack of knowledge on the little things that make a hotel great.

Lobby was TINY! There was no one to open the front doors when we arrived and the overall feeling when entering the hotel was 'Have we made a big mistake??!!'. Luckily the room was spacious and fairly nice, though as noted, some of the furnishings were on the cheap/old side.

If my family and I return to Toronto, we will probably go with the Ritz Carlton or some other hotel where they know how to treat their guests well.

Shame on you, Karen!!!

3  Thank ChinaFencesitter
Karen H, General Manager at Residence Inn Toronto Downtown/Entertainment District, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for your very detailed critque of your stay recent stay with us. My very sincere apologies, your comfort and care is paramount to us as we strive for 'service excellence.'
I would be delighted, if you have the time, to contact me personally or if you could provide contact details I could reach you at to further discuss. Without you our guests we quite simply have nothing.
Marriott does indeed have very strict guidelines and expectations for providing the highest deliverables, which is what makes the brand so successful at serving joy to our guests 24/7,on a global landscape.
We are a passionate team and I am truly mortified that a perception purveyed that the ball was dropped! I hope that we can have a dialogue moving forward?
Wishing you a most pleasant week and safe travels.
With gratitude,
Karen

Write a ReviewReviews (1,700)

Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

This is a very convenient location in the financial district, three blocks from the CN Tower, and close to the waterfront. The breakfast area was really, really busy in the morning. We had to eat breakfast in our room. You'll also pay $47 for valet parking, your only option with this hotel.

The fitness room doesn't have that much equipment, and much of it is also not professional quality. That said, it was never busy when I went there. I was usually the only person there.

Stayed: July 2014

What a great start to a Monday morning to read your most positive review and the delight of your experience staying with us! Thank you so much for your valued feedback and we hope that you have the opportunity to visit us once again in the near future! We love being in the heartbeat of the entertainment area of the city.
Enjoy your travels!

Warm regards, Karen

Reviewed 11 July 2014

This hotel has many great things about it, but the experience is ruined by what I can only describe as a breakfast disaster.
I have been Marriott Platinum Elite for 5 years running, and am very familiar with Residence Inns. If the property is in a good location, and has positive reviews, I will always choose the Residence Inn, because breakfast is a hassle if I have to stop in a local restaurant. However, this is the most screwed-up breakfast situation I've ever seen.
Imagine 40 or 50 people lined up all through the lobby, in front of the elevators, past the front desk, waiting for the opportunity to gain entrance to the breakfast room, weekdays, saturdays, sundays.....always. Imagine a buffet line that snakes through the room, between tables, and doubles back on itself in a desperate attempt to process the hordes of people attempting to eat before they go out into this wonderful city.
I know that this is not a management problem, it is a capacity problem..... but management must solve it somehow. There is a lovely young women trying to mange the crowd, and she takes a lot of static from the crowd. The people in the room (that waited a half hour for admittance) all feel underfoot and unable to relax. My wife said it was too stressful to eat on our third day, and she is able to adapt to any situation.
The problem is simple....this is a 24 story hotel that discharges hundreds of people into a small, 12 x 40 foot breakfast room that can not feasibly handle them. The room is filled with obstacles that limit its comfortable capacity to 30+/-. Management has closed the 2 other entrances into the room, in an attempt to control traffic patterns. They announce to the crowd that if someone is willing to take their food upstairs, they can cut the line. This makes people more angry, and people at tables feel they must get out as fast as possible. Trust me, it is ridiculous.
Management - remove the center-of-room fireplace! Remove the enormous overstuffed chairs! Use more effective seating! Organize entry into the room through another entrance, so the line does not snake between tables! Or better yet, simply re-brand the hotel so everyone does not get afree breakfast....then the space would be adequate.
Ironically, I have to add that the hotel is otherwise fine, and in a great location....but I can't get past the breakfast "curse" that this hotel has.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jarakus

We certainly appreciated your review and you will be pleased to know that we are indeed having a refurbish to the breakfast, bar/lounge area with new furniture, that will enhance the seating area later this year. Some of our guests also appreciate the opportunity to take the food back to the comfort of their suites as an option, welcomed by the brand.
May I also take the time to thank you for your years of loyalty as a prestigous Marriott Platinum rewards member! It is your patronage that makes Marriott one of the most sought after brands in the world.
If I can be of any further assistance at anytime please don't hesitate to reach out to me personally.

Wishing you a most pleasant week.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Located in the Toronto downtown district this hotel is an easy walking distance within the CN Tower, Rogers Center and similar. If you are in a walking mood you can reach the more busy shopping parts of the city in around 20-30 minutes. Right around the corner is a Cora's breakfast diner if you want to spoil yourself to tasty breakfast food (it should be noted that they have a number of of healthy options as well).

The room itself was very comfortable with a well equipped kitchen area including a dishwasher as well as a large fridge and freezer. Overall the rooms are quite spacious rooms and certainly very comfortable for several good nights of sleep.

There is no room service or such since this is more along the lines of a self service hotel. There are even washing machines distributed throughout the floors. Service is very good and the cleaning maids and maintenance service does a great job of keeping the place fresh.

They do serve a nice enough breakfast down at the bottom floor. It has several options, both hot and cold, which will keep most people happy. At busy times the breakfast area will get cramped pretty quick. Which also means that the staff have a tendency to clean up and remove your food (finished or not) somewhat hastily at times. Keep an eye on your seat if you get up and get a glass of orange juice, or someone else might be in it when you return. This is only a small gripe, plus you can always take a tray with food up to your room if it is crowded.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Greetings to you in Sweden! Thank you so much for your most postive review on TripAdvisor and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and reflected the unique advantages of staying in an extended stay property, with added advantages over a regular hotel bedroom.
I trust if you should venture to Toronto in the near future we would have the opportunity to welcome you back!
Wishing you a wonderful week and thank you for being with us it is greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel was our home base for our 5 days in Toronto - we couldn't have made a better choice! It is located in the downtown area a short walk from the CN tower, the Rogers Center, the waterfront, and the entertainment district. The rooms are large, equipped with a full kitchen, clean and well maintained. The beds are comfortable. The breakfast buffet is included with the room and includes both hot and cold options, fruit, eggs pancakes, veggies yogurt, oatmeal - the works - wonderful way to start the day and save on meals.

There is valet parking available, you would be better served parking at a local lot and saving on parking too.

We would highly recommend the Residence and will definitely return here when we visit Toronto.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

A great thank you to providing a great review about your stay with us! Certainly our location and having a spacious suite with kitchen facilites, in the heart of the city, makes for a comfortable and value-added experience.
We truly appreciate your patronage and hope on your travels from the States, Toronto can welcome you back in the near future.

Wishing you an amazing summer and thank you again, from myself and the team.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Just left the hotel this morning. Wanted a big friendly open space to have the family over while I was in from Vancouver. It was awesome and everyone who came said they would love to live here! The location is perfect for all of the things that Toronto has to offer and the staff, while busy, never seem to ignore you.smiles and nods go a long way to me! It was comfortable enough to make my grandson call it "GRAMMAS HOUSE" and plush enough to really feel you got more than your moneys worth..No-One ever talks in the reviews about the space and the FANTASTIC! onsuite kitchen. How cool would this be to cook up a dinner after going to St Lawrence Market.If I had the time I would have! Close to everything..great staff--awesome rooms!

Room Tip: I faced the cbc building on the east side ..hotel is right off of blue jays way so im thinking south...
2  Thank robinturriff
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Cannot say enough good things about this hotel! It was located in a great part of downtown and was within easy walking distance to the CN Tower, Blue Jays arena, and Hockey Hall of Fame. Our bedroom was clean and spacious and included a king bed, sofa bed, and full kitchen. Free WiFi was included as was a complimentary breakfast and manager's reception (available only certain evenings during the week). The hotel service was second to none, and my husband and I were especially in awe of the staff who worked tirelessly to maintain the breakfast buffet and manager's reception. It was a holiday week and the hotel was packed, but the buffet area was always clean, food was plentiful, and staff were busy keeping tables cleared to accommodate the large number of guests moving through the area. The hostess at breakfast was a nice touch - she greeted us with a smile and we saw her pitching in to clear tables so that guests could be quickly seated. If it wasn't for such a hard working group of people, the whole breakfast buffet/manager's reception could have been a total disaster!

A couple of tips: If you are driving into Toronto from the US/Niagara Falls area, be prepared for a lot of traffic around 3-6 PM. There is construction work on Gardiner Expressway which leads you to the downtown area and it seems to quickly back-up during rush hour. We got to downtown around 4 pm and traffic was crazy. If you can time your trip, I'd suggest getting there by 3 pm or wait until later in the evening, around 7 pm. Note, however, if you choose the latter option, you may not be able to enjoy the complimentary Manager's Reception (simple food buffet and beverages) depending on the day of the week you arrive. From the calendar posted on our room refrigerator, it looks like they are offering the reception every Tuesday and Wednesday night through July, and I'm guessing that is consistent with the rest of the Summer. You may want to call the hotel to find out for sure. If you're traveling with family, you can certainly cut down on food cost if you plan your visit to coincide with the manager's reception.

Have fun!