“Wonderful Experience”

Planet Traveler
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
“Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

All the staff were increadably helpful and kind. When I arrived (late mind you, as I got lost on the way and walked a mile in the wrong direction) the man at the front desk checked me in and gave me a small tour. He showed me the kitchen, the laundry, and then took me to my room. It was a mixed dorm but I was the only girl. I never felt unsafe though and made friends with a very kind Austrian fellow. After showing me my room and the rooftop I was left to get settled. I was booked for five nights, two of those in the mixed dorm, and the others in a female dorm. The staff was very kind about my room switching. On my last night I had to leave at 4 am but the front desk did not open until 6 am. I asked what do about checking out, as I would need to leave my key and bed sheets somewhere. She said to slip the key under the door to the front desk and to leave my sheets in front of the door. Very kind and helpful.

The hostel itself was clean and up to date. The staff cleaned every day and the rooms stayed pretty clean. The rooms are a bit small and the lockers are as well. But for me I was able to slip my suitcase under my bed, as was my bunk mate.

All in all, I found this to be a very nice hostel for a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: If you're trying to use the wifi in your room, you may want to point your device near the door a...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Taylor G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Private Room is right at front of hostel with 3 large windows facing main road. Having people knock and hang out, with some glass between your room and the public. Apparently you need to book more then 4 months in advance if you want a room that isn't right at the Main Street street level. Its as though the room was a shop front. Rooms were basic, and but new. Room was fairly clean. Rooms are not ready till 3pm. Hostel does seem new.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Buzza626
Contagem, MG
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

This hostel is a nice place, for sure. But I have to say: they could have more interesting activities at the hostel. There is an amazing rooftop patio with an awesome view of the Toronto but they have just a BBQ and a Movie activity at that place. And there is also a pub structure on the rooftop that is not used to sell drinks. So, it has a great potential to be better than it is.
About the staff, some are very professional and friendly and others, not that much.

Room Tip: If you don't like air conditioners this is not a good place to stay in. The ac is automatic and...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Ligia S
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

The place is ok, the dorms are small, but you can survive. However the employees are not nice at all, specially the owner of the place, what was enough for me give just one star.
They made a barbecue for the guests and the owner told me that he will not serve me because I was using my cellphone, if I want to get something hang up the call and come back. What was stupid, I was talk with someone in Brazil, I did not have other time to talk.
The biggest rude guy I've ever met in my life, I will never come back to this place just because this guy!

• Stayed July 2014
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed here with 3 other friends. It's probably the best hostel I've stayed in so far! The rooms and en suite bathrooms were extremely clean. The beds were comfortable with nice (and warm) duvets. Free WiFi throughout the hostel. Free breakfast (good variety as well). Awesome rooftop with good views. Free barbecue dinner on Saturdays on the rooftop. Good place to meet other travellers. Seriously can't think of anything bad about Planet Traveller. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Bonzj
Ellezelles, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

We have been there for a week. People are friendly, some activities are organized like BBQ, cinema, local pubs tour. Breakfast till 1pm! It's clean. However you can hear street's noise from your room, and beds are a bit noisy.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank debackerl
Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

I went here with my friend and we stayed for 2 nights. Our whole experience at the Planet Traveler was just amazing. I have nothing negative to say about this place. The dorms and the bathrooms are nice and clean. There´s a really nice rooftop patio with a beautiful view of the Toronto skyline. The staff is friendly and helpful. There´s free breakfast (bagels, jam, peanut butter, cereal, milk, tea, coffee and bananas)! And on saturday evenings there´s a nice barbeque on the patio with free hamburgers, and a good atmosphere. Really nice and price worthy place!

Room Tip: I don't know if you can set preferences for specific rooms when you book, but I would recommend...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends