“Very good as usual, REAL JAPANESE & best tempura!”

Ematei Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #492 of 8,938 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Queen Street and West Queen West
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Went here for lunch and food was good as usual, tempura is still one of best in Toronto, in my opinion. Real Japanese restaurant run by some who actually speak Japanese, which was treat for my Uncle visiting to have real conversation about life and ended up our server knowing his son, which was very nice. :)

Food a bit slow to come,but nothing too bad,it was busy.

I am not sure if they still put wasabi in all sushi (not for me), but for lunch, one of best Japanese restaurants in the city.

I am not saying I only like Japanese food form Japanese people but it is rare in Toronto. One place I usually like as well not run by Japanese is called GUIREI on the harbourfront/queens quay area.

3  Thank Luke242

Reviewed 11 September 2013

Four of us went on 2013-09-04 for dinner. My Japanese friend recommended this restaurant. We were not disappointed. We order a few interesting dishes. The food was excellent. My uncle who was a chef said the food was good.

We ordered the Gyu Tan (beef tongue, $7.50), Gindara Kama Daikon (black cod neck, $7.00), Nabeyaki Udon ($13.50), Matsu Sushi dinner ($27.00), Nasudengaku (eggplant with sweet miso sauce, ($7.50) (our favourite), Una-Q Roll (BBQ eel, $6.00), Spicy Tuna Roll ($6.50).

We were very happy with all dishes. I would have never eaten a fish neck before but the it was worth the risk (our waitress recommended this dish when we asked for a recommendation).

Please have a look at my photos associated with this restaurant.

3  Thank ckchee
Reviewed 13 May 2013

My friends and me visited this place last weekend and we really liked the service and decoration there. We tried some sushi and fish there. we liked the sushi and i think fish was okay okay. we then tried some shrimp and chicken related items.We ate both cooked food and sashimi and I have a feeling it may have been the raw fish.
I find the prices quite affordable. You can find people from all the places here as now a days sushi is getting famous. One should visit this place for sure.

2  Thank Peter P
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Although a little pricey $70 for 2 people, their miso hotpot was delicious! The serving portion was more than enough for 2 people and the service was good too. Will definitely go back to try other dishes in the future

1  Thank Yuqian
Reviewed 29 March 2013 via mobile

Ive been here a couple of times before and has a pretty good experience but last time I ate here I ended up getting really sick the night I came home. We ate both cooked food and sashimi and I have a feeling it may have been the raw fish. Service always seems a bit slow here too. Won't come back again after that experience!!!!

3  Thank Sunseeker1121