“Caring is Sharing!”
Review of Planet Traveler

Planet Traveler
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Reversal of the average phrase works with this Hostel because they care for their customers, the environment and their surroundings, meaning a good word needs to be spread. Planet Traveler is ideally located near Downtown Toronto, with excellent transport links nearby to the CN Tower and other popular tourist destinations. I visited Canada, the Ontario province, for a month on an expedition, lasting one month, and this Hostel was the first accommodation we stayed at. Despite the Hostel not usually accepting large groups (there were sixteen of us) they were highly welcoming and made sure we were comfortable. The decor is very modern and reflects well looked after establishment, aware of the impact it has on the environment. The rooms were fairly spacious, equipped with lockers to store valuables, and the beds are awesomely comfortable. On the roof, there is a roof garden which provides the most staggering views of Toronto, especially at night, as well as indoor and outdoor seating, complete with kitchen! The staff are friendly and always willing to help, each and every staff member an asset to Planet Traveler. Overall, this is a superb Hostel and if you're looking for a place to stay with reasonable rates, awesome rooms and facilities and friendly staff, this is the one!

Room Tip: Different floors are different room types. I believe Level 1 is GIRLS ONLY, Level 2 is GUYS ONLY and...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

I booked 2 nights in the Planet Traveler and it was awesome. Breakfast until 1pm, clean rooms and a beautiful view from their roof terrace. Also te location was great. Few minutes walking to Little Italy, Chinatown or Kensington Market. I had nice time there.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I can't say enough nice things about the amenities in this hostel. It's the newest one in Toronto and boy, can you tell. It has quite a modern, minimalist fit out that gives it a clean, uncluttered feel. Each room has it's own ensuite bathroom, and each level has a couple of extra toilets on it so you don't have to wait it you're busting to use the facilities.

The staff were some of the most professional I have come across. They actually seemed to be working! They kept the kitchen in a state of cleanliness all day, washing and putting away dishes that naughty guests didn't do themselves! They were all very willing to answer any questions and help in any way possible and I received the best introductory tour to a hostel ever. The guy just seemed so stoked to show me his favourite part - the rooftop.

The free breakfast they provide has more variety than hotels I have stayed at! They had no less than 15 varieties of cereal, as well as a full range of bagels. (sesame, poppy, plain, whole wheat, everything, blueberry and raisin toast varieties) as well as grain bread for toast and a variety of jams and PB spreads available, all the way til 1pm if you had a big night out and don't feel like getting up early for it (or you want 2 breakfasts!) Tea and Coffee are also available all day.

The hostel also puts on a variety of 'events' so you can meet fellow travellers, Friday night is burger night on the rooftop and I believe Monday night is movie night? Possibly other events too, I was only there for a weekend stay. These are advertised with a flier on all corridor doors so quite obvious/clear/not a secret sect of long term stayers.

Location wise it's right next to the Kensington Market, which was probably one of my favourite parts of Toronto and just a short walk to Chinatown. Between these, you have cheap groceries galore.

If there was one flaw with the pace it was just that the 6 bed girls dorm I stayed in was quite small, if more than one person had a large suitcase you would be struggling to have space to move around.

I will definitely be returning to this hostel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Hayley Z
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I have stayed in my fair share of hostels and this is hands down the best so far. The owner Anthony is the most relaxed and kind owner I have met, and he also cooks a mean BBQ! The rooms are small but always very clean and well kept, and for me plenty of room. The rooftop is just indescribable with one of the best views. The staff members are all amazing, a big shout out to Teika (sorry if that's wrong), Iggy, Ondjey (again sorry if wrong) and last but by no means least the amazing Hilary. These people make the hostel that much better, the staff are flawless. I will be going back, maybe too much. Everyone should try this place at least once, incredibly enjoyable.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 June 2013 via mobile

We came across Planet Traveler when our other hostel (Global Village Backpackers) was dirty and horrible. We were desperate for somewhere to stay on our first night in Toronto and, although PT couldn't offer the 5 night stay we were after due to being fully booked, they were able to provide a private double for one night. Which we were massively thankful for!

The service was excellent. We were showed around the entire place by a friendly host who was on his first day in the job and I was impressed by everything that was on offer. A laundry area, a big kitchen, private spaces to skype or ring friends/family, apple computers, comfortable seating area with widescreen, bar and roof terrace and, for us, one plush bathroom shared between only 3 private rooms!!

Ok so the location isn't particularly central but it's on the Spadina streetcar line and gets you downtown for just $3! I honestly think it was worth the $90 a night for such a great place. You're never left wanting anything at all.
The service, in particular, is tops with staff helping out wherever they can.

My only con was that we couldn't stay longer, but you can hardly fault a place for being all booked up!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 22 June 2013

I don't feel the overall rating here accurately reflects this hostel.

Firstly, it is clean, and the staff are friendly. The ensuite bathrooms are nice.

However, the location isn't that great, it's quite a walk to the centre.

Secondly, the room we had was really small. It was pretty squashed.

My biggest criticism though is the vibe. The hostel staff seemed pretty complacent about organising events. It was a Thursday night and they didn't have anything organised. The place closes down around 11pm and there are no staff around at night. I had issues with the heating and there was nobody to speak to.

They push the fact that they have a roof terrace. It's meant to have a bar, but the bar is closed because they don't have a license. The staff claimed it would be difficult to get a license, but I've stayed in another hostel in Toronto which had a bar no problem (HI-Hostel).

Overall, this hostel is OK, but it's probably not the most fun hostel you'll ever stay in.

Room Tip: We stayed in a 5 bed dorm. It was really small and squashed.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Maxmax_o
Reviewed 20 June 2013

We arrived in May and pre booked our private room until July 2nd which we were told it was ok at the time. One Saturday we were out and our friend moved out of our room for an email saying could we report to the reception we may need to be moved around. So myself and my partner went back to the hostel to find out the problem. They had double booked our room and told is they didn't have us in the system booked in until July and that we had not paid for 11 days (which is a load of crap) we paid on time every Tuesday and its quite expensive too. We were asked to show our receipts that we had paid so my partner went up to the room to get the receipts off the window sill to find that all our stuff had been packed up and put into the hall! He was horrified that they has touched our belongings. In the mean time I had found 2 receipts from the last two payments made. The staff were unable to accommodate us and told us to pack our bags and leave. We were told to pack our bags in the hall in front of everyone staying there which was so embarrassing making is out to have done something wrong! I've never been so humiliated. I only had great things to say about the hostel until the way we were treated that day. Overall the hostel is very clean. Rooms are very small and over priced.
Out of principal I would not stay here again

• Stayed: May 2013