“Great experience! Amazing value!”

Sandman Signature Toronto Airport Hotel
Ranked #41 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
PA
“Great experience! Amazing value!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2009

We booked a stay after reading the reviews here. I am so pleased we did! We got a Family Suite for under $100 USD per night on a weekend. The suite had 2 rooms. The first was a child's room near the door with bunk beds, a TV and bean bag chairs. The bean bag chairs were such a cute, useful touch and our kids loved them. The second room had a very nice, comfortable king-sized bed, flat screen TV, desk and large window.

Our original plan was to put both kids in the child's room, but my daughter is only 3 years old and felt too scared to sleep in her own room with her baby brother in a foreign place.

So the first night, I slept with my daughter in the child's room. I did not sleep well at all. There was a lot of noise from the hallway and the bed was pretty hard. However, she slept very soundly. The second night, I traded with my husband, and slept in the adult room with my baby. My husband had no problems sleeping in the child's room. He didn't notice the noise from the hallway and felt the bed was nice and firm. My daughter had another good night's sleep in the child's room as well. I am a light sleeper, but both of them are heavy sleepers so it was great for them.

The king bed was very comfortable with amazing pillows and a cozy comforter. The kitchenette was great. The toiletries provided in the bathroom were quality products that smelled terrific!

The hotel lobby is modern and very nice. The hotel rooms are very nicely decorated. The service I received at this hotel is the best hotel service I have ever had! The front desk staff was very knowledgeable and friendly. Very easy check-in and check-out. We had a problem with a lock in our room that was resolved immediately and courteously.

The hotel pool is small, but clean. The electronic room key cards had to be fixed a couple of times throughout our stay as they stopped working. We also had an issue with the temperature in the suite. Most guests staying in a Family Suite want to close the door between rooms - thus, the reason for getting the suite instead of just a hotel room with 2 beds. We were told by the staff at check-out that the closing of this door messes up the thermostat. The heater is set up so that you cannot adjust it manually, you can only adjust the temperature which is not accurate. We were either way too hot or way too cold any time the door was closed. This needs to be fixed by management asap. Also, they provide a hair dryer that cannot be plugged in to the outlet in the bathroom due to the size of the hair dryer plug and the proximity of a screwed down bathroom mirror on the wall. I just took the hair dryer into the bigger bedroom and used the mirror there. Seemed like a strange thing in a hotel so full of great decor and amazing service.

We wanted to eat in the restaurant located within the hotel, but walked over to it and determined it was a little too nice for young children.

Would recommend to anyone as long as they are heavy sleepers or do not sleep in the child's room of the Family Suite. The hotel location is somewhat removed from the energy and life of the city, but we were more than willing to make that sacrifice for such a great stay. The area on the other side of the highway seemed a little dirty and sketchy, but the immediate area of this hotel seemed quite safe. We consider this place to be quite a find and will stay here anytime we are in the Toronto area.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Leek, Staffs
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2009

Comfortable, clean, relaxing. Also good grub available on site.

Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
Stuttgart, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2009

Arrived in the afternoon with Air Transat from Frankfurt and joined the bunch of people waiting for the hotel shuttles.
The hotels website stated a free bus transfer.
Several hotel chaines coming and going, not the Sandman. After 30 minutes I´ve tried to call, well, as usual in such situations the number has changed!.
And when I´ve secured the new number, the shuttle runs around the corner.
Some ten minutes to the hotel. No time to wait at check in, the real friendly girl there told me that the shuttle runs not with a fixed schedule, it runs by call. Ok so far.
Immediatelly after I´ve asked for a top floor room the girl offered me storey 15 with a nice view to the approaching planes into Toronto airport. Gladly accepted.
And much to my surprise she offered me also a free breakfast voucher for my two times at the hotel.
The room was spacious and perfectly clean. A large bed and also a working area and separate sofa and chairs.
The bathroom fitted with the warm welcomed bathtub.
No remarkable noise from the planes or from the rooms nearby.
No buffet style breakfast here, the girl cant believe that I only asked for some toast and jam together with coffee in the morning, no full canadian style breakfast needed.
Good quality, friendly staff over all, the shuttle runs immediatelly after my calls, not more than five minutes to wait during several times I´ve used it.
Real good value for money here.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2009

Stayed here again after about six months. Had another good experience here. The room was great but I am sure the management is aware that the carpets seem to be buckling in the rooms. This was certainly the case in mine. It didn't detract from my stay but the hotel will certainly need to deal with what must be a installation quality problem. The highlight was my evening in the restaurant/bar which for a Wednesday night was hopping. The food and wine were great and the atmosphere was wonderful. Seems to be a local hotspot for those who work in or around the airport as most people did not seem to be staying at the hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2009

We arrived in Toronto very late (near midnight) and had effortless check-in. We had reserved a family suite, and this worked out for us very well. Our two older sons (aged 12 and 6) loved the bunk beds and bean bags. The staff were very friendly. We appreciated having the microwave and refrigerator so we could have breakfast and lunch in our room. The hotel was nicely designed and outfitted. The only two things I can think of that would have improved our stay would be free parking and breakfast. (The other two hotels we stayed at in Ontario had breakfast included, but we had to pay for parking everywhere.)

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank OrganicMama
Rochester, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2009

This year my family took a vacation to Maui. We found airfare was significantly cheaper from the Toronto airport than Rochester, NY (even including gas, parking, and hotel costs). Based on positive feedback from tripadvisor we stayed at the Sandman the night before our early morning departure.

Check-in was a breeze and the man at the desk was incredibly friendly, and very helpful. I asked about room rates for the night we'd be coming home. The man offered us a discount. In the end we decided to drive home the same day because we weren't tired enough to warrant staying another night in Toronto. However, at the price offered it was rather tempting!

Part of the deal there is that you can park your car for about 2 weeks. They have a shuttle service that takes you to and from the airport. The first shuttle leaves at 4:05 AM which was ideal for our 6:45 AM departure. When you return you have to call the hotel for the shuttle to pick you up.

The only problem we had was that we waited 25 minutes for the shuttle when we came home. I had to make a second call. Apparently the driver went to the wrong terminal.

The hotel is incredibly clean and surprisingly quiet considering the proximity to the airport.

Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2009

This place is new, paid 109cnd. feels like a small condo apt. i had a corner room overlooking the airport. Good restaurant, you dont have to leave the property. Hands down the best for the price.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Toronto
Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel & Conference Centre
Residence Inn Toronto Airport
Radisson Suite Hotel Toronto Airport
Westin Toronto Airport
#51 of 132 in Toronto

Been to Sandman Signature Toronto Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!