“Best.Birthday Dinner.Ever”

Dining options: After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown West
Cross street: King, West of Spadina
Transit: Public Transit: Via the TTC. Take the westbound streetcar form St. Andrew subway station (King Street) to Spadina Ave., or from the Spadina Subway Station, take the Spadina streetcar southbound to King Street. Crush is located just west of Spadina on the south side of King Street West.
“Best.Birthday Dinner.Ever”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

This place is amazing! A large group of us went for a birthday dinner last weekend that was put together only days before. These guys were superb. The waitress was amazing, friendly, professional, attentive and funny:) The ambiance was intimate but not in the dismal, closed off sort way. The food was absolutely amazing, as was the wine:) Johnny, the supervisor took great care of us. He made sure we were being attended to and was if we needed anything, so helpful and professional. Really impressed by the service. Definitely will be returning!.

• Visited May 2014

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Crush. Great lunch spot!”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

My fiancé and I had the pleasure of having lunch at crush last Thursday. The food was delicious and the Cobb salad was out of this world. Our server was such a pleasure to chat with. Thanks John. We will be back for sure.

• Visited May 2014
“Slow & rude service”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Had a group dinner here last night and had a totally horrible experience. We experienced extremely slow service (prolonged wait times between taking our drink orders and receiving them, between taking our food orders and receiving them, getting our bill, etc.), and the food value wasn't great all (e.g., the bone marrow order was just one piece of bone in contrast to the two pieces at bar isabel or east thirty six) but if that wasn't bad enough, the ultimate kicker was this...

We received one bill for the entire group, which given the slow service, I thought I would alleviate things by calculating everyone's total, getting their credit cards and having it all nicely organized for payment. Our server finally arrives with the credit card machine and we start working through the payments. Literally mid-transaction, another service takes what is apparently the only machine in the restaurant to close out another group's transaction. Mid-transaction! Can you imagine having gone to the trouble having broken up the group's payment into different credit cards and have your server stop charging you mid-transaction and have you wait for what seemed like an eternity in order to resume payment? Incredibly irritating to say the least.

By the time all was said and done, it took us an hour after we had dinner to finish payment and leave the restaurant. Needless to say this screwed up our plans for the remainder of the night. Oh and I'm not even mentioning the fact that manager, Ryan, did not handle the situation well. He was supposed to compensate us for the rudeness and poor service but he came back saying there's nothing he could do, and then ran off again and came back with two $50 gift cards. I gave them to my friend who made the reservation; no way I'm coming back here again.

• Visited March 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Spectacular wine, food & vibe”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Came here after work with some colleagues and started with the Manhattan Flight and share plates; both of which were wonderful. Afterwards moved on to a bottle on red suggested by their extremely savvy wine manager, Tiffany to enhance the flavors in the tender rib-eye. Finished the evening with some truffles that were on the house. Thanks for an unforgettable dining experience!

• Visited January 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Spotty ... Expected Better”
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Went for a business lunch with a set menu. Few bright spots, but was not happy overall.
I got the mixed green salad (marinated lentils, shaved fennel + parsley aioli). My verdict: bland and disappointing, couldn’t tell that the lentils were marinated, they tasted like the $1.99 can from NoFrills (where I assume they came from). I know it is very difficult to balance the fresh, crisp greens (and they were fresh and crisp and came from an expensive place) with any dressing; and most places err in dousing and smothering, but this “aioli” was more like not there, like someone wiped leftover dressing in a bowl with the greens (aioli is garlicky, oily with byte … this sample had none). Fennel has savor and character, even shaved thin, in this dish it tasted like nothing-grass, you couldn’t tell it from the lettuce.
Main was, for me, the rainbow trout (split peas, pickled beets + warm bacon vinaigrette). My verdict: trout excellent, the other stuff a blunder. The fish was seared skin side down to perfection … I enjoyed (the smallish piece) immensely unfortunately it sat on a glob of slop. The split peas (rather chick peas IMO) were stewed with some parsley … no cumin, no curry, no salt, no pepper: no taste and it didn’t look good either. I found three pieces very cleverly pickled beets and I thought they should have sat separately on the plate … they were just thrown in there: doesn’t the chef inspect every plate that leaves his kitchen? A real chef, I mean. Tinley chopped bacon bits (very tasty by themselves) had their grease cut with vinegar: too much vinegar I think and the mixture was added to the plate … didn’t do anything to the ruined fish … who in their right mind pairs up sloppy chickpea stew with pan seared trout?! I mean, it may work but not in this execution.
The sweets were fabulous: deconstructed desert (my word) as a chocolate bomb floats on very pleasant peanut brittle and banana cream: splendidly rich and sinfully creamy but not at all overwhelming: an work of art.
They served three wines: (1) Hunter’s Sauvignon Blanc 2012, Marlborough, New Zealand excellent, the best of the lot (citrus and summer days, slightly peppery, great color). I had this with the fish. (2) Tawse Cabernet/Merlot 2011, Niagara, Ontario. Had that with the salad: as a rule I’m against blended wines (my wallet loves them though), because you risk to taste the bad qualities of the components rather than, what the cellar master hopes and shoots for, the better ones, but in this case the wine was splendid: deep red color, good legs, smoothly blackberry with hint of vanilla almost not tannin. (3) Tawse Riesling 2012, Niagara, Ontario, the weakest of the lot (too fruity almost flowery). This was my choice to go with the desert.

• Visited February 2014