“More 4 than 5 stars”

Ranked #1 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Sydney, Australia
“More 4 than 5 stars”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

Our stay at the Hazelton didn't start well. The guy at the front desk was pompous and indifferent. He advised that we were upgraded and handed us the key to the room. On seeing it we returned to reception and requested a room that didn't face a dumpster (aren't we demanding?!). He huffed and puffed giving us two options. The room we originally booked and another that was $50 more than our $450+ rate.

We chose the room category that we had booked. It was a standard (around 40 sq m) room facing Yorkville Avenue. It had a Parisienne balcony with a view of some trees and the adjacent retail/office complex. Lucky it was sunny outside - I'm sure these rooms are very drab on grey winter days.

The room was quite dark, basic and rather tired. There was a package PTAC A/C unit in a cupboard by the window. These A/C systems are rather noisy and usually found in 2 star hotels such as Hampton Inns.

The marble lined bathroom was a reasonable size with bath and separate shower. It had a heated floor - but it was 35 degC outside. Good linens. All the wardrobes had a strange odour that I couldn't identify. The vision on the TV was distorted. We stayed four nights and found that the staff did not replenish the toiletries every day. Not too swish either - L'Occitane. Why be so stingy - you are paying $450 a night? The coffee service in the room was filter - these days in a 5 star hotel you expect a Nespresso machine or similar.

On the positive side The Hazelton is in a great location. The lobby is beautifully designed with a great art collection. The restaurant is a lively place and the food is excellent. The black cod on the dinner menu was very good. Great breakfast too. The genY hostesses at the restaurant had an attitude that was pretty irritating.

The concierge was very pleasant and helpful.

The Hazelton might be 5 stars on paper, however, in my opinion it's currently no more than a 4 star product.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms that overlook the lane behind the hotel
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elysia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Greek first
  • Serbian first
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

The hotel is well located. All great shops and restaurants right out the door. However, the hotel is very dark and it is getting tired. You'll need to wear the complimentary slippers. Hopefully, the carpets aren't as dirty as they look but you certainly don't want to walk in bare feet and then get into bed. The bathroom is well- appointed and the tub in nice and deep. I had a view of a brick wall and I was on the top floor! The gym is fairly well equipped but in the basement with no natural light. The resturant feels too big and open- everyone wants to sit along the walls and once those places are gone you are stuck in the middle where you feel a bit on display. In summary, certainly not worth the price and not up to its reputation.

Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Betty-Ann H
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

The rooms are amazing, we stayed in a suite. Very spacious, comfortable beds and incredible bathroom. We didn't want to leave. The room service was great. Only recommendation I can say is that the in-room coffee isn't the greatest, but just order espresso or cappuccino from room service with your breakfast, it's fantastic!
I have to say that all the staff went over and above to accommodate our every need. The valet were so nice and the Front Desk staff pleasant and informative. The concierge staff booked great dinners for us and were so helpful. We also used the spa and got massages and the RMT's were excellent. Love the location and we kept coming back to drop off our shopping bags and go back out. We will definitely be making this an annual trip to celebrate our anniversary.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JohnnyVegas73
Las Cruces, NM
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012

Just returned from Toronto and stay at the Hazelton with my family of 5. Had a great time and in a perfect location! Everything about the stay was great except for the misinformation that we received from the concierge regarding the time to leave to the airport on our departure date. I specifically asked him about the bike event that resulted in one of the freeways being closed and whether or not we needed to leave sooner and he said it would not affect the time to get to the airport. It took us over 2 hours to get to the airport in a traffic jam even taking alternate routes! By the time we went through customs at a very confusing, slow airport (over 3 hours later) we arrived at the gate tired and frustrated just before the plane took off! It almost ruined a perfect vacation. The concierge at such a prestigious hotel should have known this. Great Hotel though....

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

I was a long-standing (100 nights+) visitor at the Four Seasons across the street for years, but as the building became more and more tired, I just couldn't bring myself to stay there any more, no matter how lovely the staff were.

Finally bit the bullet and moved across to the Hazelton - what a lovely surprise. Great staff (front desk and concierge) and comfortable spacious contemporary rooms. Very glad I did. Great location - pool and gym a bit small and oddly located in the basement but fine for a quick workout.

Room had a lovely little balcony and even in December/January (I stayed 3 times in two months) it was nice to get a little fresh air.

Crowd in the bar in the evenings not exactly cool, but drinks and snacks were tasty, with quality champagne by the glass, which I think is rare in Canada.

It will be interesting to see how this property fares once the Four Seasons reopens down the street.

Room Tip: Rooms with balconies that face onto Hazelton Avenue (not Yorkville) are very nice.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
North Hampton, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

Lovely small hotel ideally located in downtown Toronto. Rooms are luxurious, with comfortable beds, high end linens, and wonderful bathrooms. Service level is friendly, props and courteous. Hotel has great bar with late night scene. Great people watching. Hotel is not overly expensive given quality.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank WorldSnob55
North Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

This hotel came highly recommended. The staff was very welcoming and extremely professional. The Concierge Desk was very helpful with directions and assistance. My room was a Luxury Deluxe with a balcony. The location of the hotel is great! The shops and restaurants are just a walk away! We had dinner at ONE Restaurant and the food was amazing! The ONLY downside during my stay was that it was Victoria Day (a holiday in Canada) and the restaurant ran out of fish due to the holiday. I managed to order the last of the Black Cod which was absolutely tasty. The Hazelton is Toronto's only five-star hotel in the city and I can see why. The Four Seasons Hotel which is moving down the street might give The Hazelton a run for its money, but I doubt it. The turn-down service is a nice touch; not only do they turn down your bed, but turn your plasma screen TV towards your bed; close your drapes (which are electronic by the way); place a towel at the foot of your bed and offer house slippers. The floors in the bathroom are heated also, so no cold feet in the AM! I highly recommend this hotel if you can afford it since you get what you pay for! I really can't say enough about The Hazelton. They also have a private screening room which is exceptional with seating for 25. I also heard their spa services are heavenly, but unfortunately I didn't have time to check it out. Please contact me if you need more info about this hotel. I highly recommend you stay there. I think they offer such outstanding service because the hotel is only 4 floors high. They have enough staff to accommodate everyone in a fast and timely manner; not like some high-rise hotels with inadequate staff.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, ask for a luxury deluxe room which is located at the front of the hotel. The...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business