“Great Service”

Ranked #1 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Montreal
“Great Service”
Reviewed 24 October 2009

Got to the hotel, front desk person was very friendly and welcoming. Got to my room, trendy and very comfortable.
The hotel is well located for my business needs and the Concierge refer me to a great restaurant where I was greet by my name! Probably the magic touch of the concierge!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Greek first
  • Serbian first
hong kong
Reviewed 16 October 2009

I am late in writing this review but am doing so now almost one year later because the more I travel at comparable hotels, the more I feel compelled to speak out against the way that I and my family was treated by The Hazelton Hotel staff.

I never stayed here, so I cannot comment on the rooms or facilities. What I can say is that I booked a room here for my mother months in advance (and pre-paid via credit card), as I was scheduled to travel elsewhere during her trip to Toronto. I paid for daily breakfast and asked them to be sure that she knew the location and times. They never told her. I also asked them to do all they could to make her feel comfortable, as she is older and rarely travels. In fact, they barely had the time of day for the one or two questions she had.

On top of this, on the night before she was to check in, a staff member sent me an email saying they had to re-process my credit card and if I didn't call them back the room would be cancelled. (This was after they had confirmed to me that all was fine.) I was working in Africa at the time where there were no landlines or stable Internet connections, but still in a panic for my mother I did my best to get through to them, which took me hours. When eventually we spoke (on my cell phone after I was able to recharge it and at my cost) it took more back and forth over a period of hours before the matter was sorted - or at least I had hoped it was. I went to sleep at 3 am without any confirmation from them, or even so much as an apology.

It is not trendy, splashy rooms and an expensive price that makes a hotel luxurious - these are just the window dressing for the impeccable service and professionalism that a client expects when s/he shells out a tidy sum. To this day, I cannot believe the manner in which we as clients were treated. The irony is that the hotel I was staying in at the time in the Congo (at a fraction of the price) was up against some serious logistic and infrastructure challenges and still managed to care for me like I mattered.

Now one year later, I sincerely hope The Hazelton has learned to make the most out of all it has going for it. It is however too late for me, as you can be sure I will be staying at and recommending the nearby Four Seasons and Park Hyatt, neither of which has ever let me down.

• Stayed December 2008
4 Thank itinerantHongKong
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2009

My husband and I visited Toronto for 12 days in September, and decided to stay at the Hazelton Hotel. It is apparently the only true 5* hotel in Toronto. Well, i'm not really sure it is all it is really meant to be. Whilst the decor was very nice, and the room large and comfortable, and the bathroom very nice indeed, we do think it is to be truthful highly over-rated and overpriced. It is expensive because it is the Yorkville area of the city, which should really have its name changed to 'Poserville', because that is all it is full of. We were kept awake at night by drivers cruising down the Avenue, hoping to impress, in their Porsches, BMW's and Mercs. The road was one way, and we would see the same cars go past time and time again, hoping to be seen. It is sad, and annoying when you are trying to sleep. Also the offices over the narrow road from us, could see straight into the rooms - so no privacy.

If you do stay there, and I am not saying that you shouldn't, do not bother eating at the 'ONE' restaurant, which is attached to the hotel, although independant. The food is really highly over rated and definately over priced. I had the Alaskan Black Cod, which they are meant to be known for, and to be honest, it was horrible. The service was not at all professional or slick as you would expect.

We only ate there the once, and that was enough. On the other hand, we did have 4 fantastic breakfasts/brunch at the Four Seasons, which is literally opposite. You eat in the Studio Cafe on the 2nd floor. The food was very good, and the service was excellent. They should go over the road and show the waiting staff at 'ONE' how it should be done. Another great place to eat was The Bloor Street Diner, which is Southbound on Bloor St. They are excellent value for money, which most places in Canada are, and the food is very good. I would definately recommend the Diner Cobb Salad.

As far at the Hazelton Hotel is concerned, it is a nice hotel, but not really what it thinks it is, or is trying to be. Whilte the location is nice, we were out most days, so could have stayed elsewhere. I would not say don't stay there, but I also wouldn't say that you must!

One final recommendation is afternoon tea at Le Meridian Hotel. It was lovely, and you can treat yourself to a glass of Champagne to go with it if you like. A couple of the other hotels do afternoon tea, and we did try them, but nothing touched Le Meridian.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Judicious
Los Angeles
Reviewed 29 August 2009

So, here's the deal: the Hazelton has good service and the location is great. However, half the rooms are REALLY dark facing another building. The dark colors of the rooms make it much worse. You cannot really tell that from their web site, so you kind of have to come stay once, figure out which room category is the right one to book, then come back. Not a great experience. Having said that, Toronto does not have great hotels to begin with, so not sure where to stay. I don't fully comprehend why so many mega cities cannot get a couple of great hotels. Go figure.

Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Transperancy
NYC
Reviewed 12 August 2009

Had the opportunity to stay at the Hazelton with my Fiancee this past weekend. Coming from NYC, where there are many fine hotels, I can honestly say that the Hazelton far exceeds any other establishment we have stayed at in the world.

Top notch service, with attention to detail in the little things that really put it over the top. Not to mention rooms that are out of this world and unbelieveable breakfast!

It is worth going to Toronto just to stay at this hotel alone.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
atlanta
Reviewed 11 August 2009

First of all it's a 5 star. amazing. outstanding service. heated floors. giant bathtub. balcony view of toronto's hot spots.... did i mention the remote control blinds?

the bed was fantastic & the lobster spoons were incredible.... I will be back.

well worth the price.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 July 2009

I was brought to Toronto on business, but I now plan on returning for pleasure. And when I do, I plan on staying at The Hazelton. Their guest rooms are exceptionally stylish and you feel like a celebrity as soon as you walk in the lobby. The location in the Yorkville area gives an abundance of shopping, nightlife, and dining options. I stayed on a Wednesday and I was suprised to see how busy the bar, lounge, and restaurant were. Even so, the dining service was prompt and the food extraordinary good. I wish I could have stayed longer, but all the more reason to visit there again. I recommend this hotel to anyone who wants 5 Star Service with in a trendy and exciting hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business