“Original and excellent!”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Queen Street and West Queen West
Reviewed 12 January 2013

We had heard that Ematei was worth seeking out, and we were very happy that we made a point of having dinner there during our short stay in Toronto back in October!

Living on the East Coast - mostly New York, but my wife also grew up in Maryland - we have had our share of good sushi. Ematei provides all kinds of imaginative alternatives from Japanese cuisine, as well as good sushi. My favorite was the sukiyaki don, beef and rice with a raw egg on top of it, that added flavor and succulence when I stirred it into the dish.

A great value also, as i recall. In New York City, Japanese food can be quite pricey. This was definitely not! A great meal, and not the only one in Toronto!

Reviewed 11 December 2012

I've been going to Ematei for many years -- lunch and dinner. The sushi is always superb: fresh, imaginative, beautifully presented. Other dishes have all been outstanding. If you're a tempura fan, you'll find that dish impeccably prepared -- crisply fried, surrounding a tender shrimp or vegetable. I won't order tempura anywhere else knowing that it won't, or may not, measure up to Ematei's. Noodles are also outstanding -- the udan is large enough to share and packed with good things. All the food leaves a fine taste in the mouth. Seating is private -- lots of space between tables. Service is always prompt and thoughtful. Prices are good -- and lunch especially seems a great deal for this standard of quality.

Reviewed 27 November 2012

Great little place, well-hidden, but worth seeking out. Excellent quality food, and service is very good.

Reviewed 10 November 2012

I go to Ematei at least once any time I visit Toronto. Perfect location for my Queen Street West wanderings and work meetings. It's bigger than most small restos of similar style in Tokyo, but retains the atmosphere quite nicely. I've only done lunch there, but the sushi is excellent and the bento boxes are ideal for simple choices done exceptionally well. Always a favourite. The service is top-notch, and I love the fact that the entire staff is Japanese!

2  Thank romaroamer
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We've been there for dinner and we've ordered the Take sushi dinner and the Tempura dinner. Both included the miso soup and salad which were very good and quite close to the original Japanese dish. Tempura i have to say was one of the best I've eaten in Toronto but sushi was very disappointing. There was too much wasabi in it, the fish slices were not thick enough and not as tender as they should have been. Also they had no special sauce for the sushi just soy sauce which changes the taste a bit. Service was excellent and the place looks very good, authentic. Prices are very good and the portions are quite big. Will definitely go there again but will stay away from the sushi :)