“Not to Impressed”

Ranked #43 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Goderich, Canada
“Not to Impressed”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Arrived at this hotel recommended and used by our travel agency. Front desk staff was all right but not overly friendly. The room are nice and modern but very dark and bathroom light was located inside the bathroom and near the sink. We paid for the room which also was including two weeks parking. However, two hours after our arrival we went back to our vehicle and found it had been stolen from the hotel. The manager was not helpful or very friendly regarding the situation. We were not even offered a little discount or nothing. The hotel does not have any type of security cameras etc. SO WILL NOT USE THIS HOTEL AGAIN! Moxies is very loud and noisy and anyone has access to the restaurant and parking for them is up front and at the one side of the hotel so its not just for guests. The food was not to badly priced but did come served luke warm to cold. Overall would not use this hotel again or recommend it to any of my friends.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank hobbitt1265
GM_Toronto, Manager at Sandman Signature Toronto Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Scott,
Thank you for taking the time to write a comment about our hotel. We do appreciate your business and your time in giving us feedback about our property and service. I am very sorry to hear that your car was stolen from our property. We have read your comments about our parking lot and have immediately increased the frequency of our security team at the moment while we get a better solution to safeguards our guests' cars. Your concern about our Moxie's restaurant has also been relayed to the restaurant team. Our daily goal is to reach and exceed our guests' expectation and we appreciate any comments that will aid us in achieving that goal.
Once more, thank you for telling us about your experience. That will help us more in creating a better future value.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Recently did a 4-night stay mid March at the Sandman Signature Toronto Airport Hotel. First time with this Chain and I was impressed. We were there with a 12 person Sales Group attending the Fabtech 2014 Show nearby and with Meetings at the Hotel and we found it was a great place to stay.

Central location near YYZ and The Toronto Congress Center. Nice rooms that that seemed refurbished at some point and well maintained. Room cleaners do an excellent job, room consistently well cleaned & stocked everyday. Friendly and helpful staff. Small coffee/snack bar open in the lobby early each morning for a quick breakfast on the run. Parking is $12 per Day. Complimentary YYZ Airport Shuttle. Free Wi-Fi.

Having the Moxie’s Grill & Bar on site was a bonus, no real need to eat off site but options nearby. Great restaurant/bar for the evening or breakfast. Very busy so if taking a client there its recommended to arrive before peak times as crowding and noise can be excessive later in the evening. Same for Breakfast so best to get the bill when the food is served if in a rush.

We took a vote and the Customer Service Star for the week was Sarah I. who worked evenings at Moxie’s. Coincidentally, everywhere we sat Sarah found us and looked after our group and our clients with professionalism. Sarah demonstrated an incredible memory for names/preferences and truly made our stay more enjoyable. Sarah should be a Trainer for Customer Service in our opinion. Moxie’s is a fast paced work place and not everyone can excel in that kind of environment. Too bad we were not "real" secret shoppers for Northland Properties or she would have received a pay increase lol.

Now I know why this location was frequently sold out ...probably one of the best hotels near YYZ in my experience’s….and our new favourite spot for future meetings.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have a nice lay-out. Not close to an expressway and Aircraft not noticeable so almost a...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank TM643
GM_Toronto, General Manager at Sandman Signature Toronto Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
I love when we receive detailed reviews about the experience that our guest have during their stay at our hotel. You touched on many things about our great property and we appreciate the feedback. On all that you’re experienced from the shuttle at arrival, quality and cleanliness of our room and the interaction with our associate an excellent review. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you soon.
London, Ontario
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

We arrived around 10:30 pm. The woman at the front desk wasn't friendly, almost dismissive which isn't a huge deal but kind of disappointing. Not the hotels fault though, she might of been having a rough night but I still think it's important that staff be friendly, as it is part of the first impression of the hotel. The decor in the lobby is very sleek and modern, and it was kept nice and warm.

Our room looked impressive when we walked in. We had a suite with a king bed. It's fairly small, but had everything you would ever need. There was a pocket sliding door that went into the bathroom from the kitchenette. That door was a bit useless as it was incredibly noisy and didn't lock properly. The bathroom was also accessible from the bedroom with a proper door but if you had a family staying and the kids slept in the living room, it would be difficult to access the bathroom at night without waking everyone up.

Cleanliness was an issue. The guest before us had used he microwave and the cleaning staff did not clean it. There was dried food on the interior of it. There was also a mark on the toilet seat, not sure what that was. Cleaned it myself.

The workmanship was a bit shoddy. Quick and cheap construction I imagine. The impressive decor lost it's impressiveness after you started noticing all the poorly done work. It ended up making the room look cheap.

The restaurant attached to the hotel (Moxie's) was expensive, which is fine except the food wasn't worth the expense and was served to me fairly cold. The waitress we had was very friendly and personable but a couple of the waitresses were wearing questionable dress/skirts. This was for breakfast at 7:30 am and they were dressed for cocktails at 9 pm. The temperature of the food is not the hotels fault but should be addressed since they depend on each other for business. The waitresses clothing is their own choice. Out of the lot of them, only 2 were inappropriate so not a huge deal. Jut kind of unappetizing so early in the morning. If you can't bend down to pick something up without showing everything then you probably shouldn't be wearing it to work. The short skirts might be a plus for some people though so take it as you will.

Hard to find parking, partly because from what I understand, the hotel has a lot of people just coming in to eat at the restaurant, and many of the parking spaces by the front entry are delegated to the restaurant patrons only, which I found a little weird.

When we checked out, the lady at the desk (a different one from the night before) was very friendly. She was alone and swamped too, so I appreciated her effort to make us feel welcome.

My rating is at the lower end of average. Overall I would give this hotel a try again because for whatever reason we got a good price on it, which was significantly less than all the other hotels around. That being said, if the same issues arose, I wouldn't bother trying again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank smarie006
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is very troubling to me that you were not welcomed up to our own standard, I am also disappointed that you did not find the room cleaned to our standard. I have spoken with the mangers overseeing these departments and your feedback will be used for retaining purposes, however I am happy to read that at checkout you did receive our friendly and warm service which is what we are known for. I thank you once again for the detailed feedback we greatly appreciated guest like yourself who help us improve on what we enjoy doing serving our guest.
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I was put up at this hotel, due to some flight delays and missed connections thanks to Air Canada Rouge.

But I must say, this place was a pleasant surprise and a nice stay.

The room on the 4th floor was quite large, with a "living room" area including a couch, chair, TV and coffee table that you first entered. Then there was a small area with a microwave, bar fride and counter. Across from that was the a nice bathroom.

The "bedroom" part of the room was very nice as well. Large windows, bed was comfy and also had a tv in this section of the room.

This seemed to be a fairly new hotel, and was quite modern and uptodate.

It also had a Moxie's resturant that is attatched to it, which was a great place for a couple drinks and food.

While I don't know what the normal cost of this hotel or package runs(had shuttle service, breakfast included) I would certainly look at staying here again if I needed to overnite for a flight in or out of Toronto.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your time at the hotel I am glad that we were given the opportunity to be part of this experienceThank you for staying with us as we look forward to welcoming you back.
Orangeville, Canada
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Pictures on the internet can be very deceiving. We stayed here last week before our flight down south. We walked in and found the carpets very dirty and covered with dirt on the entrance as well as on our floor. The carpet is black so it is very obvious that it was not vaccumed that day. We walked into our room and the window was open. I immediately noticed a smell of old cigarette smoke in the room that never left even with the window open most of the night. I left in the morning with a huge headache and NO SLEEP. I was extremely disappointed that a hooker was invited to the room next door and even after my banging the walls and staff coming up and telling someone else on the floor that the next call would have to be made to 911 by a guest, we should have left. It was a Saturday night and we barely got into the Moxie's restaurant downstairs for supper. We did park our car and the only good thing about this stayover was that the shuttle was already at the terminal when we got there so we did not have to wait for our ride back to pick up our car. It is not the quietest place to stay at all either, just too many people around going to the bar and restaurant downstairs, but perhaps that was because it was a weekend. We know of other quiet and cleaner places, so we will not be going back. This hotel was way too expensive as well for one night with parking.

Room Tip: Dirty, noisy, no sleep at all.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OntarioTravellers684
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is very troubling to me that you were not welcomed up to our own standard, I am also disappointed that you did not find the carpets cleaned to our standard. I am sorry that you were not able to sleep because you had to leave the window open. Please accept my apologies I have spoken with the mangers overseeing these departments and your feedback will be used for retaining purposes, I thank you once again for the detailed feedback we greatly appreciated guest like yourself who help us improve on what we enjoy doing serving our guest.
Reviewed 3 March 2014

When I arrived at the hotel for a two night stay, I was told that they overbooked for that night but could come back for the second night. It was hard for me to understand how this occurred considering I was booked there with a large block of rooms for a work convention. We had a prepaid negotiated contract for a block of rooms. This is just poor business. When I returned the second night, the hotel upgraded me to a suite. The suite had a washer/dryer, living room, kitchen and separate bedroom. It had a “1994 first apartment” vibe.

Disappointing experience.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank KMichelleM
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Let me begin by apologizing for the inconvenience that you had to experience, it was an internal error that caused this mix up with your reservation. This is not our standard way of doing business. We greatly appreciate your kindness and understanding. I thank you for the feedback.
Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed 28 February 2014

my wife and i stay here every yr now before we go south parking lot always cleared so easy to park so not worried about getting the car out when you come back the moxies resteraunt down stairs a spot we always hit for a nice meal before we go away and its always very clean with great service and the shuttle runs often so no rush either way
makes it very simple for travelling for us

Room Tip: i pay a couple extra bucks 20 and get a suite i love it
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank firejockey19
GM_Toronto, General Manager at Sandman Signature Toronto Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
I want to thank you for taking the time to write these kind words about your experience at our hotel. Our associates are always striving to welcome our guest, and reading a response like this will encourage them to strive harder. I like to personally on behalf of the team as we are looking forward to welcoming you back.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Toronto
Radisson Suite Hotel Toronto Airport
Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel & Conference Centre
Westin Toronto Airport
#61 of 137 in Toronto
Residence Inn Toronto Airport
TownePlace Suites Mississauga-Airport Corporate Centre
Hampton Inn by Hilton Toronto Airport Corporate Centre

Been to Sandman Signature Toronto Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!