“Spectacular wine, food & vibe”
Review of Crush Wine Bar & Restaurant - CLOSED

Crush Wine Bar & Restaurant
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: Contemporary, Wine Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown West
Cross street: King, West of Spadina
Transit: Public Transit: Via the TTC. Take the westbound streetcar form St. Andrew subway station (King Street) to Spadina Ave., or from the Spadina Subway Station, take the Spadina streetcar southbound to King Street. Crush is located just west of Spadina on the south side of King Street West.
Toronto, Canada
“Spectacular wine, food & vibe”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Came here after work with some colleagues and started with the Manhattan Flight and share plates; both of which were wonderful. Afterwards moved on to a bottle on red suggested by their extremely savvy wine manager, Tiffany to enhance the flavors in the tender rib-eye. Finished the evening with some truffles that were on the house. Thanks for an unforgettable dining experience!

• Visited January 2014

Toronto, Canada
“Spotty ... Expected Better”
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Went for a business lunch with a set menu. Few bright spots, but was not happy overall.
I got the mixed green salad (marinated lentils, shaved fennel + parsley aioli). My verdict: bland and disappointing, couldn’t tell that the lentils were marinated, they tasted like the $1.99 can from NoFrills (where I assume they came from). I know it is very difficult to balance the fresh, crisp greens (and they were fresh and crisp and came from an expensive place) with any dressing; and most places err in dousing and smothering, but this “aioli” was more like not there, like someone wiped leftover dressing in a bowl with the greens (aioli is garlicky, oily with byte … this sample had none). Fennel has savor and character, even shaved thin, in this dish it tasted like nothing-grass, you couldn’t tell it from the lettuce.
Main was, for me, the rainbow trout (split peas, pickled beets + warm bacon vinaigrette). My verdict: trout excellent, the other stuff a blunder. The fish was seared skin side down to perfection … I enjoyed (the smallish piece) immensely unfortunately it sat on a glob of slop. The split peas (rather chick peas IMO) were stewed with some parsley … no cumin, no curry, no salt, no pepper: no taste and it didn’t look good either. I found three pieces very cleverly pickled beets and I thought they should have sat separately on the plate … they were just thrown in there: doesn’t the chef inspect every plate that leaves his kitchen? A real chef, I mean. Tinley chopped bacon bits (very tasty by themselves) had their grease cut with vinegar: too much vinegar I think and the mixture was added to the plate … didn’t do anything to the ruined fish … who in their right mind pairs up sloppy chickpea stew with pan seared trout?! I mean, it may work but not in this execution.
The sweets were fabulous: deconstructed desert (my word) as a chocolate bomb floats on very pleasant peanut brittle and banana cream: splendidly rich and sinfully creamy but not at all overwhelming: an work of art.
They served three wines: (1) Hunter’s Sauvignon Blanc 2012, Marlborough, New Zealand excellent, the best of the lot (citrus and summer days, slightly peppery, great color). I had this with the fish. (2) Tawse Cabernet/Merlot 2011, Niagara, Ontario. Had that with the salad: as a rule I’m against blended wines (my wallet loves them though), because you risk to taste the bad qualities of the components rather than, what the cellar master hopes and shoots for, the better ones, but in this case the wine was splendid: deep red color, good legs, smoothly blackberry with hint of vanilla almost not tannin. (3) Tawse Riesling 2012, Niagara, Ontario, the weakest of the lot (too fruity almost flowery). This was my choice to go with the desert.

• Visited February 2014
“Awful food”
Reviewed 6 February 2014

We're there for holiday staff dinner night, food was uncooked, portion was so little, waiters refused to bring any hot sauce or something else, as my pasta had no taste, staff cleared dessert plates even it was not done. Toilet has no light, terrible smell. We were their potential business, we won't, recommend our guests to crush

• Visited December 2013
Montreal, Canada
“beware listed hours are not honored”
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I have been here a few times in the last couple years. The wine list is extensive, with usually a nice variety of wines by the glass that are pricey, but not excessively so for the area. Food is not always consistent, but usually pretty good, with service sometimes great, but often not so much. The recent problem, repeated twice, is early closing of the kitchen when "business is slow." I dragged a colleague 1km in the cold last Sunday night, after verifying on the web site that they closed at 10pm. We arrived right at 9pm, and the door was locked. No answer when we knocked (they probably couldn't hear us, the door is down stairs from the resto). Weds night I was ready to try again.This time the posted closing time is 11pm, and I called at 9:45 to make sure. Glad I did. The guy who answered recalled that they had closed early Sunday ("it was slow"), was not at all apologetic that we had walked to and from in the cold after looking forward to some nice wine. He then informed me that they had just closed the kitchen for Weds night as well. He claimed the door would not be locked in the near future and that we could come for wine. No apology, no offer of a free cheese plate (I assume they could handle that even with the kitchen closed), just try earlier next time. We found another wine bar.
So the conclusion is that they have interesting wines and decent food, but make sure to call to confirm they didn't decide to close first, and don't be surprised if they act like they would prefer to be home than serving you.

• Visited December 2013
Ontario
“Service was terrible. ”
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

Poor service. Brought a $130 bottle of Caymus. Server had no idea. Poured it out, didn't let us taste. Sediment everywhere. Not the kind of service I would expect for a so called "wine bar". Aperitif beverage arrived after first course. Wine glass always empty. Had to ask for it to be filled. Disappointing service. Brought the wrong meals and brought the dessert menu before we even ordered dinner. Crush has gone downhill. Perhaps the server was new. Food was excellent however. No complaints on taste. Please work on the service.
We have eaten here several times before and always enjoyed it. I'm not sure if our sever was new... Or what the situation was but this will probably be our last time eating here.