“beware listed hours are not honored”
Review of Crush Wine Bar & Restaurant - CLOSED

Crush Wine Bar & Restaurant
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: Contemporary, Wine Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown West
Cross street: King, West of Spadina
Transit: Public Transit: Via the TTC. Take the westbound streetcar form St. Andrew subway station (King Street) to Spadina Ave., or from the Spadina Subway Station, take the Spadina streetcar southbound to King Street. Crush is located just west of Spadina on the south side of King Street West.
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I have been here a few times in the last couple years. The wine list is extensive, with usually a nice variety of wines by the glass that are pricey, but not excessively so for the area. Food is not always consistent, but usually pretty good, with service sometimes great, but often not so much. The recent problem, repeated twice, is early closing of the kitchen when "business is slow." I dragged a colleague 1km in the cold last Sunday night, after verifying on the web site that they closed at 10pm. We arrived right at 9pm, and the door was locked. No answer when we knocked (they probably couldn't hear us, the door is down stairs from the resto). Weds night I was ready to try again.This time the posted closing time is 11pm, and I called at 9:45 to make sure. Glad I did. The guy who answered recalled that they had closed early Sunday ("it was slow"), was not at all apologetic that we had walked to and from in the cold after looking forward to some nice wine. He then informed me that they had just closed the kitchen for Weds night as well. He claimed the door would not be locked in the near future and that we could come for wine. No apology, no offer of a free cheese plate (I assume they could handle that even with the kitchen closed), just try earlier next time. We found another wine bar.
So the conclusion is that they have interesting wines and decent food, but make sure to call to confirm they didn't decide to close first, and don't be surprised if they act like they would prefer to be home than serving you.

Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

Poor service. Brought a $130 bottle of Caymus. Server had no idea. Poured it out, didn't let us taste. Sediment everywhere. Not the kind of service I would expect for a so called "wine bar". Aperitif beverage arrived after first course. Wine glass always empty. Had to ask for it to be filled. Disappointing service. Brought the wrong meals and brought the dessert menu before we even ordered dinner. Crush has gone downhill. Perhaps the server was new. Food was excellent however. No complaints on taste. Please work on the service.
We have eaten here several times before and always enjoyed it. I'm not sure if our sever was new... Or what the situation was but this will probably be our last time eating here.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

I ate here Sunday night. We had the first reservation after they opened and I was worried about them being slow however they were not. It was "buck-a-shuck" oysters and they were very good. In addition to that I had the ravioli for app, the bison for my main, and my date had the scallops. We also had a bottle of wine (suggested to us by our waiter).

The food was amazing, fresh and cooked to perfection. The flavors used completed each other and the wine that we were drinking. This was shocking due to myself having a red meat and my date having scallops. Prices were very reasonable for the quality, without wine a couple could get out of here for around 100 tax and tip included. With a bottle of wine expect 200+

Service was very good/attentive and not intrusive.

I have eaten at many restaurants in the top 50 of tripadvisors list for Toronto and this meal and service was just as good if not better than some of them!

I will be returning!

Reviewed 24 October 2013

We went to Crush wine bar on October 20, to celebrate a birthday. There were 6 in our party. We all ordered a starter, an entree and dessert. My mozzarella cheese salad was bland, the beet salad was the best choice which was served with a raspberry vingarette, nothing outstanding. I ordered the rib eye for 2. It was served on a wooden platter with mushroom. Although it was tasty the entree was cold when served. Obviously sat waiting for the other entrees at our table. The jerk hen was the most disappointing. Flavourless. It was served in a thin watery sauce. The best 2 entrees that were served was the curried risotto which had a nice sweet and mild curry flavor that wasn't overwhelming. The duck by far was the hit. The duck was done to perfection. For dessert the lemon tart was excellent. The service was good although the food did take a long time and as I previously mentioned my entree was cold. For the price and expectations the overall experience was disappointing.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

It was our first time and we will probably go back next time we are in Toronto. The wine tasting and pairing were a good experience and the food very good. It is not more expensive than all the other overpriced restaurant in town but if you want quality and something different go for it.